How I got back on track

Options
I'm in maintenance and my weight tends to fluctuate a few pounds, up or down, pretty regularly. As long as I follow my normal exercise routines and keep away from too much sugar, I can maintain without much effort. However, the last couple of weeks, I have exceeded my calories more often than not..

Rather than freak out about it, I remembered some helpful advice: when you get a little out of control, there is some emotional trigger. You have to sit down and think long and hard about what that emotional trigger is.

So I did that and realized I was stressing out about a number of unfinished tasks that were hanging over my head. I spent some quality time planning how I was going to get those tasks done and followed through.

I'm now back on track and feel more in control. Feels pretty good!

Replies

• TheresaRichardson
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that. Great idea....time to do some journaling myself!
  • LoreeBelle
    LoreeBelle Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks for this. I really needed this today. We are on far opposite side of our journey (I just started and I have so.far.to.go), but I had a bad day today and reading your post made me realize I need to step back and take stock of what's going on in my head. I am stressed a lot right now. Home, work, getting the girls ready to start back to school in less than a week. Thanks again for this post. I'm off to make a list and check it twice...
    Peace,
    Loree :o)
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    That's so true! I never thought about it this way but I always go over when I have an overwhelming list of things to do and don't have a plan.
  • maureak
    maureak Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A few times when I was in the middle of a cookie binge, I'm able to stop myself by writing down what triggered the binge. There is always an emotional component to out of control eating and writing it down helps. The key is figuring out how to stop myself. It doesn't always work but when it does, I feel like I've really accomplished something good.
  • plantobefit
    plantobefit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had to do this recently...take a step back and see what was making me eat more. It was that I had a lot to do and felt very overwhelmed. It does help to write goals and tasks on paper and cross out the finished tasks as you go along...it helps to see progress and motivates you to keep moving...usually in the right direction...

Plantobefit
  • darlynnwd
    Options
    This was so me yesterday. I was stressing and feeling overwhelmed about so many things at once. Luckily I had most of my eating already planned, so I didn't do too badly. Realizing and acknowledging my emotional triggers is the first step. Then I have to remember that I have the power to choose how I react. Thanks for the reminder!