Anyone else here struggle with addiction? I have almost 2 years sober!

Options
124»

Replies

• RynoLove
    RynoLove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just hit 2 years of sobriety on April 24th. I struggled with drugs and alcohol. Couldn't have one without the other. As I sat in jail with a felony possession of cocaine charge accompanied with my 2nd DWI, I made the decision to change my life. It was the best decision I've ever made. My physical and mental health are through the roof. Props to anyone out there that has had the balls to step up and change there lives for the better.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I found that it took me becoming sober to lose my weight! I have been sober for a year now and it enabled me to conquer my weight as well and to hit my goal of losing over 80 lbs. It was VERY difficult to deal with both the consistency required to maintain a daily calorie deficit and the strength to avoid alcohol as that has been my coping mechanism for most of my adult life. I had a small "sip" of wine to do a toast at my daughters wedding early last summer but haven't had a single sip of anything alcoholic otherwise in a year.
    I not only feel AMAZING but I have more energy and am a much more positive and happy person now and am 2/3 of the way through my college courses to become a personal trainer.
    I just LOVE the new slimmer and sober me...unfortunately I realized many of our drinking buddies were just that, only drinking buddies, as none are interested in being sober for an evening to do anything different but drinking themselves to a stupor. I have an amazing husband and family for support so who needs people who were not really my friends in the first place. You will leave some people behind but thats just life, onward and upward I say!!!
  • Johnda85
    Johnda85 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    I found that it took me becoming sober to lose my weight! I have been sober for a year now and it enabled me to conquer my weight as well and to hit my goal of losing over 80 lbs. It was VERY difficult to deal with both the consistency required to maintain a daily calorie deficit and the strength to avoid alcohol as that has been my coping mechanism for most of my adult life. I had a small "sip" of wine to do a toast at my daughters wedding early last summer but haven't had a single sip of anything alcoholic otherwise in a year.
    I not only feel AMAZING but I have more energy and am a much more positive and happy person now and am 2/3 of the way through my college courses to become a personal trainer.
    I just LOVE the new slimmer and sober me...unfortunately I realized many of our drinking buddies were just that, only drinking buddies, as none are interested in being sober for an evening to do anything different but drinking themselves to a stupor. I have an amazing husband and family for support so who needs people who were not really my friends in the first place. You will leave some people behind but thats just life, onward and upward I say!!!

If only it worked that way with other substances. Being clean from opiates, specifically heroin helpp me to gain almost 85 pounds in a two year period. Now its trying to lose that recovery weight.
  • gregproctor44
    gregproctor44 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm ten years sober this past month. Congratulations on two years! I'm here to help ANYONE on this page that ever needs to chat about sobriety, health, fitness etc!
    JuliaJWOWW wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Just curious as to how many of you are addicts or alcoholics (sober or not). After I got sober, I gained so much weight and I’m ready to lose it to better myself. What’s your story?k4uzaahy2jfq.jpeg

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I will be sober 2 years July 18th! Congrats on your own sobriety. Every day sober is a wonderful gift, it takes so much courage, strength, and commitment to make that change in our lives. It is amazing to see so many individuals share their stories :)
  • ASLgeek1
    ASLgeek1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety!!! WTG!!!
    Six years clean from Amphetamine abuse.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    35 years sober. Food is my problem now.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I've accepted it and moved on.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being sober.
    Everyone has some kind of addiction, everyone. It might not be a self destructing addiction but everyone has some kind of addiction.