"it takes the body one year to adapt to a new weight"

Options
https://youtube.com/watch?v=HmtbL4j9_hw

So I just watched the above video and this was in the comments below the video:
As a personal trainer, i don’t think it’s her fault for going on the show. She thought that this was the answer to lose weight. Everyone wants to lose weight fast, but in reality, fast weight loss isn’t permanent. Your body takes a FULL YEAR to acclimate to your new body, and even then the more weight you lose, longer it takes to get your body used to it. This show should be renamed “Biggest Eating Disorder”. It encourages throwing up and starvation as the answer to health. How foolish.

Does anyone know how accurate this is and where we can find legit research to support it? If this is the truth then this is a huge piece of information that supports the idea that slower is better and provides a little "Why" logic behind it.

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    Take a look at this site:
    http://www.nwcr.ws/

they do depend on people being honest, but they collect information from people who lose and keep the loss from coming back for at least a year. Stats I have seen in studies are not very encouraging; only 8-15% of people who lose a lot of weight keep it off. I am committed to becoming one of them. After losing over 60, I have been maintaining and slowly losing a few more (because maintenance is scary; making a bigger cushion) for a little over 2 months. It does not feel natural yet. It feels really good, but I am still tracking every morsel and probably will be for the indefinite future.

I wonder if I count. I lost 30lbs before, and kept it of for 7 years.

Yes. Their qualifier is at least 30 pounds and at least a year.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I've been maintaining a 140lb loss for 9months now, but at least 120lb of that I've kept off for well over a year do I count

Not sure. Go to the site and there is a link to sign up and another to ask questions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    If you've lost 30 lbs and kept it off for a year you qualify. So if you lost 50 and kept at least 30 off it still qualifies based on my understanding, You have to complete a short application to be accepted into the study. They send you a few surveys per year. You don't pay them and they don't pay you.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    As far as the original question is concerned, it's my understanding that they did a follow up study on contestants as much as six years later and found that they still had a severely messed up metabolism and in fact, far from adjusting after one year, they seemed to get worse.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I binged when I was heavy and I still worry every now and then when something trips the desire to. I have avoided it pretty well so far; I allow the food but log it and stop short of going over (much; sometimes I roll things into the next day). It is more tempting now that I am far enough below my limit (my goal was my upper limit) that a binge or two wouldn't put me over it. But allowing the behavior would be a much bigger problem than having the event or two. I think having the absolute upper limit will help. Right now, I am trying to stay in a range of 5 to 10 pounds below the limit.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it takes the body a year to adapt to a new weight, but I think it will take *me* a very long time to psychologically adapt to my new eating habits. The only thing that keeps me on track some days is the knowledge that my biggest weakness -- sugary stuff -- is off limits, because it literally causes me severe joint pain.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I think that there exist a few categories of people when it comes to "needing to lose weight".

I am more familiar with the "has been quite overweight, obese, or morbidly obese for a big chunk of his life" category.

There exist at least one study that showed no difference in terms of "long term" success as to whether the weight loss was slow or fast.

The fast group received follow up nutritional counselling appointments and had access to support groups during the time period that the slow group was still losing.

Last I checked, my counselling appointment budget was running on empty.

I think it very likely that, when it comes to the category "has been quite overweight, obese, or morbidly obese for a big chunk of his life", there exists a behavioral and/or psychological component that has to be mitigated for in order to achieve and maintain weight loss.

I used to think that people were funny when they were talking about emotional eating. I wasn't eating emotionally. I just wanted a couple of tubs of Haagen Dazs after having to deal with annoying people all day!

In my opinion an extended time period of weight loss can only help by giving us the time to explore and internalize our new coping strategies.

Plus there are physiological issues with going too fast (i.e. having too large of a deficit) including changes to hormones and neurotransmitters.

Plus... it's not like we get to "stop dieting" when we get to 'goal'; not if we want to keep it off.

^^you can call it "dieting" or not, but the maintenance piece is the most challenging.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Plus... it's not like we get to "stop dieting" when we get to 'goal'; not if we want to keep it off.

I think that many of us are under the impression that we do get to stop watching what we eat and making sure we exercise when we get to goal. I know I was for a good chunk of my life, but that stupid weight kept coming back!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I think this is a better way of doing it, a bit of a loss, followed by a maintenance period, then more loss. I have inadvertently done this due to an injury, and ended up plateauing for 4 months. It wasn't intentional at all but I learned a lot about myself during those 4 months, and I still have a long way to go mentally before I will keep the weight off. However I have also come a LONG way as well. I no longer binged like I used to but I would also have a few days where I ate more than I should have and felt the guilt associated with that. I am not back into a losing phase, and hope to do this till the end of the year where I will go back to maintaining. be interesting to see how it goes.