Terrified to Weigh Myself, Irrational?

Options
Hello MFP Fam,

I wanted to start by saying that I at one time suffered from an eating disorder, which might be the leading cause of my fear. I am having a very hard time getting back on the scale. I can see the physical changes that have come about, i.e. better fitting jeans, old shirts are loose, etc...but despite it all, I am fearful.
Does anyone else have this issue? I love everything about what MFP has done for me thus far. I feel better knowing that my tiny indulgences (and when I mean tiny...I mean that second or third glass of wine! ) aren’t going to completely ruin my progress.

Do you find it okay to not weigh in? As long as you stay true to you? Or do you think the weigh in is a part of the experience?

Thanks for being an amazing community❤️
-Mac

Replies

• zombikitten
    zombikitten Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I sort of have this problem, only i compulsively weigh myself daily only to grow very frustrated and discouraged with the results. I wish I just wouldn't weigh myself for a couple weeks (while eating clean and exercising of course).
    I think the experience is what is true to you. For example, if you are feeling the anxiety and fear in weighing yourself, why subject yourself to that daily? I have made it 3 days without weighing myself and I feel much more at peace with my body, my eating habits, and the journey in general.
    Love yourself and listen to your body!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Knowing that planned indulgences won’t ruin your progress is a breakthrough. Good on ya’. Knowing that your scale weight, with the typical fluctuations, is just another datapoint is similarly a breakthrough. There’s nothing special about scale weight on any given day. Just another datapoint. It’s great that you stay true to you, with or without stepping on the scale. Maybe over time you will adopt a more pragmatic perspective on the scale. Either way, best to you!
  • mackkierae
    mackkierae Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I sort of have this problem, only i compulsively weigh myself daily only to grow very frustrated and discouraged with the results. I wish I just wouldn't weigh myself for a couple weeks (while eating clean and exercising of course).
    I think the experience is what is true to you. For example, if you are feeling the anxiety and fear in weighing yourself, why subject yourself to that daily? I have made it 3 days without weighing myself and I feel much more at peace with my body, my eating habits, and the journey in general.
    Love yourself and listen to your body!

This!!! You’re so right. Thank you.
    And congrats on this journey. Congrats on 3 days without weighting yourself. You’re a rockstar, and I can’t wait to see how far you come! Thanks again for the kindness❤️

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't think the weigh-in is a required element. As long as you are seeing other signs of progress (better fitting clothes, etc.) you should be fine.
  • mackkierae
    Options
    rj0150684 wrote: »
    I find daily weigh-ins really useful because I can see new lows and know I’m making progress. If I only weighed once a week, I might hit on a low one week, a high the next and maybe a really high the week after and think I made no progress, when in reality I’m still losing weight (fat), I just picked the wrong times to see it.

Yes to this (as well)! You’re so right and I think for individuals like yourself, this would be super constructive and work well for you. For a while I tried keto (it did not work for my body...it only caused me to gain weight), which requires a lot of protein and very minimal carbs. In part of doing keto, I ate a lot of deli meats and cheeses to get a quick fix in the middle of the day. I weighed everyday, especially if I was in ketosis at the time. What unfortunately came about from the deli meat was the fluctuation of water weight. That left me discouraged and unhappy with my diet. I realized that I needed to get a handle on my sodium and cut the keto diet out of my lifestyle. How do you deal with a sodium load into the next day? Do you see a weight fluctuation?

Thanks again for your input! ❤️
  • mackkierae
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Knowing that planned indulgences won’t ruin your progress is a breakthrough. Good on ya’. Knowing that your scale weight, with the typical fluctuations, is just another datapoint is similarly a breakthrough. There’s nothing special about scale weight on any given day. Just another datapoint. It’s great that you stay true to you, with or without stepping on the scale. Maybe over time you will adopt a more pragmatic perspective on the scale. Either way, best to you!

I feel like a “virtual hug” will have to suffice for now. Thank you so much for this beautiful encouragement. I hope to one day overcome these fears, as I seemingly can pin-point where they stem from, how they’ve manifested and where I am in the face of them now.
    And beat to you! We are all in this together❤️
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you need never weigh yourself if you find it anxiety-producing. Another way to measure progress is to measure your bust, waist, hips and thighs. Record those numbers, then maybe in a week or two measure those places again. Perhaps inches aren't as scary as pounds!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    mackkierae wrote: »
    Hello MFP Fam,

I wanted to start by saying that I at one time suffered from an eating disorder, which might be the leading cause of my fear. I am having a very hard time getting back on the scale. I can see the physical changes that have come about, i.e. better fitting jeans, old shirts are loose, etc...but despite it all, I am fearful.
    Does anyone else have this issue? I love everything about what MFP has done for me thus far. I feel better knowing that my tiny indulgences (and when I mean tiny...I mean that second or third glass of wine! ) aren’t going to completely ruin my progress.

Do you find it okay to not weigh in? As long as you stay true to you? Or do you think the weigh in is a part of the experience?

-Mac

How often or if you choose to measure your progress with the scale is up to you. The scale is one way to measure progress.
    I weigh once a week not daily and that is enough information for me. I view my scale weight as information not a judgement of me as a person.

