Less Alcohol- June 2018- One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    @crazykatlady820 Congratulations on that tremendous weight loss! That is most inspirational!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I was reading a blog. And the blogger says that depression can kick in 5 weeks to a few months after you quit. I can see that actually. Also, the blogger said after he quit for a few months, he thought, "Where's the sober party?" Implying it can be quite boring being AF. I know that I feel that way too. I look at all my friends going out and drinking like they always have, and I wonder why can't I be like that. But then I remember how good I feel these days and I remember how *kitten* I felt those days.

Having said that, I woke up and thought that tomorrow at the staff end of the year party, I may have a drink or two. See, I equate rewards with alcohol. It's does trigger the reward system in the brain. Because that is what I've been doing for over two decades.

Well you are probably blessed to still get the bad hangovers which I realize is an odd thing to say. The difference for me is more about weight and the limitations it imposes and how I feel overall.

The reward thing is something I am going to have to contemplate though. Is thinking it is fun and an easy way to pass a few hours the same as a reward? I will be asking myself a lot of questions this month I think. Thanks for sharing that.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @crazykatlady820 Good job on the 70 and reversing your pre-diabetes. I wish I knew something about cholesterol to help you but there are plenty of people who do that can I am sure.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    mgiron wrote: »
    I am joining this as well. I've been drinking more and more during the week; at times affecting my job by calling in sick. I am constantly telling myself, "Oh its my so and so's birthday, let's have drinks!" OR "Hey, it's Friday." I am tired of it as it's making me gain weight and becoming more of a habit than before. I want to completely stop, but being 24 and having friends that drink makes it very difficult for me.

I'm impressed with you being only 24 and knowing that alcohol doesn't have to be part of a long, fulfilling life and it's drags you down. You may be your friend's inspiration in the future to cut back. Read the book Alcohol Explained if you can. It is eye opening. We are all cheering you on. Let's make June on the dry side! xo

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    So great to read everybody's new comments. @donimfp - yes, heartily agree with what you said about younger people getting a grip sooner rather than later. And congrats on your new chapter - how wonderful!
    @JulieAL1969 - thanks for remembering the story about my son and girlfriend's breakup. Shocking turn around for sure. They have each had a couple of drinks since March, but are basically not drinking. Interesting side note: They recently went to a weekend work event at an island in the Caribbean that shall remain unnamed so I don't get anyone into trouble. 90% of the people at this event just got *kitten*-faced. I mean, they didn't drink a little, they did blackout, crazy drinking. My son and his GF bonded with the only people there besides themselves who weren't drinking, a CEO client of a fairly good-sized company and his wife. My son and this CEO have now done some valuable business together and it all started because they bonded over being AF. This is not to say folks don't bond over drinking, just that it's possible to form business relationships when you're not.

Would you guys believe I have just now started the Alcohol Experiment? I may be the last person here to check this out, but just felt like I could use a mid-year tuneup. It's super helpful. Very analytical about the biological effects of drinking. I'm learning a lot.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @mgiron - welcome to a supportive, nonjudgmental group. We're all here to support each other and toss around ideas. Everyone has to figure out his own approach on this, but even if you just figure out a few ways to cut back a bit you'll be far ahead of doing nothing. Wishing you the best!
  • Gingergal12
    Gingergal12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @crazykatlady820:
    Congrats on your accomplishments! I had something similar happen after losing 25 pounds. My doctor thinks that if I continue to do what I’ve been doing the cholesterol and triglycerides will come down. My physical is in November but I may ask for an fasting blood test to be done before then to see where the levels are.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @erikNJ I feel for you. That's a tough situation. You'll work it out. Maybe take a little break from these people.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @donimfp It's the end of one chapter, and the beginning of a new one. You will make a huge difference in your new job. And it will be even better with a clear head, lots of energy, and focus. Cheers to a dry June!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    Doing well here in the Midwest. I decided to fast today from breakfast until dinner- a mini fast of 9 hours. I just wanted to really shake up my diet. It was really a good experiment. Sometimes stretching the willpower muscle feels good. You prove to yourself that you can do hard things. I think I'll try it again in a few days and do 16 hours fast. No alcohol for 6 days. And it feels good.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @Gingergal12 I do know that reducing alcohol helps cholesterol as well. Can't wait to what your test results are in November.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @kittybenn Great story about your son reaping many rewards due to not drinking. Wow- who knows where this will go!
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this great thread. I'm doing my own personal "Dry 'till July" challenge. I have never had a problem with alcohol before, but I had two incidents, one in March and one on May 3rd, where I had too much to drink and suffered consequences. Fortunately, they were not life-threatening or long-lasting or unrecoverable, but the next day I realized that that was not the person I wanted to be.

I'll be celebrating a family member's B-day the first week in July, and I will drink, but I will not get drunk.

After that, I still won't be drinking regularly because, health benefits aside, it's not conducive to weight loss at all, and that's important to me right now.