Options
cnjg420
cnjg420 Posts: 405 Member
Does going over your sodium limit cause weight gain

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Yes. No. Sodium binds water. Water has weight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Only in the sense of temporary water weight gain, not in the sense of actual fat.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yes in water weight. gpeiw9cwkkl5.jpeg
    I eat 10k at least of sodium and if I decrease for a few days I drop 5lbs in water weight, lol.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Weight yes, fat no
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    cnjg420 wrote: »
    Yes in water weight. gpeiw9cwkkl5.jpeg
    I eat 10k at least of sodium and if I decrease for a few days I drop 5lbs in water weight, lol.

How do you eat so much sodium

I usually eat 4 servings of these awesome pretzels that have 500mg per serving. I eat banana peppers daily, about 1/4c franks hot sauce, 4 pickle slices on my sandwiches, tons of mustard on all my sandwiches, lots of protein bars that have 200mg per bar, etc. I have eaten high sodium my entire life though. Even as a kid I would eat about 1/4c hot sauce a day on top of adding salt to all my food and eating tons of pickles. But when I go on vacation or something and eat differently it is amazing how I drop 5lbs like clockwork a few days after lower sodium.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Eating too much sodium doesn't cause an increase in your weight from excess fat, but it can cause your body to retain fluid. That will add a pound or two of excess water weight. In most women, that goes up and down in relation to intake, hormones and menstrual cycle.