Biochemistry answers for common weight loss questions: Sodium. (warning, long and nerdy)

Options
Aaron_K123
Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So lately I've seen a lot of posts about sudden weight gain or sudden weight loss and what does it mean or something about whether or not I should care about sodium in my diet. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding or misinformation out there. This is an attempt to address what is actually going on in your body when you take in sodium (or other ions) which I think if understood will help answer any questions one might have about sodium intake. I realize this sort of explanation is definitely not for everyone, but for those who would like to know I thought I'd try to explain. I'm not going to try to cover everything sodium does, just the main thing I think people care about. If I misrepresent something in here please do provide a correction in the comments.

Why is Sodium important, what does it do to our body?

When people talk about sodium they are typically talking about sodium chloride or table salt, NaCl. In water NaCl dissociates into Na+ and Cl+, ions if you are a chemist…or electrolytes if you are a wellness blogger. Ions in solution are kept at a constant concentration by diffusion. If you had two 1 liter pools of water separated by a barrier that was permeable to ions like sodium but not water and you put 10 grams of salt in one side and 20 grams of salt in the other the sodium ions would migrate through the barrier from the high concentration to the low concentration until there was 15 grams per liter on both sides. The amount of water on either side would remain the same at 1 liter. If the barrier was instead permeable to water but not sodium what would happen is that water would transfer from the low sodium side to the high sodium side until there was the same amount of sodium per unit water on both sides thus coming to equilibrium just like in the first example. What this effectively would mean though is that one side would lose water down to 0.66 liters and the other side would gain water to 1.33 liters so that on both sides there were 15 grams per liter of ions on both sides. Same result, different thing traveling between the barrier.

Cells in your body are like the latter example, they are permeable to water but impermeable to ions. If the ion or dissolved solute concentration is the same outside and inside the cell then the solutions are isotonic and nothing happens. If the ion concentration outside the cell is much higher than inside the cell (hypertonic) the water will get sucked out of the cell to equalize the concentrations. That is bad. If the ion concentration outside the cell is much lower than inside the cell (hypotonic) then water will rush into the cell making it swell until potentially it pops and kills the cell. Which is really bad. This is why if you need hydration in a hospital they hook you up to a saline IV (that has salt at a concentration similar to your blood) rather than pure water.

Your cells naturally have a specific ion concentration within them that allows them to carry out the functions necessary for life. One of the critical regulatory parts of your body is to make sure that the liquid outside of your cells has the same concentration of ions as what is inside to avoid water either rushing into or out of cells. This is called ion homeostasis.

Okay with all that said what does it mean for you and what does it mean when you take in sodium in the form of salt. Basically it means your body needs to keep the sodium levels in your blood in equilibrium with that of your cells. If the amount of sodium you take in plus the amount of water you take in adds up to a solution that has a higher concentration of sodium than your blood your body will do what it can to pull water into your bloodstream to dilute the concentration so that it returns to equilibrium. When you drink more water your body will try to hold onto it to help lower the overall concentration of sodium. Since there is only so much physical room in your blood vessels the result is your blood pressure goes up…more water, same space, more pressure. Your bodyweight will also increase with the retained water.

If instead you take in more water and less sodium leading to a concentration that is overall lower than what is present in your blood your body will respond by flushing water out of your system to raise the concentration of ions within your blood back to equilibrium. This results in water leaving your blood and there being less volume of water in your vessels causing a drop in blood pressure. Your body flushing the water out will also drop your overall body weight.

Your body has a lot of water to work with, much of your bodyweight is water….so it is very good at keeping this equilibrium. Unless your consumption of sodium is extreme (either extremely low or extremely high) over a long period of time it is probably not something you really need to worry about. If you are concerned you can always have your sodium levels checked by a doctor. An easier way to have some idea of where you are at is the color of your urine. If you have a lot of sodium intake relative to water consumption your body is likely holding onto the water and your urine will appear much darker. If on the other hand you are drinking a lot of water and taking in very little sodium your body is likely trying to flush out the water as fast as it can and your urine will appear almost the color of water. A light straw colored urine is what to expect if you are close to balanced.

One thing to keep in mind is it is not how much sodium you take in it is how much sodium relative to how much water you take in that actually matters. What that means is high sodium foods (which have very little water in them) tend to raise your sodium levels while beverages that contain sodium (like soda or milk) tend to overall lower your sodium levels because they have a lot more water in them than they do sodium. Your blood and the contents of your cells are a lot “saltier” than a can of soda is so drinking soda is if anything going to lower the concentration of sodium in your blood. If you don’t believe that try drinking an IV saline solution.

