28 lbs in 7 weeks

Hello, I was wondering, what can cause someone to gain 28 lbs in 7 weeks? I am currently on a 1200 calorie a day diet and even though I may go slightly over sometimes (by around 150 cal, and not often) between the 5th (or 12th, idk) of April and the 26th of May, my weight shot up from 251 lbs to 279 lbs. 2 days later, my weight decreased from 279 to 275, then from 275 to 273 a couple of days later. I am REALLY confused right now, as I can still do everything I could when I was 251 lbs which I couldn't at 279, heck since the day after the 275 weigh-in, I have been walking for 40 minutes per day, and as of yesterday I have doubled that. I don't feel as big as I did when I was 273 lbs, that's for sure.

Replies

• MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    chapiano wrote: »
    I would say your weighing/logging of food may not be accruate

Yep. Eating more than you log.
  • tswkelbris
    tswkelbris Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2018
    well, I have an Optislim shake in the morning, and a ~300 calorie wrap at lunch, home-made. Dinner varies, just how much over 1200 would I need to eat on a daily basis to gain 3 lbs per week?
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Quite alot but depends on your height, weight activity levels etc. Do you weigh everything you eat and drink?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    As a male you should be dropping a huge amount of weight as theminimum a man should eat is 1500. Something must be really off in you logging (do you use a food scale) or you have a medical condition.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    See your doctor. None of the things that could cause that much gain that quickly are good, and the sooner you get help, the better. Sudden weight gain is an urgent symptom. Take care of yourself.

If they find nothing, then yep, it is your logging of "dinner varies." Or what you are unconsciously putting in your mouth (I am the queen of that!).

Please update us after you see your doctor.
  • tswkelbris
    I would say medical condition then, see, I started in March of last year on 3 shakes a day and was losing A LOT of weight, to the point where I had to jump to stage 2 (via a phone call from my doctor) because of the rate, once I switched from stage 1 to 2, the rate loss dropped slightly, but was still pretty quick. The same at the start of stage 3, it started to slow down but was going strong, then suddenly all weight loss stopped when I hit the 247 lbs mark. It then hovered between 247 and 251 lbs, then out of nowhere it shot up 28 lbs even though I don't feel 28 lbs heavier, I can still fit into my 3XL pants and shirts just fine (3XL Australian).

P.S. stage 2 is a shake at morning and lunch, stage 3 is a shake in the morning. Stage 4 is no shakes and 1500 calories per day.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    tswkelbris wrote: »
    Hello, I was wondering, what can cause someone to gain 28 lbs in 7 weeks? I am currently on a 1200 calorie a day diet and even though I may go slightly over sometimes (by around 150 cal, and not often) between the 5th (or 12th, idk) of April and the 26th of May, my weight shot up from 251 lbs to 279 lbs. 2 days later, my weight decreased from 279 to 275, then from 275 to 273 a couple of days later. I am REALLY confused right now, as I can still do everything I could when I was 251 lbs which I couldn't at 279, heck since the day after the 275 weigh-in, I have been walking for 40 minutes per day, and as of yesterday I have doubled that. I don't feel as big as I did when I was 273 lbs, that's for sure.

I'm guessing you haven't been logging foods on here as you only joined 4 days ago (unless you had a different account) according to your profile. So have you actually been logging the food you eat or estimating?
  • tswkelbris
    will update you all, seeing my doctor this Thursday. And yeah, I haven't been logging here until 4 days ago, but I know what I have (I don't make my own wraps, my grandmother does and I watch her, the wrap has 240 calories, she puts a bit of chopped lettuce, tomato, capsicum, onion, a small piece of chicken meat and 1/2 a slice of cheese. When I say it varies, most nights I have a Weight Watchers meal, which is around the 330 mark. On Tuesdays I would have a kebab with my friends, lettuce, tomato, onion, chicken, no cheese and no sauce.
  • tswkelbris
    just out of curiosity, how many calories over the 1200 mark would i need to eat daily to gain 28 lbs? I am 25, male, am 173cm tall and prior to the sudden increase, weighed 251 lbs (or 114kg).
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    With your statistics, again depending on your activity levels your BMR is 2555 calories per day. So to gain 4 pounds a week it's 500 extra calories per day per pound which totals 4555 a day. So an extra 3355 calories
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2018
    tswkelbris wrote: »
    just out of curiosity, how many calories over the 1200 mark would i need to eat daily to gain 28 lbs? I am 25, male, am 173cm tall and prior to the sudden increase, weighed 251 lbs (or 114kg).

It depends. In the beginning, you probably lost a lot of water weight.. Going from normal eating to a pretty low carb starvation diet (which 1200 calories is for a male), can lead to a good amount of weight loss... it's not uncommon for males to lose 10 to 20 lbs in a short period of time. So if you added higher calories and more carbs, a lot of that weight would come back.

I'd personally get off the plan you are on because it's not good and it's not going to teach you how to eat really.
  • tswkelbris
    edited June 2018
    Scales are fine, 3 sets give similar results. Before i started i was 367 lbs. In 6 months I was down to around the 251 mark where it stayed until now
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Ah, ok then. I'd echo above and say have a talk with your doctor then. Good luck! :smile:
  • raraCoco
    raraCoco Posts: 27 Member
    If you aren't logging food incorrectly then a food intolerance can cause weight gain and weight fluctuations.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I'd check with your Dr. That's an alarming gain.
  • cosmobella
    cosmobella Posts: 54 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Either inaccurate logging or a medical issue, especially with the rate you gained

Came here to say this. You need to see your doctor. Fluid retention from issues like heart failure or kidney failure can cause things like this. Sometimes without any symptoms. Rule out a medical issue then revisit your food log.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    raraCoco wrote: »
    If you aren't logging food incorrectly then a food intolerance can cause weight gain and weight fluctuations.

Or consuming too much sodium in processed foods or restaurants. Fluid retention.

Plus starving yourself can lead to your body's producing excess cortisol which then causes weight gain and weight fluctuations.