For those of you using a heart rate monitor....

Options
for those of you who use heart rate monitors - how do you determine how many calories you've burned? I used mine to do some circuit training and didnt think it was as exhausting as when i run, but my average heart rate was 144 for 26 minutes and then 126 for 9 minutes so i googled a calculator and it said 435 calories total which seems high to me. thoughts???

Replies

• Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That sounds very high to me. I dont know how to get the figure for you, my HRM gives me a total calorie burn. Sorry
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    for those of you who use heart rate monitors - how do you determine how many calories you've burned? I used mine to do some circuit training and didnt think it was as exhausting as when i run, but my average heart rate was 144 for 26 minutes and then 126 for 9 minutes so i googled a calculator and it said 435 calories total which seems high to me. thoughts???

Sounds like it could be right. My HRM tells me how many calories I've burned. I've done 30 minute workouts that burn about 300-400 calories so you could be right about burning 435. Though you should have worked up a pretty good sweat I think to burn that in that amount of time.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    way too high, especially for your weight. How tall are you? I am guessing your HRM doesn't tell you calories burned? I would say you burned closer to 300, or less, for 35 minutes of work at that HR.

I only burn more than 10 cals/min if my average HR is in the 160s
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Most HRMs are only good for sustained cardio workouts. Calorie burn for weight lifting and such will be significantly overestimated.
  • kew4zen
    kew4zen Posts: 3
    Options
    Does sound high. Are you sure you had your correct weight typed in when you did the calculation? My heart rate monitor calculates my calories burned. I didnt have to go to a website.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I agree it does sound a little high. I've not had to calculate mine though because my HRM does it for me. I have read somewhere that circuit training is meant to burn a lot of calories due to the constant shocking of the body when changing activities. Have you tried cmparing it to a circuit training exercise on MFP? see if it looks similar