Fad diets of the “Lose weight in just two weeks!” variety tend to “work” by having you do things that effectively drop your sodium concentration enough that your body responds by flushing water out of your system. They will do something like have you switch to a diet of fruit and veg or other low sodium foods while drinking lots and lots of water (to dilute sodium). The end result is that your body weight goes down rapidly as your body expels the water not only that you took in but also just the water retained naturally in your body. But you haven’t lost fat, you’ve just put yourself into a condition where your body is desperately trying to return the ion concentration in your blood into equilibrium which is not a particularly healthy state. You won’t be able to sustain this, eventually you will need to take in sodium and when you do your body will retain water and you will put the weight back on.

Honestly unless you have a heart condition or high blood pressure at a level where your doctor has specifically told you to monitor and limit your sodium intake you probably shouldn’t care about sodium in your diet. A normal diet is going to be close enough in sodium and water that your body is perfectly capable of sorting it out and you can just pay attention to the color of your urine. If it is too dark then drink more water. If it is too light then either drink less water or add more salt into your diet. Sodium and hydration are two sides of the same coin. Lots of health advice websites tout lowering sodium or drinking more water because they assume the average person looking to lose weight is consuming too much sodium relative to the amount of water they are taking in...but that isn't necessarily true.

MFP defaults to setting a sodium target for you to “hit” that turns red if you go over it. I think this is unfortunate that it is a default setting and you’d be better off turning that particular feature off. If during the course of your diet your weight suddenly goes up 3 pounds or suddenly drops three pounds in the course of a day most likely this is related to how much sodium/water you have taken in and not anything to do with fat. That sort of thing is safe to ignore, it has nothing to do with fat loss or your health...its normal.

Replies

• adair_j99
    adair_j99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get it! Thank you so much. Now I don't have to stress so much or feel guilty for teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, etc... just drink a little more water to balance and keep going!
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    So lately I've seen a lot of posts about sudden weight gain or sudden weight loss and what does it mean or something about whether or not I should care about sodium in my diet. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding or misinformation out there. This is an attempt to address what is actually going on in your body when you take in sodium (or other ions) which I think if understood will help answer any questions one might have about sodium intake. I realize this sort of explanation is definitely not for everyone, but for those who would like to know I thought I'd try to explain. I'm not going to try to cover everything sodium does, just the main thing I think people care about. If I misrepresent something in here please do provide a correction in the comments.

Why is Sodium important, what does it do to our body?

When people talk about sodium they are typically talking about sodium chloride or table salt, NaCl. In water NaCl dissociates into Na+ and Cl+, ions if you are a chemist…or electrolytes if you are a wellness blogger. Ions in solution are kept at a constant concentration by diffusion. If you had two 1 liter pools of water separated by a barrier that was permeable to ions like sodium but not water and you put 10 grams of salt in one side and 20 grams of salt in the other the sodium ions would migrate through the barrier from the high concentration to the low concentration until there was 15 grams per liter on both sides. The amount of water on either side would remain the same at 1 liter. If the barrier was instead permeable to water but not sodium what would happen is that water would transfer from the low sodium side to the high sodium side until there was the same amount of sodium per unit water on both sides thus coming to equilibrium just like in the first example. What this effectively would mean though is that one side would lose water down to 0.66 liters and the other side would gain water to 1.33 liters so that on both sides there were 15 grams per liter of ions on both sides. Same result, different thing traveling between the barrier.

Cells in your body are like the latter example, they are permeable to water but impermeable to ions. If the ion or dissolved solute concentration is the same outside and inside the cell then the solutions are isotonic and nothing happens. If the ion concentration outside the cell is much higher than inside the cell (hypertonic) the water will get sucked out of the cell to equalize the concentrations. That is bad. If the ion concentration outside the cell is much lower than inside the cell (hypotonic) then water will rush into the cell making it swell until potentially it pops and kills the cell. Which is really bad. This is why if you need hydration in a hospital they hook you up to a saline IV (that has salt at a concentration similar to your blood) rather than pure water.

Your cells naturally have a specific ion concentration within them that allows them to carry out the functions necessary for life. One of the critical regulatory parts of your body is to make sure that the liquid outside of your cells has the same concentration of ions as what is inside to avoid water either rushing into or out of cells. This is called ion homeostasis.

