low carb and stomach issues?

kimber0607
kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
im eating low carb and feeling ok...little low energy but my stomach...very unsettled..LOL
bloated/gassy
Im eating mainly chicken, fish, turkey (dont like red meat), nuts, green veggies, eggs, cheese, some berries etc etc
trying to keep it strict until i shed the weight than will add some foods

Its been about 4-5 weeks..will it adjust....need to pay more attention tot he fiber I'm consuming? any advice appreciated

thanks, kim

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Make sure you do not have any stomach bacteria causing gas, Apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and healthy probiotics could help.

The only bacteria found in the stomach would be H.pylori and these do not cause gas issues. Gas is usually found in the small bowel and is related to what you consume. The only recommendation you made that may help would be probiotics.

OP what are your BMs like since going low carb? If you aren't moving your bowels regularly chances are it is due to incomplete bowel movements from a low fiber diet.
  • kimber0607
    i had ZERO stomach issues before i cleaned up my diet and went low carb (go figure!)
    TMI..but def NOT constipated...actually the other way around? I dont know why??

kim
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    I find when my fiber intake goes up, typically through eating more vegetables, I'm bloated, gassy, and super regular. Maybe look at your fiber numbers, especially if you've changed drastically and abruptly.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it is likely from higher fiber. it should "even" out.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    kimber0607 wrote: »
    i had ZERO stomach issues before i cleaned up my diet and went low carb (go figure!)

kim

Looser and more frequent (but smaller) BMs can be caused by reduced fibre (less bulk) and increased fats. It can take the body a while to adjust.

Increased gas is unusual. Most seem to report reduced gas due to lower fibre and fermentable bacteria loving carbs. Could it be from a change in the carbs you eat? Such as greens and nuts rather than lower fibre fruits or baked goods? More raw vegetables rather than cooked? More coconut oil than previously used?

Play around with your diet and you could find the answer. For me, a long term keto'ers, the more I reduce all carbs, the better my stomach tends to be.

Good luck.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited May 2018
    Rapid changes in fiber content is what I would imagine is the problem. It's frequently problematic for new vegans as well (especially if they go from a standard american diet to a wfpb style diet). If your fiber intake increased dramatically, you can scale it back a bit and increase slowly over time.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    The fiber issue, as folks have stated, can be a potential issue.

Another one can be a previously unknown food intolerance or allergy. That one can be pretty easily checked out by taking one of your food groups and NOT eating it for a few days, and see if you start to feel better. So, say, no nuts for a few days, or no X type of meat, etc...

We had a friend go through this, where she was eating more gluten free food (with a celiac friend), but started feeling sick afterward. Turns out she was intolerant to a common thickening agent that only existed in tiny amounts in regular foods, but was in large amounts in GF foods. She couldn't handle the larger amounts. Easily solved by just shifting the diet around, you know? :-)
  • counting_kilojoules
    counting_kilojoules Posts: 170 Member
    Could also be not enough fibre. You don't say how many vegetables you're eating but if you've cut out grains as well as other types of vegetables other than just the "green vegetables" your eating now you might be getting less fibre than you were.

Other than that, I'd keep an eye on your fat intake. Too much can cause diarrhoea.
  • kimber0607
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kimber0607 wrote: »

kim

Looser and more frequent (but smaller) BMs can be caused by reduced fibre (less bulk) and increased fats. It can take the body a while to adjust.

Increased gas is unusual. Most seem to report reduced gas due to lower fibre and fermentable bacteria loving carbs. Could it be from a change in the carbs you eat? Such as greens and nuts rather than lower fibre fruits or baked goods? More raw vegetables rather than cooked? More coconut oil than previously used?

Play around with your diet and you could find the answer. For me, a long term keto'ers, the more I reduce all carbs, the better my stomach tends to be.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback..the stomach issue is something i wasnt anticipating
    I dont want to feel worse during this journey! LOL
    thanks
  • kimber0607
    Could also be not enough fibre. You don't say how many vegetables you're eating but if you've cut out grains as well as other types of vegetables other than just the "green vegetables" your eating now you might be getting less fibre than you were.

Other than that, I'd keep an eye on your fat intake. Too much can cause diarrhoea.

Not the most educated regarding diet/food but i dont think thats the issue
    cheese..can be the only fatty thing? usually by low cal strong cheese so I don't go over board
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Are you feeling stressed on this diet? When I get stressed, I somehow swallow more air which results in more (odorless) gas. If that's not the case, is there something you used to eat less often that you eat more often now? Eggs cause me issues, for example.
  • kimber0607
    thanks for the egg tip :)
    I actually feel less stressed..im working out again and my diet is controlled...
  • philrtx
    philrtx Posts: 68 Member
    I had to remove hot peppers, and pickled & fermented foods from my diet because they were causing regular and sometimes chronic IBS. After I removed those things from my low-carb/keto diet the IBS went away. You might look into Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols (FODMAPS) and go on a food elimination regimen until you figure out what's causing it. My quality of life drastically improved after that issue was resolved!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Perhaps try sharing this problem in one of the low carb MFP groups like the Low Carber Daily or Keto group. They might have ideas for you.

Sodium could be another issue. It can get low when you go low carb which can negatively affect the gut. Salty broth might help.