Taking my first diet break.

Options
This week will start my first diet break. I have a few days left of prepped meals. So after that I will begin eating at maintenance for 2 weeks. I'm a little nervous because I've never intentionally eaten at maintenance before. I'm scared that I won't come back from the break. I still have around 30lbs to lose. I have been in a constant deficit now for 3 months and just feel like it's time. My workouts have been suffering this week and I'm a bit more tired than usual. So wish me luck.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good luck!! Just be easy on yourself, allow a weight range, and remember that weight fluctuates easily.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I just started my second one yesterday.

To be honest for the first one I found it very tough the first 5 days because everything I taught myself I had to temporarily push aside. I needed ways to add calories. Ex. I bought more fattening cream for my coffee, I gave myself slightly bigger portions, I ate lots of ice cream. All the things I avoided came back into my life. It was not nearly as enjoyable as I had imagined but it was totally necessary.

I actually ended the refeed on day 10 (I was trying to go the full 2 weeks) but I felt more anxious get back back on the weight loss train. You can do this! Your body needs it.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Started my break yesterday. I will end it in 2 weeks. We will see how it goes.
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    6 days into my diet break. After the 3rd day I put on 5lbs of water weight, which I thought might happen since I increased carbs and sodium also increased. Then yesterday I was down a pound from day one of my diet break. I suppose the pound loss is just from the deficit and my body just caught up. Idk, but it's pretty interesting to watch the fluctuations.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My first diet break was nerve wracking, since I saw a gain of 5lbs in only a few days (which I knew intellectually would happen, but seeing it happen on the scale was still stressful for me), but fortunately it stabilized and as soon as I returned to the deficit, I lost that weight just as fast. The second one less stressful since I knew what to expect.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    Ending my diet break today. I am a little sad that I am going back to eating less. Going to stay the course though, as I have 30 to 40 more pounds to lose.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Overall, how did you feel about it? Any insights to share?
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    How did it go overall? Did your weight fluctuate much? How did you cope mentally? Or did you just not weigh in at all so you didn't psych yourself out?
  • jefamer2017
    Options
    This week will start my first diet break. I have a few days left of prepped meals. So after that I will begin eating at maintenance for 2 weeks. I'm a little nervous because I've never intentionally eaten at maintenance before. I'm scared that I won't come back from the break. I still have around 30lbs to lose. I have been in a constant deficit now for 3 months and just feel like it's time. My workouts have been suffering this week and I'm a bit more tired than usual. So wish me luck.

OUTSTANDING! I think that 'the unknown' is scaring you. Meaning, that you have been so tuned into the "count this, watch that" mindset to keep within the caloric deficit that you are maybe obsessing a little bit about this. Maintenance is not a free-for-all!

Yes, ma'am! Maintenance is not a free-for-all. Honestly, the only things that change are:
    1. The number of calories per day, while now a little higher than before, are still the goal
    2. You will be able to enjoy a little bit more "carbs" than before [typically, maintenance is achieved by adding more carbs to get you from deficit to maintenance....but, that is not a hard and fast rule....you can add fats or proteins, too].

So, maybe just look at this two-week time frame as "diet, just a little less stress involved".

And, might I ask why you are doing two weeks?

And, follow up question to my first question - have you ever done a re-feed? A re-feed is typically two successive days during your caloric deficit where you get to eat at maintenance. It offers some physical relief but also helps a ton, mentally!

And, finally - is your fear of not going back to the caloric deficit because of the "two weeks at maintenance" (read: specifically, such a long time frame....two weeks, in your case) or for some other reason?

2 weeks is what has been recommended by everyone I have spoken to and nearly every thing I have read about diet breaks. Diet breaks have been proven effective and I even read a study the other day claiming that refeeds are not as effective as a diet break and in some cases not effective at all. The reason it scared me is because I like to eat not the counting. I still was counting on my diet break and know it's not a free for all. It's maintenance for my current weight. The purpose is to get hormones back in check from a long period of being in a deficit. I also didn't cut carbs although I did eat more carbs on the diet break because I also ate more calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance 4 days each month :smiley:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How did it go overall? Did your weight fluctuate much? How did you cope mentally? Or did you just not weigh in at all so you didn't psych yourself out?