Okay with all that said what does it mean for you and what does it mean when you take in sodium in the form of salt. Basically it means your body needs to keep the sodium levels in your blood in equilibrium with that of your cells. If the amount of sodium you take in plus the amount of water you take in adds up to a solution that has a higher concentration of sodium than your blood your body will do what it can to pull water into your bloodstream to dilute the concentration so that it returns to equilibrium. When you drink more water your body will try to hold onto it to help lower the overall concentration of sodium. Since there is only so much physical room in your blood vessels the result is your blood pressure goes up…more water, same space, more pressure. Your bodyweight will also increase with the retained water.

If instead you take in more water and less sodium leading to a concentration that is overall lower than what is present in your blood your body will respond by flushing water out of your system to raise the concentration of ions within your blood back to equilibrium. This results in water leaving your blood and there being less volume of water in your vessels causing a drop in blood pressure. Your body flushing the water out will also drop your overall body weight.

Your body has a lot of water to work with, much of your bodyweight is water….so it is very good at keeping this equilibrium. Unless your consumption of sodium is extreme (either extremely low or extremely high) over a long period of time it is probably not something you really need to worry about. If you are concerned you can always have your sodium levels checked by a doctor. An easier way to have some idea of where you are at is the color of your urine. If you have a lot of sodium intake relative to water consumption your body is likely holding onto the water and your urine will appear much darker. If on the other hand you are drinking a lot of water and taking in very little sodium your body is likely trying to flush out the water as fast as it can and your urine will appear almost the color of water. A light straw colored urine is what to expect if you are close to balanced.

One thing to keep in mind is it is not how much sodium you take in it is how much sodium relative to how much water you take in that actually matters. What that means is high sodium foods (which have very little water in them) tend to raise your sodium levels while beverages that contain sodium (like soda or milk) tend to overall lower your sodium levels because they have a lot more water in them than they do sodium. Your blood and the contents of your cells are a lot “saltier” than a can of soda is so drinking soda is if anything going to lower the concentration of sodium in your blood. If you don’t believe that try drinking an IV saline solution.

Fad diets of the “Lose weight in just two weeks!” variety tend to “work” by having you do things that effectively drop your sodium concentration enough that your body responds by flushing water out of your system. They will do something like have you switch to a diet of fruit and veg or other low sodium foods while drinking lots and lots of water (to dilute sodium). The end result is that your body weight goes down rapidly as your body expels the water not only that you took in but also just the water retained naturally in your body. But you haven’t lost fat, you’ve just put yourself into a condition where your body is desperately trying to return the ion concentration in your blood into equilibrium which is not a particularly healthy state. You won’t be able to sustain this, eventually you will need to take in sodium and when you do your body will retain water and you will put the weight back on.

Honestly unless you have a heart condition or high blood pressure at a level where your doctor has specifically told you to monitor and limit your sodium intake you probably shouldn’t care about sodium in your diet. A normal diet is going to be close enough in sodium and water that your body is perfectly capable of sorting it out and you can just pay attention to the color of your urine. If it is too dark then drink more water. If it is too light then either drink less water or add more salt into your diet. Sodium and hydration are two sides of the same coin. Lots of health advice websites tout lowering sodium or drinking more water because they assume the average person looking to lose weight is consuming too much sodium relative to the amount of water they are taking in...but that isn't necessarily true.

MFP defaults to setting a sodium target for you to “hit” that turns red if you go over it. I think this is unfortunate that it is a default setting and you’d be better off turning that particular feature off. If during the course of your diet your weight suddenly goes up 3 pounds or suddenly drops three pounds in the course of a day most likely this is related to how much sodium/water you have taken in and not anything to do with fat. That sort of thing is safe to ignore, it has nothing to do with fat loss or your health...its normal.

Thank u!!
  • Akay250
    Akay250 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very Insightful Aaron! Can I be ur friend?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Akay250 wrote: »

Yeah if you want sure, can send me a request. Not sure how useful I'll be in that regard though I'm not currently using MFP other than to post now and again.
  • Akay250
    Akay250 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Akay250 wrote: »

Yeah if you want sure, can send me a request. Not sure how useful I'll be in that regard though I'm not currently using MFP other than to post now and again.

