Slim fast

Options
Hello! I’m looking for a good option for breakfast. I know a lot of people do shakes, but I don’t have a blender, and I’m very picky and I’m afraid I won’t end up liking them. I’ve been thinking about doing the slim fast bars or maybe their chocolate milk just for breakfast (not the whole diet) any thoughts or opinions on these bars?

Replies

• phillipsaw
    phillipsaw Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about the bars, but I have started eating overnight oats every morning. I put a serving of rolled oats, a tablespoon of chia seeds, half a banana, half cup of blueberries, and a half cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It's about 350 calories or so, but tastes good and is super filling.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I find that it takes only a few minutes to scramble a couple of eggs with some veggies. I like bell peppers, so I cut them into strips when I bring them home from the store. I chop them up and steam them in the frying pan for a few minutes, add scrambled eggs... Breakfast!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don’t know anything about slim fast but I have a protein shake for breakfast. Just chocolate flavor powder in milk, tastes like chocolate milk. Quick and easy.
  • Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have tried the slim fast brand and they (at least their chocolate flavor) has a weird aftertaste. I recently tried Premier Protein (again in Chocolate) and those were much tastier and cheaper!
  • AlleriaEating
    AlleriaEating Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Honestly? My biggest concern is.. they're gross. They taste weird and I feel like I'm cheating myself out of tastier calories. I like two eggs scrambled with some veg on a bit of toast, personally. Or a southwest tofu, pepper and kale scramble, or homemade oatmeal with berries and a few almonds and maybe even a drop of honey. Or skyr and berries! That evens my blood sugar out for HOURS.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I think slim fast(chocolate) tastes awesome but those things make me incredibly hungry! I think its all the sugar,first ingredient on the list
  • FH2018
    FH2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you generally like eating. I have quite a sweet tooth and have been doing the Slim Fast diet for a few weeks now (cookies and cream is the only flavour I like). Otherwise something easy like oats or an omelette is always good.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    There's nothing that's inherently "good" or "bad" about bars or shakes. It depends on whether you like the taste, whether you're going to be satisfied with just a bar or shake for breakfast, and how long you would enjoy eating them.

Your weight loss process should be "training" for maintenance. It should be a time for you to develop habits that will help you keep the weight off long term. I feel that anything marketed as a "diet" product does not help create those healthy habits because few people want to eat those things for the rest of their lives. Some people enjoy having protein shakes or bars for breakfast and would like to do that long term, some don't. Try a few options and ask yourself whether they're something you would enjoy eating regularly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say there are more nutrient dense bars and shakes out there that taste better too.

Overnight oats are super easy as @phillipsaw pointed out.
  • CurolsSmith0525
    CurolsSmith0525 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you tried premiere protein? They are actually pretty good and have all kinds of flavors! Bananas and cream and cookies and cream are my favorite.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a quick healthy go to breakfast, any of the following are my faves, greek yogurt, banana, hard boiled eggs, almonds, cheese, Balanced Breaks by Sargento, I try to stay away from over processed stuff but on occasion I like the Quaker instant protein oatmeal in the cup or a Luna lemon zest bar (so addicting yum!)
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    If you like the bars/shakes, that's fine. When I'm pressed for time I'll do a protien shake and a piece of fruit that I can eat on the way to classes.
  • sharronnx3232
    sharronnx3232 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a the Slim Fast Advanced Energy shakes in the morning (I prefer the chocolate). The first time I tried them I wasn't crazy about it initially but it definitely grew on me! Super convenient to grab and go!

Occasionally I have a shake at lunch, but mostly it is just breakfast. I have lost almost 55lbs in 5 months, so I would say it's working fine (along with exercise and changing my snacks and dinner foods to healthy options).

Good luck!