• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    When I’m cutting, around 3-4lbs
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You're certainly free to think of it that way; I don't.

My way of thinking is this: There are numerous studies showing benefits of veggie/fruit consumption (many admittedly correlational or survey/statistical so sub-ideal scientifically, but pretty consistent). These (probable IMO but undiscovered) beneficial nutrients have been in Real Food (TM) all along, so people eating nutritious food have been getting them without needing to force anything. Veggies & fruits (and whole grains & more) are evolution tested.

I like veggies and fruits a lot, and I'm a bet-hedger, so - speaking personally only - I see no downside to eating lots.

I hate breaking up quotes in replies this way. For you I make an exception.

It is not a way of thinking it is a question but you made my point in the bolded. People have been getting what they need from Real Food (TM) all along so why does the average person need to worry about it? You don't need to answer because you already did with bet hedging which makes sense.
    I'd urge others to carefully consider the recommendations of mainstream national/international health and nutrition authorities (USDA, WHO, etc.), and the evidence they use to support those recommendations. That would be 5 servings or so. I don't urge mega veg on the world at large, even though that's what I enjoy. (I know I'm fortunate to be able to afford to do whatever I want in that respect, BTW. Most first worlders can afford 5 servings, I suspect - some are very economical).

Opinion: It's not that structured or deterministic Humans are surprisingly adaptable. Again: Bet hedging, not certainty. And it's your eating, so your call. :)

Oh I probably eat more than I need each week. I certainly eat more than some of my vegetable adverse friends who eat next to none with no discernable downside to-date. I love vegetables but I don't actively track them or the number of servings. I think it is like tracking micronutrients like Potassium or tracking water intake. I feel assured that with a varied diet I get what I need.

I don't like the vagueness of 5 servings. Common sense suggests you eat a variety but common sense doesn't always seem to be that common.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You're certainly free to think of it that way; I don't.

My way of thinking is this: There are numerous studies showing benefits of veggie/fruit consumption (many admittedly correlational or survey/statistical so sub-ideal scientifically, but pretty consistent). These (probable IMO but undiscovered) beneficial nutrients have been in Real Food (TM) all along, so people eating nutritious food have been getting them without needing to force anything. Veggies & fruits (and whole grains & more) are evolution tested.

I like veggies and fruits a lot, and I'm a bet-hedger, so - speaking personally only - I see no downside to eating lots.

I hate breaking up quotes in replies this way. For you I make an exception.

It is not a way of thinking it is a question but you made my point in the bolded. People have been getting what they need from Real Food (TM) all along so why does the average person need to worry about it? You don't need to answer because you already did with bet hedging which makes sense.
    I'd urge others to carefully consider the recommendations of mainstream national/international health and nutrition authorities (USDA, WHO, etc.), and the evidence they use to support those recommendations. That would be 5 servings or so. I don't urge mega veg on the world at large, even though that's what I enjoy. (I know I'm fortunate to be able to afford to do whatever I want in that respect, BTW. Most first worlders can afford 5 servings, I suspect - some are very economical).

Opinion: It's not that structured or deterministic Humans are surprisingly adaptable. Again: Bet hedging, not certainty. And it's your eating, so your call. :)

Oh I probably eat more than I need each week. I certainly eat more than some of my vegetable adverse friends who eat next to none with no discernable downside to-date. I love vegetables but I don't actively track them or the number of servings. I think it is like tracking micronutrients like Potassium or tracking water intake. I feel assured that with a varied diet I get what I need.

I don't like the vagueness of 5 servings. Common sense suggests you eat a variety but common sense doesn't always seem to be that common.

Many people (not all) - so maybe that "average person" - in the US (and maybe other parts of the first world - I lack experience) don't eat huge amounts of "real food", IMO. I'm taking whole food, as grown. There's nothing evil about a hamburger bun or Doritos - I eat both sometimes - but things are subtracted and added. It's worth thought. (Not panic, though.) Surveys suggest the "average person" eats what the national nutritional bodies consider too few veg/fruit. That's just a fact.

P.S. Just because I like you, not to be mean, and because I was a liberal arts major: I think you mean "averse" rather than"adverse".

Splitting up: I don't do it a lot (tedious). Occasionally clearer.

Common sense varies by community. You get to pick yours.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 or more # of veggies every day and about the same in fruit.
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I usually have around 1200-1500g of fruits and veggies.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I don't keep track of the total amount of veggies I eat in a day except for logging them. Each veggie is different. Some, like avocados, are dense in fat calories, while others like celery are basically nil. I eat many vegetables a day. Some in the form of a mixed salad, some in stirfry, others I will cook independently, like corn, green beans, zucchini, spaghetti squash, roasted Brussel sprouts...etc. I just eat what I have available and log it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Many people (not all) - so maybe that "average person" - in the US (and maybe other parts of the first world - I lack experience) don't eat huge amounts of "real food", IMO. I'm taking whole food, as grown. There's nothing evil about a hamburger bun or Doritos - I eat both sometimes - but things are subtracted and added. It's worth thought. (Not panic, though.) Surveys suggest the "average person" eats what the national nutritional bodies consider too few veg/fruit. That's just a fact.

P.S. Just because I like you, not to be mean, and because I was a liberal arts major: I think you mean "averse" rather than"adverse".

Splitting up: I don't do it a lot (tedious). Occasionally clearer.

Common sense varies by community. You get to pick yours.

You can correct me. I don't care. I get into a hurry or get distracted and make old habit mistakes then forget to go back and correct.

I will accept your fact that the "average person" eats too few vegetables and fruits based on some standard but I am still not sure how that translates to their health. However, I don't know if that "average person" includes less fortunate people and children who are malnourished.

I fear this will only get more cumbersome and that is my fault. There is no way of knowing the diet of all my neighbors and if they are eating less than the recommended f&v if there is any discernable impact on their nutrient levels or overall health. I should have never asked an unknowable question.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    For medical reasons, I can't eat most raw veggies any more and it really cut down on my consumption. I'm slowly getting it back up by playing around with ways of cooking them that I also like cold. It's just so handy to have veggies already set up for snacks.

I don't keep track of total veggies I eat each day, I just try to get a lot.