That's fine with me
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    That was pretty awesome!! Thanks for your knowledge on this.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've heard that there's a good aspartame post circulating around too... :love:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I may or may not have that one bookmarked for easy reference. ;)

[ETA:] Thanks, Aaron. Great, very informative post.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I seem to have never, to my knowledge, had huge issues with sodium based water retention... I sweat so much when I train that I guess my body needs the salt. I always put a lot on my vegetables etc. It is bready, doughy things that cause me the most issues in terms of retention... it only takes one meal out of my usual and wham, I swell up. Really irritating when I take my trips to stay with my mother... lots of meals out and even something as simple as having some calimari and chips will swell me up. Never found a way around that issue so that would be a useful topic to cover... I do not get this issue with other carb sources.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    So, This post was pretty awesome, i actually learned some things i didn't know and it has actually prompted a question... or a few haha

So lets say i have a day where my sodium is high, say 5000 mg, I know that i don't really have any issues with water retention staying within the default 2300, but i do retain once i start creeping up and up.. so.. back to 5000mg cause usually thats a typical number in sodium i hit when i over kill.. How many ml of water per mg of sodium would be good to drink to balance yourself? I am the type that retains water for at least 3-4 days after, if i drank this amount of water to restore balance, would that cut the amount of retention i experience down some, since i tend to pee pretty quickly after consuming liquids, Or would drinking enough water to balance out just cause issues?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I seem to have never, to my knowledge, had huge issues with sodium based water retention... I sweat so much when I train that I guess my body needs the salt. I always put a lot on my vegetables etc. It is bready, doughy things that cause me the most issues in terms of retention... it only takes one meal out of my usual and wham, I swell up. Really irritating when I take my trips to stay with my mother... lots of meals out and even something as simple as having some calimari and chips will swell me up. Never found a way around that issue so that would be a useful topic to cover... I do not get this issue with other carb sources.

Carbs get converted to glycogen as an energy storage molecule in muscle tissue and with glycogen comes a lot of water retention. Going from high activity where glycogen is depleted to a meal with carbs that replenish those stores could probably end up feeling like swell or bloat...but mostly localized to muscle tissue. If you are talking like a bloated feeling in stomach or gut not sure.

I mean if you are active you probably know what I mean about the glycogen already.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    So, This post was pretty awesome, i actually learned some things i didn't know and it has actually prompted a question... or a few haha

So lets say i have a day where my sodium is high, say 5000 mg, I know that i don't really have any issues with water retention staying within the default 2300, but i do retain once i start creeping up and up.. so.. back to 5000mg cause usually thats a typical number in sodium i hit when i over kill.. How many ml of water per mg of sodium would be good to drink to balance yourself? I am the type that retains water for at least 3-4 days after, if i drank this amount of water to restore balance, would that cut the amount of retention i experience down some, since i tend to pee pretty quickly after consuming liquids, Or would drinking enough water to balance out just cause issues?

Oh boy good question I don't know off the top of my head but I might look into that and try to respond. Off the top of my head I'd imagine the solution to the question is just to know the natural level of sodium that is considered balanced in your body and use that to figure out how much water.

The way it gets complicated is that water is required for lots of bodily functions not related to sodium like for digestion so not all the water you drink would be available for bringing the sodium to the desired concentration. So therefore whatever I'd calculate just off of the desired sodium concentration you'd probably need to drink more water than just that. How much more hard to say.

That said if you know how much water you need to drink when you have 2300mg sodium we should be able to calculate how much more water you'd need for 5000mg using that method. Just have to look up what the natural sodium concentration is in your body (ie weight of sodium per liter of water)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »

Carbs get converted to glycogen as an energy storage molecule in muscle tissue and with glycogen comes a lot of water retention. Going from high activity where glycogen is depleted to a meal with carbs that replenish those stores could probably end up feeling like swell or bloat...but mostly localized to muscle tissue. If you are talking like a bloated feeling in stomach or gut not sure.

I mean if you are active you probably know what I mean about the glycogen already.

No, calves tend to swell the most, and usually when in London, I do not train the few days I am there.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I've heard that there's a good aspartame post circulating around too... :love:

Literally what I was going to say.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options

Oh boy good question I don't know off the top of my head but I might look into that and try to respond. Off the top of my head I'd imagine the solution to the question is just to know the natural level of sodium that is considered balanced in your body and use that to figure out how much water.

The way it gets complicated is that water is required for lots of bodily functions not related to sodium like for digestion so not all the water you drink would be available for bringing the sodium to the desired concentration. So therefore whatever I'd calculate just off of the desired sodium concentration you'd probably need to drink more water than just that. How much more hard to say.

That said if you know how much water you need to drink when you have 2300mg sodium we should be able to calculate how much more water you'd need for 5000mg using that method. Just have to look up what the natural sodium concentration is in your body (ie weight of sodium per liter of water)

I buy those 503ml flavored waters and i drink roughly 3-4 of them a day, on a high sodium day i find that amount of water still gives me about 4 pounds of water retention, A couple weeks ago i had 3 days straight of 5000+ sodium days and gained 13.4 "pounds" which came off within 5-6 days of eating lower sodium again and drinking and sweating from some cardio.