Should I adjust my weights routine?

Options
I currently do 4 days per week weight training, and throw in some cardio too. I do 2 x upper and 2 x lower. My upper body is very toned and I am fairly happy with how I am looking, but my lower body I am carrying a little more body fat than I would like. I enjoy working with weights, but am wondering if I should switch to 3 x lower body and 1 x upper body?

My concern with switching is that I seem to suffer a bit with fatigue in my legs after a lower body session, and I am concerned that 3 sessions per week would not incorporate enough rest and recovery.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Fat loss will happen through a deficit via eating less or increased cardio. Increasing your leg day routine won't make an obvious change in your body fat composition. So keep on with your working out, and adjust your caloric deficit (or keep on as you're going, and the results will come if you are currently losing weight).
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose the fat but I was wondering, do you do any core work mixed in? Because that's also important.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    fat loss is a result of diet. as a woman it's likely that you simply hold more bodyfat in the lower body (and this is commonly a hard area to lean out for women).

I would adjust my calories down, maybe throw in some HIIT sessions in place of your current cardio, and try increasing overall volume on the lower body.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My lower body responds very well to working it 3-4x per week.. with a properly designed program that incorporates higher frequency you don't go all out each time so you give your body adequate rest. Strong Curves is a full body program with focus on the lower, so 3-4x per week you do mainly lower with some upper..a push, pull then core.
  • Spitspot81
    Spitspot81 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My stats are
    Age 36
    Height 5ft4
    Weight 123lbs

I am in one of those awkward places where I don’t need to lose weight, but can’t decide if I should try and build some muscle. I have been this weight for a long time, eating approx 1600 Cala per day.

I guess I have got to make a decision for myself on where I want to go from here...but it’s a scary step