PCOS Diet Brick Wall.

kayteebr
kayteebr Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hi there,

I’ve not posted in here before but was hoping I could gain some insight, or possibly just some support. I am about 6 months into my weight loss and lost about 26lbs thus far. I was diagnosed with PCOS years ago and am currently 26. I haven’t had a period without the aid of medication in multiple years. Two years ago my husband and I went through grueling fertility treatment, and came out the other end empty handed with the diagnosis that I likely can’t ever have kids. I also had put on an additional 20+ lbs on top of already being overweight from medication. So, after trying to process the fact that the entire future I had planned was now null and void, I decided to work on myself. Starting in November, I started doing a low fat diet, and after two months had lost a total of seven pounds. My doctor then put me on 15mg of Phentermine and 50MG of Topamax. At that point my already extremely slow weight loss stalled, and I attempted switching to low carb. I tried keto and within a week a lost 6lbs. Unfortunately, I fell out of the keto diet plan because it is SO intensive, and my husband isn’t the most supportive as he is always asking me when this “diet thing” is going to stop, so I wind up breaking it. In any case, I’ve hit a brick wall. I haven’t lost any weight in over two and a half weeks. I feel like I can stick to a keto diet but I also have concerns because I am NOT insulin resistant, in fact when going through fertility treatment when I was prescribed metformin I had to monitor my blood sugar extremely carefully because it was low to begin with.

Has anyone had success with PCOS and diets OTHER than keto? Any tips, tricks or recommendations? I am new to the gym but I’ve heard that cardio is not the best for those with PCOS so I’m not quite sure what to do. On top of that, I’ve added in exercise in the past two weeks and I’ve lost NOTHING, and my fat percentage remained the same. No loss in inches, either. I’m just generally frustrated and ready to give it all up. L

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    1. So sorry to hear about all you've been through.
    2. How is your husband dealing with the stress and frustration?
    3. Have you tried just tracking calories and eating less?
    4. Have you tried leveraging your husband as a training partner for physical activity.

When my wife and I went though similar reproductive difficulties, figuring out how to leverage team us was very helpful, even though we don't have identical goals or opportunities.

So as I read it you're about 25 lbs heavier than you want to be, or about half way to where you want to be. Please correct that if I've misread. Stats are important(height/weight/goal)
  • ChelPop88
    ChelPop88 Posts: 1 Member
    Sorry to read everything you've gone through. I have PCOS w/IR (dx'd when I was a teen,) but have been a bump on a log lately and gained a ton of weight. In the past though, I have had success doing mostly strength training with cardio thrown in on weekends. I didn't have tons of success with just cardio regardless of how intense; I HAD to do the strength training too in order to lose weight. That in conjunction with a low carb diet worked pretty well for me as I lost 45 pounds over several months. I don't know if it's within your budget, but I worked with a personal trainer for a little while who helped me understand HOW to exercise and what's best for my body.

I'm far from an expert on anything. In fact, I barely get by in life, but I wanted to offer up my support. I'm on day 1 of a Keto diet. In the past, each time I was successful, I basically fixed our meals plus an additional carb for my spouse. He's supportive, but not enough to give up his potatoes. :D I hope you find something that works for you that is sustainable. That's been the kicker for me. A huge life event happens, and I use it as an excuse to fall off the wagon.

Cheering you on from the sidelines. Don't give up!

• L2HS
    L2HS Posts: 137 Member
    Hi there. I have PCOS. 4 years ago it took a straightforward OB suggesting bariatric surgery prior to TTC that prompted me to buckle down and lose weight. I went from 250lbs to 185lbs in 6 months. I completely agree with @jsminer87 regarding eating at a deficit. I started with learning how to eat about 1300 calories a day. The pounds melted away. When I plateaued with just diet, I added exercise. The elliptical and a couple sitcom episodes were my best friends. At the beginning, I ate what I wanted. If I blew calories on chips then I had to lose those calories on the treadmill that day. Totally worth it, in my opinion. As they weight dropped off, I learned that the chips weren’t worth the extra 30 minutes so my food choices got better (some days the chips or chocolate was still worth it). I thought it it would take awhile still before getting pregnant so we actively started TTC before I hit my goal weight. Again, totally worth it because of my miracle baby. My tale is a precautionary one though. I gained all 65 pounds back during pregnancy. Life and another child happened so I’m right back where I started. I just recently found my resolve to start again. Good luck to you on this journey!
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Just general calorie counting has worked for me - both now and in the past (at one point dropped from 205ish lbs to about 105-110lbs at my thinnest)... I'm currently managing to (very slowly) lose on about 1300 net calories a day, trying to drop from about 160lbs last year to low/mid 120s and then maintain

I'm one of those people who can't seem to find really low carb sustainable (feels like torture, honestly - I love fruit and oatmeal too much to go keto) so I don't know if me eating "normal" (not watching my carbs) has slowed me down or not, but it's kept me sane
    I threw in some exercise (light cardio, then tried bodyweight stuff, then added some dumbbells, etc) once I felt like I wasn't putting too much strain on my joints anymore, can't say I had fast results or that the weight melted off - but I did manage to see changes over time, just that they were really SLOW
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    I know this post is a few months old but I am returning to MFP. I have PCOS and was going to give Keto a try. I know for a fact and from previous doctors that my body has a hard time processing carbs and thinks it is in need of Carbs. I constantly crave (white) carbs and processed food and was going to try Keto. There is a surgery I need to have but I am too high risk and my GYN said she would like for me to lose 50 lbs first. So I am researching Keto and Atkins (again). My co-worker has been doing Keto for a little over a month and looks great! And another co-worker on campus did his side by side picture and it was really motivating. So for those who have sucessfully lost with having a PCOS diagnosis did you find you have better success with limiting the carbs?
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 87 Member
    I still eat carbs and am losing just under a pound a week. I gave up gluten and periods came back which is great because I would go years without a period. I am exercising and eating less so as long as it works I will stick to it. I started at 195 lbs and am now 162at 5”4. Goal is 130.