The more frequently you weigh the more data you have. It can help you understand fluctuations and what is normal for you. If you weigh very infrequently you might hit a high day or low day and the data could be misinterpreted. If you choose to weigh don't judge your progress on one weigh in but the change over time and the non-scale progress.

Do what works for you.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Weighing helps but doesn't give a full picture. I prefer to use the scales once or twice a month but if I've gone off track with logging diet and excersise then I fear weigh in.
    Solution, I have fitbit scales that automatically sync to my computer, so if I don't want to know what the numbers say I don't look... Until I get back on track.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    No need to weigh yourself if you'd rather not.
  • mackkierae
    Options
    Honestly, you need never weigh yourself if you find it anxiety-producing. Another way to measure progress is to measure your bust, waist, hips and thighs. Record those numbers, then maybe in a week or two measure those places again. Perhaps inches aren't as scary as pounds!

I totally forgot about this method!! Thank you! I actually did start this when I started gaining weight from the keto diet. I was so frustrated with myself and the scale that I took some measurements...maybe it’s time to revisit my tape measure! Thank you!! And best of luck ❤️
  • mackkierae
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Hello MFP Fam,

-Mac

How often or if you choose to measure your progress with the scale is up to you. The scale is one way to measure progress.
    I weigh once a week not daily and that is enough information for me. I view my scale weight as information not a judgement of me as a person.

The more frequently you weigh the more data you have. It can help you understand fluctuations and what is normal for you. If you weigh very infrequently you might hit a high day or low day and the data could be misinterpreted. If you choose to weigh don't judge your progress on one weigh in but the change over time and the non-scale progress.

Do what works for you.

Thank you for you kindness and encouragement. I think it will take some time to get me back on the scale, but you are right - I shouldn’t judge myself.

Thank you and best of luck ❤️
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP Fam,

-Mac

Hey there!

Your fears are reasonable considering how the industry and "diet experts" and such tend to focus so much on the numbers. The question is: Why is the scale number so import to you that you're fearful?

There's nothing that says you have to weigh in anytime. The scale is just a measure of your mass against gravity put on a numerical scale. Go to the moon and you'll weight 1/5 the number you see on Earth. Easy "Weight Loss".

Numerical Goal setting is really the major drawback of MFP, as Weight Loss isn't the same as Fat Loss. Body composition is what's more important in the long run and for that it could be ideal to find a range within which you feel comfortable.

You've already come a long way in conquering your ED, and you've acknowledged seeing the changes in your physical stature. The scale number is really meaningless for you at this point.

Go on ahead and never "check in" again! You're already on a great path for YOU!" :)<3
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You don't need to weigh yourself. In fact, I'm seeing "ditch the scale" more often these days in fitness blogs. I find taking measurements and photos provide a better picture of progress.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Maybe you’d like this https://www.myshapa.com/
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Egger29 wrote: »
    Hello MFP Fam,

-Mac

Hey there!

Your fears are reasonable considering how the industry and "diet experts" and such tend to focus so much on the numbers. The question is: Why is the scale number so import to you that you're fearful?

There's nothing that says you have to weigh in anytime. The scale is just a measure of your mass against gravity put on a numerical scale. Go to the moon and you'll weight 1/5 the number you see on Earth. Easy "Weight Loss".

Numerical Goal setting is really the major drawback of MFP, as Weight Loss isn't the same as Fat Loss. Body composition is what's more important in the long run and for that it could be ideal to find a range within which you feel comfortable.

You've already come a long way in conquering your ED, and you've acknowledged seeing the changes in your physical stature. The scale number is really meaningless for you at this point.

Go on ahead and never "check in" again! You're already on a great path for YOU!" :)<3

This is a great post. Especially this: "Numerical Goal setting is really the major drawback of MFP, as Weight Loss isn't the same as Fat Loss."

This is a point where semantics actually matter. Nothing derails a motivated person more than a conflation of the terms "weight loss" and "fat loss". I would venture to say that 99.9% of posters and lurkers on MFP mean "fat loss" when they say or think "weight loss".

Trying to measure fat loss with a scale in the short to medium term can be extraordinarily misleading.

As I've learned more and more about how all this works, I've relied less and less on the scale and more on measurements. The scale is still a tool, but an inefficient one. I just use for trends over time - its best use.
  • TheOnyxStar
    TheOnyxStar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know there's a lot of advice here already but I thought I'd let you know my thoughts too :).

I used to weigh in when I was using Weight Watchers. My psyche did not like that.
    I've had a lot of stress in my life lately which has caused not good choices in food/overeating. My mom hid the scale from me because those 3 numbers were cause some not very nice voices in my head.

I decided that my success wasn't going to be tied to the scale, but how I felt and how my clothes fit.
    It sucks to me that everything must be number based though (i.e. sizes). The numbers are what kill me.

I weighed myself yesterday with my trainer and did some measurements, these are my starting points. I'll be doing measurements once a month (perhaps every 2 months).

I don't really have a goal now, didn't have a solid one to begin with but here we are.

It's your journey, do what you want. I used only check my weight at the doctor (now I just close my eyes :tongue:
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh once a week. It keeps me on track. None of my clothes are so tight that I can tell if I have gained weight. Once a week does not bother me, but once a day makes me wacky.