How much is too much?

Options
Cloudy2207
Cloudy2207 Posts: 18 Member
edited June 2018 in Motivation and Support
So since joining the MFP family I've lost about 11kg (24lbs) which I'm pretty proud of and very recently reached this goal of mine.

However, recently I've been setting my sights on losing a further 5kgs (+/-10lbs) and going from my current weight 57kgs(125kgs) to 53kgs(116lbs).As a 1.6m(5'3ft) female I'm sure this is pretty reasonable and healthy for my height, however I've had family already tell me to stop losing as I've already 'lost too much'
I'm unsure on whether to carry on and not lose momentum or to maybe maintain for a while and see how I feel. Does anyone have any advice on this? <3

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Too much what?

Your phone will cut off posts on this site if you use emoticons fro your phone...
  • Cloudy2207
    Options
    Yeah, sorry about that, I just saw that, thank you!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    116 would still be within normal BMI. However, since you are already normal weight, you may have better results as far as your appearance doing a recomp to add muscle rather than losing more weight.
  • AnnieGottaRun
    AnnieGottaRun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fellow 5'3" female here! I had originally set my goal weight to be 125. After I decided to go into maintenance, I ended up losing a little more than 5 lbs. At this point, I've decided that I'm going to let it ride and hover around 120 +/- a couple of pounds. I honestly don't want to go much lower because 1) I like how I look and how my clothes fit. 2) I want to be able to sustain this weight and feel good. When I don't get in enough calories, I've noticed that I can really feel it. (I have three kids, so I need to be able to keep up!)

In terms of your end goal weight, perhaps you can break your weight loss into smaller increments? Like 5 lbs? After a smaller loss, you could take stock and see: 1) how you're feeling at that point, 2) will it be maintainable long term for you

Good luck OP!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    116 would still be within normal BMI. However, since you are already normal weight, you may have better results as far as your appearance doing a recomp to add muscle rather than losing more weight.

This
  • AnnieGottaRun
    AnnieGottaRun Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I second this.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    OP, nice job on your weight loss so far. For your height 53kg is very likely a perfectly healthy weight, by BMI standards you would have to drop below 47kg to be clinically considered "underweight".

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon to experience the same reaction you're seeing from friends and family, which could be due to a number of different factors. Most likely, their perception of what constitutes "overweight" is skewed due to it being normalized in society and their concern is genuine, albeit misguided or misplaced. There's definitely a learning curve to navigating comments about weight loss from others, especially family members; over time you learn who you can and can't share the specifics of your progress and goals with and/or the way you discuss them.

Personally, I was always mild to moderately overweight as a child so it was a big shock to my mother when I lost ~30lbs at 17 and reached a healthy weight. It bothered her even more when I started getting into fitness more in college and got noticeably leaner, but at a similar weight, and again after college when I was living at home and she even accused me of taking steroids when I came home with a tub of protein powder. Like I suspect with your family, she was coming from a place of genuine concern but about a topic and lifestyle that was very foreign. I've since learned what and how I share details about my fitness/physique endeavors with my mom, simply phrasing things as "trimming fat" vs. "losing X more lbs" or taking "vitamins" vs. creatine makes a big difference in how she reacts.

Beyond that, many people around you will have varied opinions when you're noticeably changing your body. For instance, around the same time I separately mentioned to two friends that I felt I needed to shift from maintaining/lean bulking to cutting fat. One, whom I've never known to be overweight, responded in agreement, even going as far to say that I would start to "look too bulky" if I added too much more size (untrue, I was only about 180lbs at 6'1" at the time). The other, who has a history of being overweight, scoffed and stated defiantly if I cut down too far I'd lose all my gains and just "look scrawny again". At the end of the day, it's your body and (within the confines of maintaining a healthy weight) it's your decision what you ultimately say is "losing enough".

Best of luck!
  • Cloudy2207
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight I really appreciate it o:)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You might consider switching to maintenance for a couple months or so and re-evaluate your goals after maintaining your weight consistently over a period of time. Your family also may be easier to deal with after they've gotten used to seeing you at this weight for a while.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Cosigned. And for reference: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat