Is this a bad reason to want to lose weight?

Options
OK so I'm extremely obese at the moment. I never used to be. In fact I was always quite slim. Curvy but slim, but slowly the weight crept on. I know the health implications of being overweight as I am experiencing some of them at the moment, but what I really want is someone to cuddle and love me :cry:

I know its sad but I hate being that girl that gets ignored when I'm out with people. Men almost seem to look through me like I'm a sheet of glass sometimes and I know its not the correct thing to aim for, but I just want a hug......

feel a bit embarrassed about writing that now lol :blushing:

Replies

• pricetm83
    Options
    Dont be embarrassed. We've ALL felt that way. I know that glass feeling and its so painful. Virtual hug :)
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a bad reason at all. You need to feel good about yourself before you let someone else in, and losing the weight is the first step. Good luck!
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, everyone needs some lovin'!!
  • natersmama
    natersmama Posts: 157
    Options
    dont be embarrassed!! we all have reasons for wanting to lose weight. being attractive is probably one of everybody's reasons. but you should want to look good and feel good for yourself as well. good luck on your journey! =)
  • Thechiplover
    Options
    Dont be embarresed about it, I think anything that makes you want to loose weight has got to be good, If it gets you to a point in your life where your healthy, fit and get yerself a few cuddles then i say go for it
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    ANY reason is a valid one, since it's personally your weight loss motivator!

my reason? my boyfriend's ex wife was always significantly heavier than me....until she recently lost like 40 lbs and is now my size!! that's my main motivator, to lose enough weight to stay way slimmer than her. sounds bad/vain/jealous, but it's TRUE!
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    That is nothing to be embarassed about at all and its a great reason to loose weigh as well. Your very pretty! :)
  • IamJustSanie
    IamJustSanie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what your reasons are, the fact remains that u have taken the first step to better yourself.
  • tilaisabel
    Options
    Nothing to be embarrassed about! *hug*. We all have a natural desire to want to share our lives with someone special and a great motivation should always be that we should be feeling our best in order to give the best. That is how I look at it. If I am healthy and feeling well (which in turn will reflect physically on its own) I will be able to share more with that certain someone. I wish you lots of success and luck on your weight loss journey! :-)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You're so pretty! Those men don't know what they are missing! You go for it girl! Do what makes you happy, but it's their loss if they're not noticing you.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I think any reason is a good reason if it gets you motivated to get healthy and lots of hugs
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    you should do it for yourself, but if you find someone one in the meantime then its an extra plus!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Not a bad reason at all. It sucks to feel that way!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable! To be in a healthy relationship and have someone love you, first you need to love YOURSELF- and if you don't, at your current weight, then get healthy! This is the place to do it too.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a bad reason, it just should not be your PRIMARY reason. Your health and wellness should be the primary reasons (my opinion) but the hugs and attention are a great CLOSE 2nd!!!! Someone should really accept you for who you are- starting with you first. The love you have for yourself should drive your passion to improve yourself. Then others will see that in you and love those qualities too (and the way you look in your jeans will help too LOL)....stay focused- you can do it!!!
  • NitaCeeCee
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do feel better ((((virtual higs to you all))))

I just don't wanna think of myself as being shallow in any way but I suppose it must be a mental thing. Maybe I don't think of myself highly enough yet and maybe I'm giving off a negative vibe to guys.......?

I don't know but I just miss feeling 'attractive'
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    lots of men like bigger women, so my guess is that because you're uncomfortable with your weight (and therefore not confident), that is more the problem than the weight itself.

that's not to say you shouldn't lose weight, but just let it be known that plenty of men enjoy the "cushion" of heavy women. any decent man would want you to be you, not someone he wants you to be.

lose weight because it's good for you; don't lose weight to attract a man.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    You're not alone. I'm happily married now, but I could have written the same post 12 years ago. Good luck!
  • shellybarbal
    Options
    You want to be healthy and like what you see when you look in the mirror; and like most people, you want others to like what they see when they look at you. That's natural. The point is, you have more than one reason for wanting to lose weight and you are taking those steps to do so. Be proud of yourself for that. You will find that the more weight you lose, the more confident you will become. It will become more about you, and less about others (I know because I used to be 65lbs heavier than I am now).
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I started mine to find ME, the OLD ME that had guys hanging all over her and was never single.... so yeah its a good reason! lol