Vegetarian Bodybuilder

Options
Anyone out there vegetarian bodybuilder? I have to make some dietary changes. Fish and tofu/tempeh are allowed consistently and chicken/turkey, but only in moderation. Anyone have any diet plans they follow as a bodybuilder? I am a figure competitor. Thanks in advance for any help/direction?

Amber

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    That’s not a vegetarian diet if there’s meat in it.....
    But just eat fish and dairy then? Easy.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not a body builder but I do weightlifitng and cycling and often find it difficult to meet my protein goals in new and interesting ways so I'd be interested to see the responses here as well. However, I imagine if some meat is allowed it should be at least a bit easier to do.

Are you able to eat gluten? If so, you could try seitan. I find it's a better source of protein than Tofu/Tempeh (usually about 80% of calories from protein), and it tastes better and has a better texture. It's sometimes hard to find and a bit expensive though.
    My other go-to are protein smoothies. I'm not vegan so I usually replace breakfast with a smoothie made with whey protein powder, fruits, milk and a type of yogurt called Skyr, which is high in protein. No idea if you have it where you are, but there are probably similar high-protein yoghurt products.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    vegetarians dont eat meat... that includes fish, turkey, and chicken. Those animals are also alive, sentient and capable of feeling pain, etc.

If you're a figure competitor you should be working with a coach that has experience prepping girls with your specific dietary needs and should refer to them for macros/meal plans.

Here at MFP most people will tell you to eat the foods you love and enjoy in the portions that fit your specific calories/macro goals; so if you need something more in-depth as a competitor it's probably best to seek out people in that specific field who can help you.