Portion control

Options
I have done yo-yo diet for years! As we all know, it's not healthy and it would only result in gaining the weight back and then some.
What do you think about food weighing scale?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is the best tool for portion control.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I weigh all of my food using a food scale, so I think very highly of using one.
  • dunkind45
    dunkind45 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Food scales are a great tool and I think they give pretty accurate information about your portions. I say get a food scale!
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have two, and I use them all day long.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Use daily.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Definitely get one. Learn about Tare and set your bowl/plate/container on there first, tare it out, add in each food item to weigh and log. Makes life easier.

For me, I was pleasantly surprised to notice that I was measuring too low on some foods and was able to get 'more' when I weighed them :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    it will be eye opening if you've never done it! Once you get used to it, it is easy!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    One of the best purchases of my life was my food scale.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you need it, get it. If you don't need it, at least consider it an option.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Get one or borrow one and try putting in what you think is a serving of cereal without looking at the scale while you do it. If you eat cake or pie, look up the calories in a serving and how much it weighs, then cut your normal piece and weigh it. Weigh some nuts - wow! 100 calories is less than you might get as a quick snack "hardly worth worrying about - just a small handful".
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Of course a food scale is a great idea. I'd also suggest trying to look at the whole thing differently. You shouldn't be "on a diet", as this suggests you're making a temporary change to accomplish a goal, and then you'll get to be "not on a diet". I've struggled with the same yo yo problems throughout my life, and what has made the difference for me is getting away from the idea of dieting. Instead, you're changing the way you approach eating forever. I have X calories per day that I need for weight loss, maintenance, or gain, and I'm going to track food intake to make sure I'm where I need to be. When I reach my goal weight, I'll do the same. This helps me view fat loss as a side-effect of a permanent lifestyle change, rather than a temporary challenge that must be suffered through.