That Avocado Brownie is lookin good tho aint it!?

Options
*inserts drooling emoji* Only problem is, its made w SO MUCH SUGAR. Im not much of a baker anyway, but im sure there are alternatives to all that sugar right? Im new to my healthy journey, at this stage, i know i'd eat the whole damn batch lol *grabs vanilla greek yogurt*

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue with sugar, there's nothing wrong with eating it. That said, I did a quick Google search and found a few recipes for avocado brownies. They're paleo/keto/low carb recipes, but a look over the ingredients shows there's not much sugar in them (sugar subs, yes, if that bothers you). Me, I'd use the first link since I didn't have to scroll through 16 pictures and 1000 paragraphs to get to the recipe.

https://xoxobella.com/2017/04/sugar-free-avocado-brownies/
    https://www.sweetashoney.co/low-carb-fudgy-avocado-brownies-sugar-free/
    https://www.mypcoskitchen.com/keto-avocado-brownies-2/
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    *inserts drooling emoji* Only problem is, its made w SO MUCH SUGAR. Im not much of a baker anyway, but im sure there are alternatives to all that sugar right? Im new to my healthy journey, at this stage, i know i'd eat the whole damn batch lol *grabs vanilla greek yogurt*

They are yummy. There are low sugar recipes out there that others have tried and perfected. Good luck!

ps: black bean brownies are awesome too.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I love brownies, but am I the only person that hears "avocado brownie" and thinks, "what a waste of a delicious avocado?"
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I love brownies, but am I the only person that hears "avocado brownie" and thinks, "what a waste of a delicious avocado?"

I hear "avocado brownie" and think, "what a waste of a delicious brownie!".

Yes to both! I made brownies once with a chocolate avocado frosting. I love chocolate and I love avocados, but the combination was disgusting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

A little, but I don't like brownies that much.

Chocolate and avocado do go great together.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Man people get defensive about their sugar. To each his/her own. OP there are definitely ways to reduce sugar used in baking, I’m pretty sure Whole earth sweetener makes one that is cut with stevia.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Odd series of posts from which to conclude that people are defensive about sugar.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Unless I’m missing something that sounds like an awful combination. :s
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    swhiteism wrote: »
    Unless I’m missing something that sounds like an awful combination. :s

You're not missing something, IMO. :) I love avocados and I love brownies, but can't picture them as a combination. And that's coming from a guy who loves peanut butter on his hamburgers! :D
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Nope. Love brownies. Love avocados. Combining them is an atrocity.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Maybe the large amount of sugar is to cover the taste of avocado? IDK, I don't understand this trend. No one eats a brownie for health benefits. I blame the guilt from the diet industry.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I've never had one with avocado, but I have had a gf brownie that used black beans instead of flour, and it was great and you couldn't taste the black beans at all. Perhaps avocado is similar, and you can't taste it in the final product.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Maybe the large amount of sugar is to cover the taste of avocado? IDK, I don't understand this trend. No one eats a brownie for health benefits. I blame the guilt from the diet industry.
    For me it's no big deal. Is your fat coming from cow juice, olive juice or avocado juice, some other vegetable's juice.

Having tasted them, I say: go for it OP. You won't know if you like it until you try! I decided to give black bean brownies a try and absolutely adored them. Left the plate out and hubs loved them too.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    This got me thinking... https://www.purewow.com/food/weird-food-combinations

bacon and peanut butter... I've never tried it. Some folks swear by it.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Delicious or not, no brownie should be that shade of green :s
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Calories in avocado or bean based brownies tend to on par with plain ol' flour based brownies. So I eat the latter if I want a brownie.

If you have bonafide diagnosed wheat/gluten/other ingredient in traditional brownie recipe intolerance, I can see the attraction. Otherwise...yeah, I can think of better eats to spend bean and/or avocado calories on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Yeah, I made some chocolate avocado muffins recently and they tasted fine, but you'd never know there was avocado in them. It really is a waste.
  • xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    looks gross.