I actually lost 2 pounds during the break. I assume it was because of the previous deficit though. It was great because I didn't have to worry about picking certain foods off the menu before I went out to eat. It was so nice. I had more energy for my workouts but the second week of the break I couldn't workout because of a strained groin muscle. It's better now though. I am going to go back to my workout routine tomorrow. I am hoping this helped to get my weight loss going again it was stalling for a few weeks. Overall it was good.

something to consider - there is some research (i'd have to go back and dig it up) - that seems to look at being in maintaince/break for longer periods and then do a short focused weight loss (about a month); and then back to maintenance - i think its in keeping with some alan aragon's work
  • jefamer2017
    Options

I actually lost 2 pounds during the break. I assume it was because of the previous deficit though. It was great because I didn't have to worry about picking certain foods off the menu before I went out to eat. It was so nice. I had more energy for my workouts but the second week of the break I couldn't workout because of a strained groin muscle. It's better now though. I am going to go back to my workout routine tomorrow. I am hoping this helped to get my weight loss going again it was stalling for a few weeks. Overall it was good.

something to consider - there is some research (i'd have to go back and dig it up) - that seems to look at being in maintaince/break for longer periods and then do a short focused weight loss (about a month); and then back to maintenance - i think its in keeping with some alan aragon's work

There is a thread in these forums about refeeds and diet breaks. There may be something about what you mentioned in that thread. The diet break study that was done in Australia had the "dieters" either eat at a deficit for 16 weeks or 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. It showed better weight loss and maintenance for the ones who went on a break every 2 weeks. I plan on taken more frequent diet breaks as time goes on. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose so this time I will go 2 months in a deficit instead of 3. Then a month then toward the end every 2 weeks.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

OUTSTANDING! I think that 'the unknown' is scaring you. Meaning, that you have been so tuned into the "count this, watch that" mindset to keep within the caloric deficit that you are maybe obsessing a little bit about this. Maintenance is not a free-for-all!

Yes, ma'am! Maintenance is not a free-for-all. Honestly, the only things that change are:
    1. The number of calories per day, while now a little higher than before, are still the goal
    2. You will be able to enjoy a little bit more "carbs" than before [typically, maintenance is achieved by adding more carbs to get you from deficit to maintenance....but, that is not a hard and fast rule....you can add fats or proteins, too].

So, maybe just look at this two-week time frame as "diet, just a little less stress involved".

And, follow up question to my first question - have you ever done a re-feed? A re-feed is typically two successive days during your caloric deficit where you get to eat at maintenance. It offers some physical relief but also helps a ton, mentally!

And, finally - is your fear of not going back to the caloric deficit because of the "two weeks at maintenance" (read: specifically, such a long time frame....two weeks, in your case) or for some other reason?

2 weeks is what has been recommended by everyone I have spoken to and nearly every thing I have read about diet breaks. Diet breaks have been proven effective and I even read a study the other day claiming that refeeds are not as effective as a diet break and in some cases not effective at all. The reason it scared me is because I like to eat not the counting. I still was counting on my diet break and know it's not a free for all. It's maintenance for my current weight. The purpose is to get hormones back in check from a long period of being in a deficit. I also didn't cut carbs although I did eat more carbs on the diet break because I also ate more calories.

Awesome. Everyone is different.....for some people, at some times a re-feed does wonders. For others, maybe not so much. And, a diet break (as well as a training break) is often a good idea when one has been dieting for a long time (and maybe has stalled). Keep the mental side of things in mind, too! :-)

I was just curious as to the two weeks. Hey, if that works for you, all good! If one month works for you....all good! Everyeone is different. And, if you have never done one (a diet break) then it is not a bad idea to start with two weeks and adjust, if necessary, as you approach the end of that time frame!

I would be interested in knowing how this works for you!
  • jefamer2017
    edited May 2018
    Options

Awesome. Everyone is different.....for some people, at some times a re-feed does wonders. For others, maybe not so much. And, a diet break (as well as a training break) is often a good idea when one has been dieting for a long time (and maybe has stalled). Keep the mental side of things in mind, too! :-)

I was just curious as to the two weeks. Hey, if that works for you, all good! If one month works for you....all good! Everyeone is different. And, if you have never done one (a diet break) then it is not a bad idea to start with two weeks and adjust, if necessary, as you approach the end of that time frame!

I would be interested in knowing how this works for you!

https://www.student-aesthetics.com/articles/diet-breaks-to-keep-losing-fat-explained/

Here's an article that explains why I chose the path I did. Honestly, I haven't had a problem mentally with coping or feeling deprived throughout the deficit. I only got a little sad today because I can't eat as much ice cream as I have been. That is literally my only weakness. Quitting Mt. Dew was easy, I didn't think it would be but it was. Watching what I eat is easy. I have not felt deprived. I budget my calories and make adjustments for family functions. It's really not much effort. It's just like a job or owning a home. You do what you need to do to function at optimal levels.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

There is a thread in these forums about refeeds and diet breaks. There may be something about what you mentioned in that thread. The diet break study that was done in Australia had the "dieters" either eat at a deficit for 16 weeks or 2 weeks on 2 weeks off. It showed better weight loss and maintenance for the ones who went on a break every 2 weeks. I plan on taken more frequent diet breaks as time goes on. I still have quite a bit of weight to lose so this time I will go 2 months in a deficit instead of 3. Then a month then toward the end every 2 weeks.

this is more - do say 10 weeks at say maintenance/build calories up, then do a short period (24days) with a higher deficit; then do another short maintenance and then fat loss cycle again...i haven't tried it, but some people i know have had pretty good luck with it