Keto and sat fat

Options
ZodFit
ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
Is it possible to do Keto with low daily saturated fat intake?

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ZodFit wrote: »

yes if you get in enough unsaturated fats or healthy fats like nuts,seeds,avocado EVOL(extra virgin olive oil),fish,etc, not everyone that does keto eats bacon,butter and high saturated foods
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You can, but it isn't really recommended. Saturated and monounsaturated fats are usually the main fats used.

Dr Phinney gets into fats at around 17 minutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k0NE8WEH44A

so what happens if he has a health issue where he has to watch saturated fats? not saying its the issue but then what?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You can, but it isn't really recommended. Saturated and monounsaturated fats are usually the main fats used.

so what happens if he has a health issue where he has to watch saturated fats? not saying its the issue but then what?

Then you would have to go with more of a low carb higher protein approach. Or try to get most fats from plants. Or abandon ketosis altogether. It isn't for everyone.
  • ZodFit
    Options

yes if you get in enough unsaturated fats or healthy fats like nuts,seeds,avocado EVOL(extra virgin olive oil),fish,etc, not everyone that does keto eats bacon,butter and high saturated foods

Awesome thanks.

I want to try it again without dairy, bacon, etc.

Seeds? Such as sunflower seeds?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2018
    Options

Awesome thanks.

I want to try it again without dairy, bacon, etc.

Seeds? Such as sunflower seeds?

I would think so since they do have fat. but Im sure there are other seeds that have higher fat content. just do some research and see what ones are higher in fat. but they are going to be higher in calories and you will have to see the carb count in them as well. some will be higher carbs than others. sunflower seeds if toasted has 14-16g of fat per ounce. chia,flax and hemp may be higher and can be added to many things. pumpkin seeds,etc. you can also try lower fat dairy if you have no issues with dairy to help with additional fat but without going full fat. The second link I posted up there tells about keto diet with saturated fats vs a keto diet without saturated fats.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

Then you would have to go with more of a low carb higher protein approach. Or try to get most fats from plants. Or abandon ketosis altogether. It isn't for everyone.

no ketosis isnt for everyone as I cant do it because of the high fat content. but I think if someone wants to try it with lower satured fat amounts and can do it then more power to them. its worth a try anyway and doubt it will hurt anything
  • nvmomketo
    Options

no ketosis isnt for everyone as I cant do it because of the high fat content. but I think if someone wants to try it with lower satured fat amounts and can do it then more power to them. its worth a try anyway and doubt it will hurt anything

They might do fine on it. You are right. It's just tougher not to overdo the omega 6s. It can be done though.
  • ZodFit
    Options

They might do fine on it. You are right. It's just tougher not to overdo the omega 6s. It can be done though.

I’ll continue to research. Thanks I actually need to figure out Omega-6s are.
  • meboudreaux
    meboudreaux Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Omega-6 foods are foods that are "seed" foods and their oils. Flax, hempseed, grapeseed, pumpkin seed, sunflower; etc.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Omega-6 foods are foods that are "seed" foods and their oils. Flax, hempseed, grapeseed, pumpkin seed, sunflower; etc.

flaxseed/ flaxseed oil.hemp and chia also have omega 3s too though.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Omega 6 is also an essential fatty acid, so I wouldn't go overboard in trying to eliminate it from your diet. You can check the omega 6/omega 3 balance in various plant fats, but I'm under the impression that what accounted for them getting out of balance in most modern diets was the shift from eating meat, eggs, and dairy from pastured animals to eating meat, eggs, and dairy from mainly grain-fed animals.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I’ll continue to research. Thanks I actually need to figure out Omega-6s are.
    Non-tropical vegetable oils tend to be higher in omega 6's, such as sunflower, soy, corn, and cottonseed oil. Canola and safflower is a bit lower but higher than animal fats and some other seeds. Tropical vegetable oils like coconut are often low in omega 6.

This has some good info on fat types and a nice chart showing the fat types found in some oils and foods:
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/optimize-omega-6-omega-3-ratio#section4
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    This is an honest question... I know the idea that saturated fat is the root of everything bad has been busted. But just because saturated fat isn't dangerous doesn't mean there is no need to limit it at all. That's why there is still a suggested upper limit, isn't it? Because the medical community is still trying to nail down if there is an issue with sat fat at higher levels?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This is an honest question... I know the idea that saturated fat is the root of everything bad has been busted. But just because saturated fat isn't dangerous doesn't mean there is no need to limit it at all. That's why there is still a suggested upper limit, isn't it? Because the medical community is still trying to nail down if there is an issue with sat fat at higher levels?

Its suggested to limit because its also associated with fried fats and many unhealthy sources of calories. You can kind of think of it like sugar... Too much and it can detract from healthy sources of fats like omega 3s.

And while its not nutritionally essential to life, much like carbs, your body will produce its own if you deprive your body from it.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thanks @psuLemon
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    That's one theory behind a ketogenic diet: saturated fats are basically the main fat you body uses when running off its own reserves. The theory goes, if we were designed to store saturated fats, then saturated fats may not be the problem they were once thought to be.

I don't think Canada has an upper saturated fat guideline anymore... I think the dietitians of Canada may give a recommendation but I can't find anything meaningful behind it. I think they are still suspicious of sat fats for reason mentioned by psuLemon. Plus I think high fats and high refined carbs is a dietary recipes for weight gain: easy to store fats with elevated insulin. It's in that tasty form that people may eat too much of them, and too many calories equals weight gain.

There may still be some old fears about high cholesterol foods, which saturated fatty foods often are, still associated with them.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the 2nd link above regarding the level of ketosis when manipulating saturated fats versus polyunsaturated. Very interesting to me. Appreciate it @CharlieBeansmomTracey.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Thank you for posting the 2nd link above regarding the level of ketosis when manipulating saturated fats versus polyunsaturated. Very interesting to me. Appreciate it @CharlieBeansmomTracey.

no problem and you are welcome