Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey guys, I’ve been reading up about this/watching YouTube reviews of how people have been getting on. I’ve started IF but only for a few days now ... just want to know if anyone else does it and how they are finding their results?

Replies

• raviiin
    raviiin Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I do it (loosely) only because it gives me less time to snack. Especially since I've been working from home the past month, its very easy for me to go back and forth to the kitchen. I used to do 16:9 very strictly, but now I dont take it so seriously. If I forget to eat my last 100 calories until 10 or 11pm I'm going to eat them anyway. its not the magic secret to fat melting that youtubers claim it is.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I usually have a 12 hour window where I don't eat (last meal around 8pm, breakfast around 8:30am usually) so I don't see how adding a couple extra hours to that window would make any difference.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    It's not really intermittent when it's done everyday. It's simply skipping meals and eating them later in the day. Some may eat them earlier in the day but not typically. The metabolism slows down about 3-4 pm in the afternoon. It can be hard to consume the day's calories in the eating window. It can be stressful on the hormonal balance to sustain activity levels throughout the day. Adding IF to a stressed system can backfire, leaving one less metabolically healthy and less lean than when you started. There are studies out there, more side effects for women than men.

Know a man in his prime, age 33, who's practicing IF. He eats all of his calories in the evening. Cannot figure out why he's gaining fat and losing his lean muscle mass. When you consume everything before you go to bed, there's his clue. But he's convinced this is the ticket.

Ignore all of this ^^

It's still about eating fewer calories than one needs for weight loss. Doesn't matter if you eat eight times a day or once right before bed. Lots of people eat one meal or two meals per day.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've done a couple of different versions - my weight tracked my calorie balance just exactly as you would expect from a method of portioning out your daily/weekly calories in any eating pattern.

YouTube videos are an awful source of information!

If a certain IF eating schedule suits you and helps adherence to your calorie goal the go for it, if it doesn't then don't.
  • kellyratcliffe452
    kellyratcliffe452 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • kellyratcliffe452
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've done a couple of different versions - my weight tracked my calorie balance just exactly as you would expect from a method of portioning out your daily/weekly calories in any eating pattern.

If a certain IF eating schedule suits you and helps adherence to your calorie goal the go for it, if it doesn't then don't.

I do often wonder if youtube is just for views or real reviews of something ... I guess IF will work differently for everyone.. just hitting a bit of a plato ... so was seeing what you guys thought about this if it might shake the bod up to try something else slightly different to loose weight. I guess not :p
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    U ever try the zero app?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for years, before it was ever a "thing". I'm not hungry in the morning and get sick if I eat before the afternoon. Because of my schedule, I usually don't eat until 6 pm. It doesn't necessarily help you lose weight. I have been fat doing this, and lost weight doing this, all dependent on whether I eat too many calories or not.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I do often wonder if youtube is just for views or real reviews of something ... I guess IF will work differently for everyone.. just hitting a bit of a plato ... so was seeing what you guys thought about this if it might shake the bod up to try something else slightly different to loose weight. I guess not :p

No matter how often or what time of the day you eat, it comes down to calories.
  • kellyratcliffe452
    Options
    U ever try the zero app?

No I haven't, just tried to look it up but I don't think I can download it in Hong Kong. I can try change my settings and check it out properly. Thank you :):)
  • kellyratcliffe452
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I've been doing IF for years, before it was ever a "thing". I'm not hungry in the morning and get sick if I eat before the afternoon. Because of my schedule, I usually don't eat until 6 pm. It doesn't necessarily help you lose weight. I have been fat doing this, and lost weight doing this, all dependent on whether I eat too many calories or not.

Wow you last so well throughout the day! Yep, all about the cals!