Question for all the C25K-ers out there.

Options
Okay, so I've heard a LOT about this program so far on this website. I've checked it out and it seems like something I can handle but I have a few questions.
I work out 6 days a week. This program is for 3 days a week. Should I stick to what it says, or do week 1 for 6 days, have a rest day like I usually do, then do week 2 for six days, repeat? Has anyone done this? Did it work for you?
Next question, did it actually work for you? How long/far could you run after completing the program?
When you're done with the program, do you just run until you're done, or do you repeat week 9?
Thanks!

Replies

• KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'd do the 3 days it says.. and then on your other days you want to exercise, do something different. I think it depends on what your body can handle though.

I'm on Week 2 of the program so I can't really answer any of your other questions.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I started last week and have never run. I just complete week 2 and was able to do all the running for this week. When I finish I am going to start running in 5k's in my area.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Follow the program as it's written. You are supposed to take a day off in between to allow your body to heal from the pounding you are putting it through. You may have to repeat days/weeks of the program. I actually ended up switching over to c210k at week 4 because I couldn't handle how fast they were increasing the time. c210k has shorter runs, longer recovery/walking but is twice as long of a workout.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think that since running is so intense on your joints, it's a good idea to have at least one rest day between your runs! I may need even more - I completed week two and my knees are KILLING me! So, I may need to slow down a bit and do other exercises as well :( This is disappointing me because I am REALLY looking forward to being able to run some sort of distance without huffing and puffing!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb for ANY structured exercise program is to do it the way it was designed, at least the first time. Once you know how it's supposed to work, THEN change it up to see what happens. When I did C25K, I did it on my resistance training days and did my regular cardio on the C25K "off days". I went from being an absolute non-runner to knocking out my first 5k at week 7. Since then I have run other 5k's and even a 5 miler. I typically run a 5k route around my neighborhood once or twice a week to stay with it.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 9, Day 3. I would have never imagined that I could actually run for 30 minutes nonstop. NEVER! But thanks to C25K, I can. And I am so very happy :)

My opinion, stick to the three days as the program lays out. You will be surprised at how your body will grow and respond with each week.

Good luck to you!
  • crummywatertowr
    crummywatertowr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would definately do it three days a week. I'm on week 4 but my wife and I did extend some weeks til we were comfortable to move on to the next week. And, of course, keep doing your other workouts on the other days....no reason to cut back if you already doing it!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb for ANY structured exercise program is to do it the way it was designed, at least the first time. Once you know how it's supposed to work, THEN change it up to see what happens. When I did C25K, I did it on my resistance training days and did my regular cardio on the C25K "off days". I went from being an absolute non-runner to knocking out my first 5k at week 7. Since then I have run other 5k's and even a 5 miler. I typically run a 5k route around my neighborhood once or twice a week to stay with it.

Big ditto!! Except I haven't done a 5 miler YET!! Follow the program, do it as designed, so you don't risk injury. I started in February, ran my first 5K in April, second one in June. Ready to sign up for another.
  • marianeo
    marianeo Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 8 day 3, and have followed the program pretty constantly. I do it only 3 times a week, as I feel I need to recover from the run! I did my first 5k race this past Tuesday, and put in a time of 38 mins for the whole distance. In my head I knew I could go 5k's because I had been following the program! Other thing, I was on a two month plateau before I started c25k, and it was doing this program that really got me moving again!

Good luck with it!
  • corbansmom
    Options
    If I were to do it over again, I'd just do the 3 days of running and do something else the other days days (strength training would be great). I started it at week 5 and ran 4-6 days at first. I had pain pretty early on, but I pushed through it. After completing the program, I bumped up my running 10% as the recommended max, but I'm paying for not listening to my body in the beginning. I now have shin splints and probably won't be able to run for 6-8 weekos. Once you've completed the program, you'll more than likely love to run so much that an injury will be the last thing you want! Take it slow and listen to your body. If you need to repeat weeks or slow down, do it! You'll be thankful you took a little bit longer to complete it in the long haul. The program is WONDERFUL though, and I highly recommend it! Make sure you go get fitted at a running shoe specialty store before you start. They will check your arch, gait, and all your biomechanics to make sure you're in the right shoe. I hope this goes well for you...you can do this! You CAN become a runner! I'll send a friend request for support. :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Only do C25k three times a week. You can do other exercise on your in-between days... something lower impact.

