• NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I would like to join too. Had too much wine last night
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Wow @edmudman - sobering is right. And terrifying.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    edmudman wrote: »

Wow- very sad. But so important to know. These poor young people werent drinking every day and now to be dying from this chronic condition makes me so sad. I also pray every night that my own kids don't drink. It's such a curse. And I don't want them to every experience the pain alcohol can cause. It's important to read these articles- it helps me so much to stay the course. Xo
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    This was a good read this morning. As some of you know, The Sober school is a great resource.
    https://thesoberschool.com/give-up-on-your-alcohol-free-goals/

Haha, very good.

And I loved the link to the blog post it sent me to:

https://thesoberschool.com/it-would-never-have-happened-if-id-still-been-drinking/

It's his students' many answers to the question, and perhaps others here might want to answer too:

"Is there something you’ve experienced recently that would never have happened, if you’d still been drinking?"
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,179 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Since then, I've drank a few times and cannot imagine why I still want to drink once in awhile. I know how great it feels to be sober , so I cannot figure out why I go back to drinking. That's the gist of my own story.

For me it is great by comparison but then as I go longer times between drinking the reality is that being sober is just normal life which at times can be dull. I certainly don't think it is as simple as having rainy days to appreciate the sunshine though. That is my goal for this month. I wish to continue what I started last month and figure out more of what is true (for me) and what is a lie about drinking and why I enjoy doing it.

I was reading a blog. And the blogger says that depression can kick in 5 weeks to a few months after you quit. I can see that actually. Also, the blogger said after he quit for a few months, he thought, "Where's the sober party?" Implying it can be quite boring being AF. I know that I feel that way too. I look at all my friends going out and drinking like they always have, and I wonder why can't I be like that. But then I remember how good I feel these days and I remember how *kitten* I felt those days.

Having said that, I woke up and thought that tomorrow at the staff end of the year party, I may have a drink or two. See, I equate rewards with alcohol. It's does trigger the reward system in the brain. Because that is what I've been doing for over two decades.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Having said that, I woke up and thought that tomorrow at the staff end of the year party, I may have a drink or two. See, I equate rewards with alcohol. It's does trigger the reward system in the brain. Because that is what I've been doing for over two decades.

The mind is generally a lazy, lying piece of *kitten*, that needs discipline & training as much as the body does. It would rather you had a drink, so it can put you on autopilot while it slinks off to hide.

• amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Welp, got my lab results back! Last year at this time I was looking at pre-diabetes and really high cholesterol. I’m happy to report that I’m no longer on the road to diabetes! It was inevitable and only a matter of time (And not even a lot of time.) had I continued on my path and not lost some weight.

My high cholesterol, though, is even higher. That baffled my doctor a little because I have lost 70 pounds. I will have to make some changes to my diet and see if I can get that number down. It scares me a little because heart disease runs rampant in my family, so I would really like to improve my cholesterol. It’s not bad enough for medication, but it is a cause for concern.

Still. I went from pre-diabetic to completely normal and that’s something! I couldn’t have lost 70 pounds had I still been drinking. It was the one thing that always stopped my weight loss attempts. So, I am proud of myself even if I still have stuff to work on.

Could the reason you still have high cholesterol is because you’re still on a high fat diet? Your own body fat that is full of toxins that you are burning off and getting into your system. I would be interested in seeing that once you have lost all your weight and maintain what your cholesterol would be.