Birkenstocks as walking shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• kristysmith477
    kristysmith477 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I thought Birkenstocks would be a good choice, as I need good arch support (I pretty much only wear Blundstones and Croc sandals.) My goal was to get comfortable with Birkenstocks before backpacking this summer, but it sounds like I'll need to investigate some other options. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    When I went to China 7 years ago and walked all over I had a pair of Dr Scholls sandals. They worked out so well and I wear them still when I have to backpack or do heavy shopping. You might want to check it out.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Eventually, Crocs can become a source of plantar fasciitis rather than relieve it. There's zero support as feet
    slide around even with socks on. Find some walking shoes that fit your budget.
  • AJB1014
    AJB1014 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I had a pair of birks once that I wore out in the rain and that helped break them in faster - It was not an intended way to break them in, but it seemed to speed the process along. I lost those sandals at an outdoor concert. I replaced them with a pair of Teva's - they support my foot shape better, had absolutely zero breaking in time, and have lasted the past 5 years of rigorous wear, from concerts to city sightseeing to evenings out - they also stay on my feet so no more losing shoes at concerts :D

similar to these https://www.teva.com/women-sandals/ysidro-stitch-sandal/1015120.html#start=99&cgid=women-sandals
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I thought Birkenstocks would be a good choice, as I need good arch support (I pretty much only wear Blundstones and Croc sandals.) My goal was to get comfortable with Birkenstocks before backpacking this summer, but it sounds like I'll need to investigate some other options. Thanks for the suggestions!

Until they're broken in, Birkenstocks are incredibly stiff. The best way mold them to your foot is to wear them barefoot in the heat (so that your feet sweat). They are awesome to take for hikes... as camp shoes when your hike is over. I have plantar fasciitis and wear my Birks whenever my feet are tired. But I would never, ever use them for purposeful (exercise) walking or hiking. I went on a walk with a friend (not strenuous, but long) in a brand new pair of Gizas and had blisters that were just awful. Never again.