Help! I've gained 2 lbs this week :(

Options
Hello,

everything seemed to be going well. I was losing 1 to 2 lbs a week for the last month. This week, I was away from home and did not watch what I ate (I was eating in restaurants) and I gained 2 lbs. :( any advice?

Replies

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    kharosc wrote: »
    Hello,

everything seemed to be going well. I was losing 1 to 2 lbs a week for the last month. This week, I was away from home and did not watch what I ate (I was eating in restaurants) and I gained 2 lbs. :( any advice?

Just remember this for next time, learn from it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    What exercises do you do? It could be that your gaining muscle - muscle weighs more than fat.
    Not likely unless they are eating in surplus along with progressive overload. And gaining 2lbs of muscle in a week. Even if PEDs were involved, not likely.
    It's just water retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you ate out more, you probably had way more salt (and possibly carbs) than normal. Both will cause water retention. Unless you ate 7000 calories over maintenance, you didn’t gain 2lbs of fat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You would have to eat an average of 1000 calories (7 days) or 1400 (over 5 days) above your maintenance to have gained fat.

Is this what you did? Its water weight/retention. Keep going with your plan it will stabilize in couple/three days.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Don’t stress. This is a journey. You just took a side street for a week and are now back on the main road. You don’t have to make up for time lost. Just focus in the main road and press on.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What exercises do you do? It could be that your gaining muscle - muscle weighs more than fat.

None of this is true. You cannot gain muscle that rapidly, even if you were using steroids and muscle and fat (and rocks and feathers) all weigh the same. 1lb=1lb.

More likely you’re retaining water from poor eating. get back to your normal routine and everything will even out in time.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Some say you can gain 1 pound of muscle a week but you can't fast track muscle gain. Men can gain 1-2 lbs muscle mass a month. Women, .5 - 1.5 ish. If you're still working out past the first year it will continue to be slow going.
  • kharosc
    kharosc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I weighed myself again and gained a little bit but less than 2 pounds. It's water retention.