Half Marathon

Options
So before I became pregnant with my daughter almost 2 years ago, I was able to jog 5 miles. I was really sick with her so I didn't keep it up while I was pregnant and I'm just starting to get back into it. I'm currently able to jog a slow 3 miles some days. Some days, especially with the heat and humidity, I walk about 1/10 of a mile three times during my run. I'm also about 30lbs heavier than I was when I was running before, which I'm obviously working on.
Anyways, I have a friend who wants me to train for a half marathon in October. I'd love to do it but I'm just wondering if it's a realistic goal for me. I try to run 3 times a week but between working full time and being a mom of 4, sometimes I only get two in. I read in one article to increase my runs by a mile and a half every other week, but I'm not ready for that yet. I'm trying to nail down a decent 5k first. Any thoughts on my training? Also any good running groups for beginners someone could point me to?

Replies

• Thediamond13
    Thediamond13 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ErinKay_RN wrote: »
    So before I became pregnant with my daughter almost 2 years ago, I was able to jog 5 miles. I was really sick with her so I didn't keep it up while I was pregnant and I'm just starting to get back into it. I'm currently able to jog a slow 3 miles some days. Some days, especially with the heat and humidity, I walk about 1/10 of a mile three times during my run. I'm also about 30lbs heavier than I was when I was running before, which I'm obviously working on.
    Anyways, I have a friend who wants me to train for a half marathon in October. I'd love to do it but I'm just wondering if it's a realistic goal for me. I try to run 3 times a week but between working full time and being a mom of 4, sometimes I only get two in. I read in one article to increase my runs by a mile and a half every other week, but I'm not ready for that yet. I'm trying to nail down a decent 5k first. Any thoughts on my training? Also any good running groups for beginners someone could point me to?

Try working up to a half hour jog without stopping. Once you get there start improving speed and distance. Use run keeper or something to start tracking your runs so you can visually see the progress. Awesome goal, good luck!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    look into c25k programmes (couch to 5k). They are walk/run training programmes and will help you get to that 5k gently. Keep it slow and don't be afraid to run slower than you can walk. Then carry on with distance.

Local running shops can be good to find groups, or many towns have running clubs.

October for a half marathon is probably a good amount of time to aim for it. Maybe try and find a couple of 5k and 10k races in between
  • miaow828
    miaow828 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's half marathon training plan and it worked very well and was easy to use.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    i c25k, bridge to 10k, and then an asics running program for the half

i mostly run in the afternoons and evenings.
    local running stores are a great resource :smile:

I think it is possible you can finish the half in october. get good shoes, train, i find eating well helps tremendously. nutritious eating benefits your body, your running etc
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is very possible, though 2 x weekly makes it harder. But still easily possible.

Mileage increase of about 10% weekly max is normally recommended to keep from injury. Any site giving a set distance increase with no bearing on how much you run - I'd recommend not reading that site - bad advice.
    With 3 miles x 2 weekly, that means trying to increase 1 of those runs by 0.5 miles each week. Other one keep at 3.
    If you do get in a 3rd run, keep it short so you don't overdue that 10% increase suggestion.
    20 weeks to get to 13 miles that way on the long run with just 1/2 mile increases, but really at 7+3 miles weekly point, 1 mile increase will be within 10%, so it'll take less time.

That long run you'll benefit from trying to imitate conditions of the race day, at least a few times - so early morning, figure out how much and type of food is possible, how much liquids, clothes to wear, ect.

With heat, don't have to run entire time - jog/walk intervals to save joints because of extra weight is just fine, and still gives foot time, which is really want you want.
    Some running plans are nothing but intervals like that. It can give opportunity to find a pace that may have better form (running economy) to practice short spurts at. Allowing them to become faster as aerobic base is built.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of a HM is that it's a very doable endurance race and the training doesn't have to monopolize your life.

2X per week runs aren't ideal but you have plenty of time and should be fine. Work on pushing your normal runs into the 6 mile range over time and if possible, try to throw one or two longer runs (9-10 miles) into your schedule 3-4 weeks or so ahead of the race. Once you're fine regularly running 10K a couple of times per week, then you're definitely fine to run 13 miles as a one-time shot.

That said, if you can't get yourself to run regular 10Ks by late August, then you might want to reconsider the half (assuming it's in mid-October). It'll still be survivable, it just won't be that fun.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    Once you're fine regularly running 10K a couple of times per week, then you're definitely fine to run 13 miles as a one-time shot.

It took me months to get to running 5 miles regularly and then weeks to get to 10. It's hard to explain, but once you get past the shorter distances, you kind of get in a zone where it feels like you are tapping into a bigger reserve and muscles really don't feel fatigued until you stop. I used to plan my long runs to cross as few streets as possible to minimize stopping.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other concerns mentioned, do you live in a place where you’ll be okay with increasing your mileage in the summer? Depending on the weather where you live and your tolerance for that weather, you may or may not enjoy long runs at this time of year.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you're already a runner it's doable. It's totally ok to walk part of it too, lots of runners do!
  • ErinKay_RN
    ErinKay_RN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    In addition to the other concerns mentioned, do you live in a place where you’ll be okay with increasing your mileage in the summer? Depending on the weather where you live and your tolerance for that weather, you may or may not enjoy long runs at this time of year.

