It's Day 1....what am I thinking

Options
So life is a total Stressfest.... moving from Ohio to S Carolina, husband has been there for the past month, he just found us a house but we are still trying to sell our house in Ohio. I'm in Ohio dealing with the inspections, the grass cutting, the realtor and more....I want to scream but instead I decide it's a good time to start a diet.....what am I thinking????

Replies

• kittykat122018
    kittykat122018 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good advice
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Haaaaate the word diet. It gives you the on again off again connotation. Are you willing to change your lifestyle for a new program of how you deal with food??? Get the word DIET out of your vocabulary. Your relationship with food has to be readapted. It's your choice.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I was in an almost identical situation when I decided to quit smoking. For some reason, the pressure made it easier. Or maybe I felt I needed to control something, as mentioned upthread. Either way, I've been smoke-free for over nine years now. :smiley:
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    what am I thinking????
    When you can't see the wood for the tress (I believe in US the saying is forest for the trees) it is quite normal to wonder what on earth have you done.

Hard to maybe appreciate now, but it is the best decision you have made -only correction, if I may, as others have said don't approach it as a diet. To me that implies an unsustainable restriction, a bit like on the road having to do 20mph through a school zone and then back to - umm lets say 40 and you find yourself doing closer to 50. That weight will pile back on, don't I know it! As has been mentioned it is a readaptation to what is eaten.

If I may bore you with my experience. I had a fair bit to shed, took my food and exercise logging seriously. Lost a bit but things weren't right, my deficit needed to be a lot more than MFP calculated, so I pushed on more calories burnt . Till I was burnt out.
    Small stress issues became huge and in no time it became overwhelming, to the point I was almost prepared to do myself in.

As I'd been logging faithfully and possibly this is only visible in the premium edition, I could see my Potassium intake was rather low. Ate a rich K meal that evening and couldn't believe the difference the next day, lost a fair bit of weight (water) and felt a bit better.
    Long story short, I recorded my BP and via MFP what I was eating and gave to a DR. I then found out my K had been borderline for years and this year was below the 'low' mark. I was told to stop taking one of my BP meds as that was the probable cause, last week I'm off the second one.
    Once I was on top of that, my stress management abilities shot up and my weight has eased down.

If I hadn't started my adjustment when I was low, I wouldn't have stuck to it. Getting started when the chips are down and you can fight through that, then when the good times come it'll be easier.
  • kittykat122018
    kittykat122018 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks all <3
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    deagh93 wrote: »
    It may actually be a really good thing. What you eat is something you will have control over, and if you have control over that one thing, it may help you deal with all the other things. Welcome to MyFP!

This. Having one part of your life that is predictable, routine, "measured," and completely under your control--if you want it to be--may help. But be calm and reasonable about it, too--focus on the healthy aspects, not the weight loss, specifically, and the nourishment your body will get when it needs it most. If you can get in some walking, that will help with the stress and weight control too. Good luck--and maybe get up early to walk, b/c it's hot in the morning in SC once that sun is fully up.