Interesting advice from a dietitian!

Today I went to see a dietitian, not because I was after advice or a diet plan, but because I just wanted to do the body composition analysis . I am aware that these things are not always accurate, but thought it would be good to measure my progress. My weight was no surprise, I weigh everyday and record it on a trending app. Body fat percentage came out at 32% which is kind of what I thought it could be. Muscle mass came out at 35.8% which was too high. She advised that I stopped lifting to avoid gaining any more muscle and that I should try to lose some. Also that I should be aiming for 53kg as an ideal weight. The weight range was given as 42.6kg (yes really!) and 57.7kg!!! I am 1m57 and currently 64kg. The lowest end is in my mind very much underweight. Other advice included don’t eat below BMR as this won’t make you lose fat and drink 2.6 l of water. As i say, it wasn’t her advice I was after nor paid for, so didn’t pursue it, but just so surprised to hear the advice to lose muscle. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Are you male or female? While that % is extremely high for a female, you are aiming to lose quite a bit of weight, and some of that will be muscle mass. Keep lifting.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2018
    Are you male or female? While that % is extremely high for a female, you are aiming to lose quite a bit of weight, and some of that will be muscle mass. Keep lifting.

And that's assuming the number was even correct. How did they determine your BF % and muscle %, @tremmax?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

And that's assuming the number was even correct. How did they determine your BF % and muscle %, @tremmax?

THIS!!

Was it a DXA, BOD POD, BIA? IF BIA was it 2 or 4 or 8 Points of contact?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Please do not listen to anything that they had to say. That is very terrible advice.

I would definitely not stop lifting weights (unless you want to lose muscle and not have any definition when you get to goal and have a higher bodyfat% similar to what you have now) and please do not aim to be underweight.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Yikes, run away.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Absolutely terrible advice, glad to hear you do not intend on listening to that nonsense.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    The only thing I see in there that was blatantly wrong was the bit about eating below BMR won't make you lose. The rest of it is either ok, lacking context, or making huge sweeping assumptions about goals/preferences.

Basically sounds like the dietitian was reciting standardized info rather than actually caring about you as an individual.
  • stanmann571
    How much did this session cost you?

For a BIA(8 point) scan, plus that advice, anything more than $15 is too much.

DXA I think normally run $50-100.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'm glad you didn't pay for this "advice."
  • tremmax
    tremmax Posts: 9 Member
    edited May 2018
    Not sure what you would call the machine that did the analysis, but I stood on a scale thing with 4 metal plates and held two things in my hands. Sorry for the completely non technical definition. I am guessing that the muscle mass was off, as I am not muscular at all. Maybe the results were affected by the fact I had just done a workout and was quite sweaty. But she knew that and would have surely been able to see that I am not muscular like the readout had shown.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    tremmax wrote: »
    Not sure what you would call the machine that did the analysis, but I stood on a scale thing with 4 metal plates and held two things in my hands. Sorry for the completely non technical definition. I am guessing that the muscle mass was off, as I am not muscular at all. Maybe the results were affected by the fact I had just done a workout and was quite sweaty.

Not an especially accurate way to measure body fat. I'd take those results with a grain of salt.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    The measurement device sounds like an InBody body comp scanner. I don't have a lot of faith in them, but they're certainly a significant improvement over most bia devices. For me, InBody is within 1% of dexa for body fat, but no idea about the other metrics it claims to be able to measure.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Not sure what you would call the machine that did the analysis, but I stood on a scale thing with 4 metal plates and held two things in my hands. Sorry for the completely non technical definition. I am guessing that the muscle mass was off, as I am not muscular at all. Maybe the results were affected by the fact I had just done a workout and was quite sweaty. But she knew that and would have surely been able to see that I am not muscular like the readout had shown.

Yeah, hydration or lack thereof, throw those things off.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member

Yeah, hydration or lack thereof, throw those things off.

Which is why it's recommended not to do strenuous activities before (not sure of the time frame) and to be fasted (4hrs is usually advised).
  • stanmann571
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    The measurement device sounds like an InBody body comp scanner. I don't have a lot of faith in them, but they're certainly a significant improvement over most bia devices. For me, InBody is within 1% of dexa for body fat, but no idea about the other metrics it claims to be able to measure.

BIA 6 or 8 point analyzer. Better by far than it's predecessors and retail versions, but Still not something you should be using immediately after a training session.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Today I went to see a dietitian, not because I was after advice or a diet plan, but because I just wanted to do the body composition analysis . I am aware that these things are not always accurate, but thought it would be good to measure my progress. My weight was no surprise, I weigh everyday and record it on a trending app. Body fat percentage came out at 32% which is kind of what I thought it could be. Muscle mass came out at 35.8% which was too high. She advised that I stopped lifting to avoid gaining any more muscle and that I should try to lose some. Also that I should be aiming for 53kg as an ideal weight. The weight range was given as 42.6kg (yes really!) and 57.7kg!!! I am 1m57 and currently 64kg. The lowest end is in my mind very much underweight. Other advice included don’t eat below BMR as this won’t make you lose fat and drink 2.6 l of water. As i say, it wasn’t her advice I was after nor paid for, so didn’t pursue it, but just so surprised to hear the advice to lose muscle. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

What other numbers did she give you? Is 35.8% supposed to be just skeletal muscle, or dry lean mass, or . . . ?

35.8% + 32% = 67.8%, which leaves only 32.2%. Did she tell you what that is?

I agree that 42.6 kg seems too thin (17.3 BMI is underweight statistically, and could only be even potentially appropriate if your build is very, very slight (more common in certain ethnic groups, but extremely uncommon overall)). 53kg (21.5 BMI) may not be crazy, but these things always depend on overall body configuration as well as muscle mass.

21.5 BMI is a little heavier than my favorite weight, even though I'm not completely devoid of muscles . . . but I'm built like a 14-year old boy rather than like a 62-year-old woman (no hips, and post-bilateral mastectomy besides). I know quite a few women, with more "womanly" ;) pelvic width and generous bust size, who'd be crazy thin at 21.5 BMI. That's without even getting into muscularity. Even the 57.7 would be on the thin side, for a few.

As far as your having "too much" muscle: Complete nonsense. As long as you're happy with your body, the more muscle the better, IMO. Why would it be wrong to be "too strong"?!?!

Eating below your BMI might be a dumb strategy (over-restriction) but it won't make you fat while you do it (maybe when you break down and binge from the over-restriction ;) ). 2.6l of water is curiously specific, and (for my taste) a little high, but not completely nuts. It makes more sense to go by thirst or urine color (pale).

Sounds like the advice was worth what you paid for it. ;)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Where in the world did that "dietician" get her degree? Or was it a nutritionist without all that formal training necessary to certify?

No dietician I know would recommend someone stop weight training to purposefully lose muscle mass while trying to lose weight. That's just insane.

Exactly. Was this a Weight Loss Coach. Coaches can be quacks without any training whatsoever. They may just pay another quack without any medical training whatsoever a fee like MLM to become a coach. Nuh huh, wash that right out of your hair. Coaches are a dime a dozen- on every corner waiting to take your hard earned cash for everything.