Michigan... We have some really hot and humid days but in the past I've just gone in the early morning or later evening to combat that. Some days it's just impossible but I'm usually still able to get 2-3 runs in a week.

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible!! I was where you are at and managed to do one with way less time than that. I couldn’t run a mile when I started, but running 2-3 times a week consistently caught me up quick. Just follow a beginner half marathon program and don’t worry about needing to walk parts of it and run as slow as possible, no need to be fast. I say go for it, completing my half marathon was one of the proudest moments of my life, I felt like if I could take on that I could take on the world. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

Hal Higdon has some very well respected training plans (https://www.halhigdon.com/training/half-marathon-training/). I believe half marathon plans are typically 12-16 weeks... so from a timing standpoint, you should be good there. The question is can you stick to the training plan reasonably well. Work, family, life.. it all happens and sometimes those things get in the way of training. So IMO, that's the question to ask yourself. Take a look at his plan(s) and see if you think you can stick to it. Doesn't have to be every single training run, but most people say completing/sticking to 90% of the plan is good.
  • ErinKay_RN
    Options
    Gosh, thanks everyone for the input! I think it's doable but the two biggest barriers for me are my irregular work schedule and the humidity. I went out early today and the humidity was killing me! I jogged a straight two miles then walked/jogged the last 1.3. I think if I'd had forced myself to keep jogging I could have went at least 2.5 straight, but my breathing was harder than usual due to the humidity so I thought I'd take a little break and then jog the rest of the way, but then it ended up being harder to get back into my groove. It looks like we're gonna get a break from the heat soon so I'll definitely be trying to increase my mileage. I also found when I was running before that once I got to 4 miles, it was relatively easy to increase to 5. Five definitely left my legs feeling a little Jello the first time but I also felt from there it was going to be easier to increase over time, but like I said I became pregnant and it didn't happen. So I guess my goal right now is to get to 5 miles and then perhaps I'll look into a half training program. I'm not sure if I'll make it in October, I'm going to try but not be disappointed if I'm not ready yet. I'll just look for another one a little further out. I'm going to do this.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    7H3_J0K3R wrote: »
    miaow828 wrote: »
    I used Hal Higdon's half marathon training plan and it worked very well and was easy to use.

I second this.

Thirded.

Hal is great. Plans for all abilities. Novice 1 for HM is great!
  • Wiedzma_Agata
    Wiedzma_Agata Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Absolutely doable. Find a decent training plan for beginners on internet and follow that
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    Gosh, thanks everyone for the input! I think it's doable but the two biggest barriers for me are my irregular work schedule and the humidity. I went out early today and the humidity was killing me! I jogged a straight two miles then walked/jogged the last 1.3. I think if I'd had forced myself to keep jogging I could have went at least 2.5 straight, but my breathing was harder than usual due to the humidity so I thought I'd take a little break and then jog the rest of the way, but then it ended up being harder to get back into my groove. It looks like we're gonna get a break from the heat soon so I'll definitely be trying to increase my mileage. I also found when I was running before that once I got to 4 miles, it was relatively easy to increase to 5. Five definitely left my legs feeling a little Jello the first time but I also felt from there it was going to be easier to increase over time, but like I said I became pregnant and it didn't happen. So I guess my goal right now is to get to 5 miles and then perhaps I'll look into a half training program. I'm not sure if I'll make it in October, I'm going to try but not be disappointed if I'm not ready yet. I'll just look for another one a little further out. I'm going to do this.

I would worry way less than you are about walking parts of it, especially at this point in your distance. You are over thinking it big time! The humidity is tough and will slow you to a walk often, but since your run is in October this will work in your favor because most likely it will be a little cooler by then so you will have worked and trained in the hardest months. As you progress and your runs get longer you’ll realize that putting in the miles is what matters.

• WickAndArtoo
    Options
    And since you have so much extra time compared to the average training plan for a half you have plenty of time to work up to it... honestly with the miles you are running and walking right now you could complete the half with 16 week.
  • ErinKay_RN
    Options

I would worry way less than you are about walking parts of it, especially at this point in your distance. You are over thinking it big time! The humidity is tough and will slow you to a walk often, but since your run is in October this will work in your favor because most likely it will be a little cooler by then so you will have worked and trained in the hardest months. As you progress and your runs get longer you’ll realize that putting in the miles is what matters.

You nailed it, I'm a serious overthinker. I know for sure as it cools down it will improve everything about my runs. I think it's just really frustrating for me starting over.

• 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about using a run-walk-run strategy?
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/