Cycling as Cross-Training for Ext Tendonitis/Stress Fracture

Options
enickma1221
enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I've either managed to accomplish extensor tendonitis or a stress fracture. Top of foot, just above toes. Does anyone happen to know if clipped-in cycling on a flat bike path is an okay cross-training option during recovery? Taking weeks for the pain to go away, and I want to get moving again.

Replies

• edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'd have thought that any cycling would be putting pressure on the foot, you have pressure on both the down stroke and the up pull of each rotation. Clipped in especially would have pressure on the up pull, regardless of the gradient. Swimming puts minimal pressure on the feet, and using a pull buoy reduces foot movement even more.
  • enickma1221
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks. I'd love to be swimming, but I don't have my own pool, and I avoid public pools. As far as cycling, pressure during rotation is my concern too. The pain happens when my toes bend upward towards foot, as when walking on an incline. When I'm clipped-in to the bike, my toes are usually pointed straight out and slightly downward, and the pedals are of course clipped right under ball of foot. Was hoping that would avoid aggravating the injury. I get my bike back from the shop today. May just jump on and see what happens. I've also seen some interesting wrap techniques with KT tape I might try.
  • edmudman
    edmudman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    There's always open water swimming!
    You could always try moving the position of the cleat on the shoe as a temporary fix, to a position that puts less pressure on the affected area, then move it back when you're healed.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you haven't seen a doctor and/or physical therapist about this. They (the PT especially) would be able to best assess what the best form of aerobic exercise would be as well as aid in quickening your recovery.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have a fracture on the top of my foot and I can bike unclipped just fine. But I don't think the pressure from clipped would be good.
  • enickma1221
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Is there any reason you haven't seen a doctor and/or physical therapist about this. They (the PT especially) would be able to best assess what the best form of aerobic exercise would be as well as aid in quickening your recovery.

It's circumstantial. I've got one of those jobs where I'm nearly constantly traveling somewhere. My best chance to actually see my Dr. is a Sat. appointment, and they didn't have any open. It's not severe pain, and I'm pretty sure the solution is gonna be taking it easy on the extensors. If it gets worse or goes more than another week or so I'll have to make an appt happen.
  • enickma1221
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Went out for a few short miles on the bike and everything went fine. I left my middle straps very loose, and tried to keep my toes straight. Only time I felt any pain was when I wasnt paying attention, and let my toes flex up on a downstroke. I think using a wrap will help with that. So far so good!
  • enickma1221
    Options
    FWIW, just tried this. Seems legit. Easier to walk now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5ztNxwgYY