Lost 34 lbs due to Throat Cancer. Want it back

Options
Retired 67 yr. old Firefighter. Total laryngectomy-no voice box, breathe through stoma hole in neck.Just got permission from Dr. to start on Soft/ liquid diet. Nothing that has to be chewed. Need suggestions- smoothies, thick soups, Foods that puree well . Do limited light weight dumbbell work out few times a week. Lost all muscle tone. Get to start mowing yard again. YAHOO. Never thought I would look forward to doing that. Funny how things look different from a different point of view.

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Don't forget yogurt! Can you do cottage cheese, I know it's a bit lumpy but it's soft. You can probably do any soup you want just puree it in a blender. I personally love a roasted red pepper tomato or broccoli and cheese soup. Ensure or something like it is great to get in more protein, vitamins and nutrients. Make sure you are getting a good amount of protein. What about some something indian, usually saucy and made with potatoes or lentils, you could pop that right in a blender and then you would have something a little different to eat rather than the same old flavors. OOoOoo and mashed potatoes with gravy, you could def have that right?
  • jivacoolit
    jivacoolit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's the first thing I did when we got home 1 cup of taters and gravy. My first entry into my food log
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    find a high protein shake that you like! I lost 40 pounds when I was pregnant and nearly all my muscle tone, tore my esophagus from vomiting and was on a feeding tube - gaining it back was rougher than I expected. I had a learned aversion to food (texture hurt to throw up so I avoided it) Yogurt as mentioned, smoothies with some veggies, protein powder, etc thrown in. The possibilities are endless. Purchasing a ninja blender was one of the best things I ever did, that thing pureed everything and I could do individual cups on it. Mashed potatoes are yum, add some cream cheese or full fat sour cream!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Grits, just make them a little thinner.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    That sounds very difficult and I wish you the very best of luck in your recovery!

If you can "stomach" dairy, I'd definitely perfect the art of the yogurt smoothie (maybe even with extra whey protein). Note that you don't have to flavor it with sweets, you can use things like turmeric, cayenne, garlic, etc. In Indian cuisine, there is a yogurt drink called a "lassi" which might interest you. There are lots of recipes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    They should of given you a list with food suggestions.

When I've been limited to soft/liquid diets due to cancer... things like jello, soups, yogurt, shakes, pudding, ice cream were some of the suggestions.

Yeah I just wanted to get back to work and play baseball.

Hope things go well.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    They should of given you a list with food suggestions.

When I've been limited to soft/liquid diets due to cancer... things like jello, soups, yogurt, shakes, pudding, ice cream were some of the suggestions.

Yeah I just wanted to get back to work and play baseball.

Hope things go well.

Yup - KFC potatoes and gravy is high on that list. Peanut butter thinned out is a great option as well.

The doctors working on our cancer drugs follow these guidelines when we get patients with low appetite or wanting to put weight back on after chemo/radiation:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer/art-20045046
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, meal replacement shakes
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Glad you are on the mend, how scary. Don’t forget your greens. Super important. This isn’t going to sound good, but try it : pack kale and spinach with almond milk and half a frozen banana, liquid Stevia and 1tsp vanilla. Blend with or without a little ice. Salad in a cup.

There are also several companies that send shakes already made and shipped frozen, just add some milk/almond milk and blend.

Ground flax is good for omegas 3’s, chia pudding, refried, mashed beans or hummus. Butternut squash soup.

I’m vegan, but maybe bone broth? And there’s always Wendy’s Frosty’s!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can blend a lot of things into soups. I recently had a great roasted veggie soup that was pureed into a thick, almost baby food like blend.
    You could even mix in things like bacon fat, soft shredded pot roast, chicken thigh, hard boiled egg yolk, beans. Avocado is great for smoothies and soups. Top your soups with ricotta, sour cream, guacamole etc. You can also soak bread in soup so you don't have to chew it.

Best of luck. Feel better!
  • jivacoolit
    jivacoolit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your excellent suggestions. Will try them
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Mashed potato with lots of butter and milk, full fat dairy if you can tolerate it, cream, custard, cauliflower with cheese sauce (cauliflower can be cooked to a mush) protein shakes...
    My mother had to be on a soft diet after her stroke and was prescribed high calorie liquid meal replacements. We are in the UK though. But think you can get them online. Ice cream, Yoghurt. Mashed ripe avocado and banana, or are they too lumpy?
  • JonnyLegend58
    JonnyLegend58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! How’s things going? I just joined and found your thread. I’m a soon to be 60 yr old, now retired, ex factory worker. ‘Bout 3 years ago I started my cancer trail. Mine was the esophagus rather than the larynx, so my issues have all been digestive rather than much of any airway issues. I’ve lost about 1/3 my body weight over the past 3 years from this. I’m very interested in how you are making out. Unfortunately, my soft food period was about a week of soup and jello, but I had been and still was being formula fed via a jtube directly into my small intestines. I was highly motivated to return to normal food after 2 1/2 months of just that tube food. The second week I was eating cold pizza outta the fridge! So I have no suggestions for soft foods. How are things working out?