OMG Sugar

Options
I’ve been tracking my eating habits for almost a month. I’ve been noticing that I regularly go over the daily sugar goal, which is 45 grams. Today I just googled it, and it turns out the daily recommendation for wemon is 25 grams!
I’ve been trying to reduce my daily sugar intake since I noticed that I was going over the goal, and it’s a lot harder than I thought! Now that I realize even 45 grams is too much I’m kinda in shock!
Anyone else come to this realization when you started tracking eating habits?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I don't even track it. I don't have any medical conditions that warrant be to be mindful of carbs . I know carbs do not cause weight gain,a calorie surplus does. So I'm not worried about it. I eat a well balanced wide variety diet with plenty of whole foods and also some treats.

This is me, as well. I removed sugar from my display and showed fiber, instead.

Same. I don't track sugar, nor do I worry about it.
  • MamaNess2018
    MamaNess2018 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. It’s good to hear other perspectives on this. I think I’m going to keep it for a little while longer because I am prone to eating candy and it’s been good motivation NOT to eat any.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I don't even track it. I don't have any medical conditions that warrant be to be mindful of carbs . I know carbs do not cause weight gain,a calorie surplus does. So I'm not worried about it. I eat a well balanced wide variety diet with plenty of whole foods and also some treats.

This is me, as well. I removed sugar from my display and showed fiber, instead.

Me, three.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I track iron instead
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It's good to watch, while you're learning. When you see a big number, look at where it comes from. See which foods have it, and what kind. My breakfast this morning is plain, full fat yogurt (with peanut butter) and the yogurt has 12.
    As mentioned earlier: the guidelines are for added sugars.

And then when you're acclimated it, replace it with fiber. When I travel I *only* track fiber (mentally). Am I getting enough? Great.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I go over at breakfast when I go heavy on fruit. Like others, I ignore it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Just checked my sugar for yesterday (which I knew was high because I had nearly a liter of milk), and I was right. Plain boring milk alone shot me over MFP target. That, in addition to lots of strawberries and tomatoes, and my sugar shot right up. I didn't have even a gram of added sugar (which I believe is fine in moderation, by the way). Stop worrying too much. Unless you're overeating it or undereating nutritious foods you should be fine.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and I don't even look at sugars. My glucose is good as long as my macros are balanced within my calorie bank.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I’ve been tracking my eating habits for almost a month. I’ve been noticing that I regularly go over the daily sugar goal, which is 45 grams. Today I just googled it, and it turns out the daily recommendation for wemon is 25 grams!
    I’ve been trying to reduce my daily sugar intake since I noticed that I was going over the goal, and it’s a lot harder than I thought! Now that I realize even 45 grams is too much I’m kinda in shock!
    Anyone else come to this realization when you started tracking eating habits?

No, because I was aware the 25 g rec was for added sugar, and I don't eat that much added sugar.

I am unaware of any credible recommendation for limiting total sugar, so instead I focus on having enough protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's good to watch, while you're learning. When you see a big number, look at where it comes from. See which foods have it, and what kind. My breakfast this morning is plain, full fat yogurt (with peanut butter) and the yogurt has 12.
    As mentioned earlier: the guidelines are for added sugars.

And then when you're acclimated it, replace it with fiber. When I travel I *only* track fiber (mentally). Am I getting enough? Great.

Good advice.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sugar is one of the major things i watch out for as well. Before this journey, i'd eat sugar all day and think i was ok, until i took my 26 year old self to the doctor and was told i was now pre diabetic... It was hard only for a short time to stay within my new goal for sugar intake. But the solution is finding things that you love to eat....that happen to be low in sugar. For me, its 1/2 cup of blue berries or 1/2 a banana in my morning oatmeal, a green granny smith apple w a tbsp of peanut butter (which also counts as protein) or whatever amount of sugar is in my sweet potato at dinner. Find what u like, and allow the sugar to be from whole foods is the take home.

please understand that eating sugar in excess doesnt cause diabetes or prediabetes,thats an old myth. other factors cause diabetes and it can be hereditary as well.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    DanR_85 wrote: »
    It's a huge can of worms this one.

I eat a lot of fruit, therefore my sugar goal is *always* over the recommended target. No fitness app, nor human, will ever convince me that eating fruit is bad for me.

...but there are people, even in this community, who'll have you believe that eating fruit is as bad as eating chocolate all day.

Take a look at the sugars you're eating, if they're not refined, and mostly coming from whole-food sources (fruits) then you're probably fine.

If you have a problem or risk for bigh blood sugar, and apparently if you are pregnant (I assume a gestational diabetes thing) than even fruit sugar really needs to be watched. It can cause serious health issues if you are already at risk.
    Otherwise, a certain amount of fruit sugars is good for you, especially when it comes with all the other naturally occurring vitamins and minerals. Just be aware of how quickly sweet, fruity, calories can build up.