Garmin showing calories burned

Options
Ok so a question! I have just linked my garmin again to my account. I feel as if it is giving me outrageous amount "earned calories" I'm thinking it is because my heart rate is going up when i walk. My heart rate is going up into the 120's when i walk. So inn thinking maybe it is thinking I'm working harder then walking? Any thoughts?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What is the outrageous amount?
  • crisberube
    crisberube Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    What is the outrageous amount?

My steps will be like 5000 and my calories burned or earned will equal 1500 sometimes 2000
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    For the day? or just the 5000 steps?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Give it a few days to adjust to you. Mine did the same thing the first couple of days.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It might also track your resting metabolic rate. My friend had a Garmin and his did this.

Essentially it's telling you, in total, how many calories you've burnt that day, as opposed to how many extra calories you've burnt. The idea being that as long as your calories in is less than the number it's reading, then you should be losing weight.

If you consult the manual, it'll probably tell you if this is the case, or if you can change it if you don't want to see this.
  • crisberube
    crisberube Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Thre day
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Just had something like this happen today. The Garmin is showing a couple thousand more calories than I should have earned. Drilling into why, I'm showing a bunch of "intense exercise" that I didn't actually do. Looking at the heart rate graph, I spent most of the day bouncing between 120-150 beats per minute, and the Garmin thought I was doing cardio the whole time. Yes, I know tachycardia is bad. Probably due to way too much drinking last night followed by heavy coffee consumption to power through a tough day. I promise I'll be fine tomorrow. Hopefully that explanation allows me to avoid inevitable internet admonishment. Just posting in case this is what you're seeing. Check your intense exercise for accuracy, and if it's off, look at your heart rate graph.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I just switched from fitbit to garmin and i get much less calories now than i did with fitbit. I can have 13000 steps and a calorie burn of 1800 at the end of the day.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    My garmin is pretty accurate.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    crisberube wrote: »

Thre day

Are you talking about the calories burned on the Garmin device or the adjustment you get for the day on MFP?

If it’s the burn on your Garmin tracker, that’s not really outrageous since it includes your BMR as well. So it’s reporting your Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

If it’s the adjustment on MFP, I would be skeptical and start looking at settings.