Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    jposthumus wrote: »
    Neither funny nor helpful

It just means this is a necro thread and is over 4 years old so you won't get an answer
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I just spent 10 minutes reading this resurrected zombie thread. :D:D This is not the first time. I really should check the dates on these things.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    YUP, so did I, I really need to look at dates....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options

Actually it is since you resurrected a 4 year old thread. And yes, the amount of chocolate would NOT be toxic to a normal dog of that size. Nor would the rest of the quest bar ingredients.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Yeah, yeah, I get it; someone raised a zombie thread from the dead. It happens, people.

But for future readers: It is not so much the chocolate content you have to worry about on things like a Quest bar if your dog gets a hold of one since the amount of chocolate tends to be fairly low down on the ingredient list. Well, not unless s/he gets into and eat an entire box of them...then of course call a veterinarian and have them run the math.

It is whether or not it contains xylitol. That sugar alcohol is highly toxic to dogs and it takes very little to cause seizures due to hypoglycemia and hepatic (liver) necrosis that can result in liver failure. => https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/xylitol-danger/

Bottom line: If your dog eats something other than normal diet, call a veterinary doctor. There's a lot of things a lot of people don't think could be toxic/fatal that are. And it doesn't always take a lot to be toxic/fatal.

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    azdeha wrote: »
    Dogs can be amazingly resilient because of their scavenger ancestory. Mine once ate an entire pack of Ibuprofen and a box of Amoxicillin in the same sitting and despite throwing up and having her stomach pumped as a precaution, went on to eat part of my coffee table, numerous socks, the Twilight saga (that I didn't mind so much) half a razor and my makeup - which resulted in green sparkly poop for a week.

A small amount of chocolate won't harm your dog (depending on size obviously but i've had Westies that stole chocolate and were fine) but keep an eye on him.

Incidentally...I sound like I'm a terrible owner. She was a rescue with serious seperation anxiety. She doesn't eat anything she isn't meant to now...except the cat food that is.....

I'm sorry but that's one of the funniest things I've ever read.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I think you missed the point - quiksylver is not showing zombie pic because dead dog would be funny - but because this is a zombie thread posted back in 2014.

Nobody needs to be helpful now - OP's issue is long over.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

You were replying to a 4 year old thread. Do you really expect an answer from the OP?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    lebbyloses wrote: »
    I called. You guys are right, better safe than sorry. The emergency vet says erythritol is only toxic in large quantities. So now he's just a bad, food stealing dog who might have diarrheal tomorrow from the proteins, per the vet. I don't care about diarrhea. I just love my dog.

I was worrying because I once went to a talk where a vet said the amount of xylitol in a few pieces of gum could kill a small dog, and I have a small dog! But luckily erythritol is not xylitol.

I have called my vet many times for things like this that ended up not being a big deal, always better safe than sorry.

That being said the people mentioning how resilient dogs can be are correct also! My friends puggles are about 20 lbs and the have eaten pounds of chocolate (more than once), multiple toys, endless amounts of fermenting apples with cores and seeds included, and multiple packs of gum in one sitting. I mean the list goes on, these are just a few of the items I personally know about... and they live with a four year old who I’m sure feeds them things all the time. They are both more than ten years old and perfectly healthy, neither one has ever had to visit the vet for any of these things... so yep even small dogs can survive these things, but there are probably varying degrees of sturdiness so it’s better to err on the side of caution.

Another hilarious story of dogs eating something poisonous... when we got our first dog I told my husband not to feed him grapes, which was news to him because apparently they used to toss grapes for their childhood dog to eat as a treat all the time!

I’m glad your little nugget will be okay, there’s a good chance he won’t even have diarrhea! Give him a big kiss, we feel the same way about our two dogs :)