I always did a bit more than the program called for. Maybe adding an extra interval or two on the workout, or adding a few minutes onto each run later in the plan (ie, 25 minutes instead of 20), just because I'm a stubborn fool.

At the end of the plan, I kept increasing my distance little by little, and then did a 10k training plan. I typically run 3-4 times a week, some shorter distances (2-3 miles), and some longer ones (5-6.5 miles).
  • corbansmom
    Options
    Check out this video if you haven't already seen it- very inspirational C25k video!

http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Great program! Just finished it today ran my final 30mins and then ran another 30mins, so actually finished with a 10k run :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all so much for the advice! I'm a little worried I won't be able to move on that quickly, but we'll see how it goes and if I need to extend a week, I will. :)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lorina and the others.

I did 3 days a week, sometimes 2 as i did 30ds and zumba . Its quite high impact and your body will definitely need the rest. However, i used to add 5 mins on top at the end. By the time week 7 came i was running for 30 mins non stop. and so i just continued to run from then on. Follow the programme for the first few weeks and if you feel you can handle it, you can skip a stage or repeat a stage. Entirely up to you as remember its just a guide.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys all so much for the advice! I'm a little worried I won't be able to move on that quickly, but we'll see how it goes and if I need to extend a week, I will. :)

Just give it a go, if you need to repeat a wek before you feel confident to move on then that's quite ok.
    I started running in January with the help of C25K and today I ran 16km!!! That's my longest ever and I'm so proud of myself :)
    My best tips:
    - get fitted for good shoes
    - don't go too fast. Running slow is ok, go for endurance first, speed will come.
    - give yourself rest days. You don't have to do nothing, buts it's good to mix on some strength work or different cardio.
    - enjoy it!
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I would follow the program's schedule, but then still do your regular exercise program. So on 3 days a week you'll be doubling up your exercise. You might find that you need to take it down a notch. I am training for 1/2 marathon (it's now 2 weeks away!). I run according to my training schedule and then take my usual classes at the gym (kickboxing, kettle bells, spinning, etc...). The cross training will make you stronger and have more endurance for your runs. Once you complete the program, keep running! Add in one more day of runnning, and then try and increase your speed and your time. For example, one dayyou run fast and short, rest, next time out long and slow, rest, interval sprints, long and steday etc.....pretty soon you'll be running for miles on end and feel great :)
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options

Just give it a go, if you need to repeat a wek before you feel confident to move on then that's quite ok.
    I started running in January with the help of C25K and today I ran 16km!!! That's my longest ever and I'm so proud of myself :)
    My best tips:
    - get fitted for good shoes
    - don't go too fast. Running slow is ok, go for endurance first, speed will come.
    - give yourself rest days. You don't have to do nothing, buts it's good to mix on some strength work or different cardio.
    - enjoy it!

DEFINITELY get fitted for good shoes. I was trying to run in shoes that I'd bought at Kohls or Lady Footlocker... that said they were running shoes. No. I wasn't getting any real absorbtion and it was tearing my knee's and hips up. Find a store that specializes in running and let them size you and watch how you walk so they can suggest the best shoe for you. I got mine at a store called Bob Ronker's running spot- I'm very happy with them.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I am on Week 6 Day 2 and am loving it. I do know those who do it everyday but don't think that is generally a good idea. I am actually only doing 2 days a week since I walk with my husband on the weekend. It is working fine for me. I am in a support group here and many people vary it slightly like adding extra intervals on at the end. or running longer when they feel up to it. I have only run longer by a minute or 2 no more. I do not go by the distance but the minutes since I run alot slower than most. So I will continue the progam after the 30 minute run until I have run around Greenlake which is almost 3 miles (5K). I am planning to run a 5K Family Fun Run in late September. I am up to running 25 minutes trying to lengthen my distance each time. Good luck.