Macronutrients

Options
Hi everyone, I was reviewing my calories & macro goals when I realized I need help! How can I figure out what my macronutrients numbers should be? My current goals are to lose weight, build muscle to get toned. Also because I only have one kidney I must not eat too much protein or it will cause my kidney to be overworked.
Any advice would greatly be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Champd36
    Champd36 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The building muscle and losing weight part is easy its usually 50% carbs 30% fat and 20% protein. May want to check with your dr to see if that's ok...
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Probably eating moderate to high levels of carbs since carbs are muscle sparing and you can't consume much protein. Not sure how much, though. If you could get a referral to a RD, that might be a good option.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Champd36 wrote: »
    The building muscle and losing weight part is easy its usually 50% carbs 30% fat and 20% protein. May want to check with your dr to see if that's ok...

Except you can’t really do both at the same time

OP, macros are a personal preference for the most part. Aim to get enough protein (minimum .8 grams per pound of lean mass or goal weight) and fat (minimum .35 grams per pound of weight), and let carbs fall where they may.
  • socalshorty21
    socalshorty21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I really do appreciate you taking some of your time to share some great advice with me. Thanks!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I really do appreciate you taking some of your time to share some great advice with me. Thanks!

With the one kidney it is great you plan to not over do the protein but your doctor can track that for you I expect. Best of success.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The default macros are fine for most people starting out. As you gain experience, you may or may not want to change them depending on how satisfying or not a particular macro split is for you. Don't stress the details. If at some point you feel like you need to change your macros you'll know it (for example, if you find from experience that more satisfied with higher fat or higher carb or higher protein).

I've been dieting for nearly 6 years and have lost a lot of weight in the process, and the default macros are still on point for me in terms of satiety.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

^I had good success with the setup described here, but your mileage may vary. Play around and see what you like.