Help! My dog just ate half a quest bar

Options
Will he be ok? It was chocolate chip cookie dough. I don't think he ate enough chocolate to do him any harm, but what about the other ingredients? Anything dog toxic in there?

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think it'll be a problem outside of some possible gastro upset. How much does your dog weigh?
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    15 pounds.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    If its milk chocolate and your dog ins't a toy size you're probably ok. but the smaller the dog the less it takes and the more pure the chocolate the worse it is. The tiniest amount of cocoa (pure baking chocolate powder) could be fatal. if its dark or bitter chocolate I suggest an emergency hospital.
  • azdeha
    azdeha Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Dogs can be amazingly resilient because of their scavenger ancestory. Mine once ate an entire pack of Ibuprofen and a box of Amoxicillin in the same sitting and despite throwing up and having her stomach pumped as a precaution, went on to eat part of my coffee table, numerous socks, the Twilight saga (that I didn't mind so much) half a razor and my makeup - which resulted in green sparkly poop for a week.

A small amount of chocolate won't harm your dog (depending on size obviously but i've had Westies that stole chocolate and were fine) but keep an eye on him.

Incidentally...I sound like I'm a terrible owner. She was a rescue with serious seperation anxiety. She doesn't eat anything she isn't meant to now...except the cat food that is.....
  • lebbyloses
    Options
    I was actually worried about the sweetener. I know xylitol is deadly to dogs, but it looks like they use erythritol, which seems not to be, per a quick google.
  • lebbyloses
    Options
    Also, now that I'm not so worried it will kill him, how dare he?! That was going to be breakfast!
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    With this type of thing, I think it's best to get it checked by your Vet. right away. I wouldn't risk it!
    My mom is a certified vet tech & has been in the field for the last 30+ years and I can't tell you how many times owners have waited too long to get stuff like this checked out. Better safe than sorry. Especially since your pooch is only 15lbs. I hope all is well :flowerforyou:
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    A phone call to the vet is free.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was actually worried about the sweetener. I know xylitol is deadly to dogs, but it looks like they use erythritol, which seems not to be, per a quick google.

This, also macadamia nuts, even a few can cause severe central nervous system damage . Not that your bar should have any but always check for that nut as well.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I don't think a Quest bar has pure enough chocolate to warrant and trip to the emergency vet. Keep an eye on your pup and if he starts to look in distress, call the Vet.

Here's a chocolate toxicity meter: http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

I do know a dog that died from chocolate - he weighed about 65 lbs and ate an entire 24-oz bag of chocolate chips. Half a Quest bar in a 15 lb dog is nowhere near a fatal dose.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    With this type of thing, I think it's best to get it checked by your Vet. right away. I wouldn't risk it!
    My mom is a certified vet tech & has been in the field for the last 30+ years and I can't tell you how many times owners have waited too long to get stuff like this checked out. Better safe than sorry. Especially since your pooch is only 15lbs. I hope all is well :flowerforyou:

I agree with this! When my dog got some chocolate last christmas the emergency vet said if its been more than an hour or so since they ate it there could already be enough in their system to be fatal... Not trying to scare you but better safe than sorry. (speaking from experience, I lost a kitten a couple of years ago after she got into a fatal plant and I did the wait and see game...)

You could just call them too to see what they think...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    He will be fine. I can't tell you all the "bad" things my dog has eaten in her life. Dogs love people food. I think there is a lot of scare mongering about what a dog can or can not eat. Did I mention that my dog loves to dig in the garbage and has dragged home the most disgusting things you can imagine? Last week she found a rotten steak that stunk to high heaven. I don't know where she found it or how she beat the magpies and crows to the treasure, but she ate half of it. She was all smiles.
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about it just force your dog to swallow some Hydrogen Peroxide... in just a few seconds it will puke up everything that is in it's stomach. I have had to do this several times to my dogs that have gotten into things they shouldn't have. and works great and causes no harm to the dog.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx
  • lebbyloses
    Options
    I called. You guys are right, better safe than sorry. The emergency vet says erythritol is only toxic in large quantities. So now he's just a bad, food stealing dog who might have diarrheal tomorrow from the proteins, per the vet. I don't care about diarrhea. I just love my dog.

I was worrying because I once went to a talk where a vet said the amount of xylitol in a few pieces of gum could kill a small dog, and I have a small dog! But luckily erythritol is not xylitol.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of fiber for a dog. You should prepare the big shovel.
  • jposthumus
    jposthumus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My 40 pound labradoodle did the same thing this morning! 1/3-1/2 Quest chocolate chip cookie dough protein bar.

Called the company; they said full bar contains 7-8 grams of unsweetened chocolate. At max, he ingested 2.4 grams. Per above toxicity table, it shouldn’t be a problem.

Called vet, induced vomiting per instructions. Not much protein bar came up though.

Did all work out ok for your dog?
  • jposthumus
    jposthumus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Neither funny nor helpful