What are your favorite food prep techniques?

Options
Hey, I'm getting back on the wagon and from past experience, know that small tweaks can make a bigger difference than expected. What are some of your favorite surprise learnings regarding healthy eating? I am especially interested in food prep experiences/ best practices.

Replies

• rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Grilling/smoking is my go-to, but I’ve also found you can sauté with just a little water instead of butter or oil. It isn’t the same, but it’s close enough.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love to write notes (bit of a joke with friends and family) but i like it.
    I brought a blank wipeable calander from amazon so i can put a whole months worth of dinners on there. Really helps with preperation. Also i have weds and sundays off work so i also have a list of what needs making on both days.
    Buying extra tupperware pots are good as if u make extra meals u can freeze them; also writing calorie info on top
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Candy0928 wrote: »
    sf481dj3nle4.jpg

Impressive.
    Thats what my kitchen looks like a couple days a week
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    Grilling/smoking is my go-to, but I’ve also found you can sauté with just a little water instead of butter or oil. It isn’t the same, but it’s close enough.

Mmm yes, grilling is great! And you don't have to stick with meat :) Grilled corn, peppers, pineapples, peaches... all good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Make extra for a couple meals.
    Plan meals around things you actually crave.

I won't eat something that sat in the fridge 'prepped' for more than 3 days, so...
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I don't do much of prep other than make my lunch for the following day and tend to cook bulk meals that have at least 5 days (cooking for 2), that can be frozen. For my lunches I way out my servings before packing them, except for my salads: usually just leafy greens and cucumbers (I just guess that and round up as there are very little calories in Romain lettuce & cucumbers).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I toss vegetables with a small amount of oil and seasonings in a Ziplock bag before roasting them. Usually, I can get by with about 1/3 of the oil I'd use with the "drizzle and toss in the pan" method.
  • Champd36
    Champd36 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I write out my meal plan for whatever time period I'm shopping for. Then I stick to the list. Saves money and keeps me from getting rogue random items. And when I get home, I portion out the meat so I can grab and cook as needed.

Repurpose leftovers. Today I used a small bit of leftover spanish rice for an egg bowl. Leftover chicken gets put in anything, same with leftover veggies. Roasted veggies are so versatile- I'll make a huge tray or two of them and add them to everything.

I really like soup so I'll make a batch of meat/veggie soup and freeze it in portions. Or I'll sub out a portion of the meat for chopped veggies (for ex: I use half ground beef/turkey and half chopped mushrooms, carrots, onions, peppers for sloppy joes)

My favorite thing (and most important to ME) is prelogging on MPF. If I prelog, I stick with it and there's none of that 'what should I make' or 'what will fit in my cals today'. It also ensures I get my dessert ;)

Yeah just started doing this myself... saves so much money and really helps with the whole unhealthy lunch thing...
  • plythacur
    plythacur Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I bulk prep a few different savory breakfasts and freeze portions so that I have a quick source of morning protein without needing to cook during my limited morning time. I’ll usually just take out whatever I plan to eat the next day and let it defrost overnight in the fridge.

I also pre-chop veggies that I know I will be using within the next few days, this really cuts down on daily food prep time. I will bulk buy meats, portion them out, and freeze them raw but already seasoned or in a marinade. Between pre-seasoned meats and pre-chopped veg, dinner never takes too long but is still fresh almost every day. I know plenty of people are okay with eating the same things several days in a row, but I get bored easily.

Like other people said, since I plan my meals out ahead of time, I’ll estimate my calories several days ahead and just make weight adjustments as needed on the day I eat whatever I had planned. This makes budgeting in treats much easier for me, and I’m less likely to be tempted by random office snacks or fast food when I already know I have a something I really want planned.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Candy0928 wrote: »
    I prep items individually, opposed to grouped as meals, so that it appears that I have a variety w/ limitless combinations.

Also, I invested in a good, non-stick saute pan so that I get a perfect sear with minimal addition of oils/fats.

Both of these! Tonight I cooked up some chicken, two kinds of squash, made some dressing and a food processed blend of apples/almonds/dates/coconut for dessert type snacks. Not meals necessarily but components to get me halfway there.

The good non-stick pan is essential, the spray oils work as they should, just keep metal utensils out and the pan should last.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I usually cook enough for dinner that will last 2 or 3 days. I plan out my lunches and breakfasts for the next day but dont do a lot of advance food prep.

As far as cooking goes, I saute' or bake most things. I do fry some things in a small amount of olive or grapeseed oil. I use a lot of herbs and spices so my food is never bland. I dont like wasting precious calories on oil. Now that summer is coming, my bf will probably be grilling more of our food.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Roasted veggies are delicious and I even take leftovers for lunch and eat cold. Quinoa is also great for part of lunch and can be made ahead and used for several days. My nonstick skillet get used a lot and pressure cooker makes some foods possible in limited timeframe when otherwise I would have to allow more time.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    meal planning saves me a tonne of time "deciding what to eat" and i also then only buy whats needed. I meal prep lunch for 3 days on a Sunday and two days on a Wednesday or just make extra rice/pasta etc if i am cooking them in an evening for lunch the following day. I love roasted veggies and find they give good flavour to whatever else i am eating. I try and find ways to easily mix up the staples: this week i have added rocket, sultanas and mozzarella to my cous cous as well as a bit of tumeric and cumin powder.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I plan groceries for the week based on what I am craving. Next week it's wedge salads for lunch with grilled chicken tenders.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Every so often, my boyfriend and I will cook. To save space and dishes, we do everything on 1 big, flat pan in the oven. We wrap the pan in foil so it's easier to wash. Then, we'll do separate piles of different things, seasoned differently and cook it all on the same pan. So corner 1 will have broccoli with sesame oil, sesame seeds and garlic. Corner 2 has sweet potato with paprika. Corner 3 has bell pepper, onion and corn. Corner 4 has carrots, zucchini, garlic and oregano.

Put that pan in the oven for 10 or so minutes and use that time to cook 2 different meats. Chicken goes in 1 pan on the stove and steak goes in the other. And then, mix and match the veg with the meats and add things like cheese, salsa, avocado etc at the end.