English bite size dishes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
My kids are having Heritage day at school and they both picked England, and I'm supposed to make kid-friendly English dishes - something that's easy to divide up, if possible (so my shepherd's pie is out, lol).

So far I have cucumber sandwiches, I made bakewell tarts as a test run and they were delicious, but my son doesn't like them so he doesn't want me to make those again.. so I'm not sure. Would chocolate chip mini scones be English enough? There are 60 kids but I guess a lot of people are bringing food so making 30ish servings would be plenty... Oh and he doesn't like millionaire shortbread either (if that's even English).

Any suggestions?

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My kids are having Heritage day at school and they both picked England, and I'm supposed to make kid-friendly English dishes - something that's easy to divide up, if possible (so my shepherd's pie is out, lol).

So far I have cucumber sandwiches, I made bakewell tarts as a test run and they were delicious, but my son doesn't like them so he doesn't want me to make those again.. so I'm not sure. Would chocolate chip mini scones be English enough? There are 60 kids but I guess a lot of people are bringing food so making 30ish servings would be plenty... Oh and he doesn't like millionaire shortbread either (if that's even English).

Any suggestions?

Reactively, I went with sausage rolls but when I'd mentioned it to my sister, her reaction is, that sausage rolls are too meat dense for American children's palates, for most American children we've been exposed to, find the flakey buttery pastry filled with meat, gross, for lack of a better term. For a British-born and British-nurtured child, the access and the frequency of having sausage rolls is as natural as pizzas are to American children.

Starting with something you know the children will eat, is best, I agree. We'd tried out the scones here and it works for American children, even the vegan versions of the scones. And if you'll opt for some plain scones, just take some clotted cream or ready whip with some fresh strawberries will do it.

You may consider opting to serve it with iced tea - the American South varieties.

ETA: Recommending an open-face scone with a decent piping of ready whip (or a vanilla cream cheese buttercream) with sliced strawberries which will appeal to the American child, who is familiar with the strawberry shortcake. To the children it'll have the same register as a cupcake
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Any suggestions?

Reactively, I went with sausage rolls but when I'd mentioned it to my sister, her reaction is, that sausage rolls are too meat dense for American children's palates, for most American children we've been exposed to, find the flakey buttery pastry filled with meat, gross, for lack of a better term. For a British-born and British-nurtured child, the access and the frequency of having sausage rolls is as natural as pizzas are to American children.

Starting with something you know the children will eat, is best, I agree. We'd tried out the scones here and it works for American children, even the vegan versions of the scones. And if you'll opt for some plain scones, just take some clotted cream or ready whip with some fresh strawberries will do it.

You may consider opting to serve it with iced tea - the American South varieties.

I love the sausage rolls at a local British food truck (USA, but quite authentic) and they recently posted on facebook that these would be "great for kids" and I was automatically thinking "Lord no, not the kids I know, they would find it heavy and sickening". So I really think your sister's probably correct...but now I know why the (British) food truck owner suggested that!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    I'd say some sort of British cracker with a bit of Stilton cheese, but I feel like that would be expensive to fill up the trash because probably most kids wouldn't want to eat it!

• k8eekins
    Options

Any suggestions?

I love the sausage rolls at a local British food truck (USA, but quite authentic) and they recently posted on facebook that these would be "great for kids" and I was automatically thinking "Lord no, not the kids I know, they would find it heavy and sickening". So I really think your sister's probably correct...but now I know why the (British) food truck owner suggested that!

We'd been approached by an English gent who is married to a wonderful American woman he'd met in Australia to consider opening an authentic British family (less the Irish pub-esque) venue, so we've been on the mend for some time with what'll work for the American-British and the general American palate, when it comes to British (English) bites. Inasmuch as many of us would love the American public to favour all that we love with what we know to be genuine, knowing the target market's preferences age-range wise is key or we'll risk having to encounter much disappointment (Eg cracklings). Where we are geographically, is pretty highly populated with the mixed couples; One is a Brit straight out of the UK, the other is San Diego born and bred. Many of the Brits here, miss home and miss home food but don't want to go home, for no one gets it quite right. Popovers is a no-brainer to serve in the UK, only here , it'll be a problem and is destined for bad reviews lol
  • seltzermint555
    edited June 2018
    Options

Any suggestions?

We'd been approached by an English gent who is married to a wonderful American woman he'd met in Australia to consider opening an authentic British family (less the Irish pub-esque) venue, so we've been on the mend for some time with what'll work for the American-British and the general American palate, when it comes to British (English) bites. Inasmuch as many of us would love the American public to favour all that we love with what we know to be genuine, knowing the target market's preferences age-range wise is key or we'll risk having to encounter much disappointment (Eg cracklings). Where we are geographically, is pretty highly populated with the mixed couples; One is a Brit straight out of the UK, the other is San Diego born and bred. Many of the Brits here, miss home and miss home food but don't want to go home, for no one gets it quite right. Popovers is a no-brainer to serve in the UK, only here , it'll be a problem and is destined for bad reviews lol

I find that so interesting! The one near me is very simple & good, but I admit the first time I tried a Stilton cole slaw I wasn't sure what to think. I adore it now, and have loved everything else I have tried. They're quite bold to have a food truck and a food court mall store "A bit of Britain in the Ozarks" (of all places!) Btw that isn't their name but they would be easily found by that tag if you are interested in viewing their offerings.

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Yes to above posters. :) Too bad your children didn't choose Canada. I would have suggested Nanaimo bars.
  • k8eekins
    Options

Any suggestions?

I find that so interesting! The one near me is very simple & good, but I admit the first time I tried a Stilton coleslaw I wasn't sure what to think. I adore it now, and have loved everything else I have tried. They're quite bold to have a food truck and a food court mall store "A bit of Britain in the Ozarks" (of all places!) Btw that isn't their name but they would be easily found by that tag if you are interested in viewing their offerings.

Thank you ever so much!! I'll be looking them up immediately.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    What about custard creams?
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    What about crumpets? I think it's pretty similar to an English muffin. A little bit of jam on top to finish it off, or lemon curd.

Or beans on toast is a kid friendly food. Just do half a toast with a scoop of beans (I think it's similar to baked beans).
  • Francl27
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    What about custard creams?

The main issue is finding the dishes lol. I could do plain scones but asking 10yo kids to properly help themselves to cream and jam, well... maybe I can just serve them plain.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

ETA: Recommending an open-face scone with a decent piping of ready whip (or a vanilla cream cheese buttercream) with sliced strawberries which will appeal to the American child, who is familiar with the strawberry shortcake. To the children it'll have the same register as a cupcake
    [
    The main issue is finding the dishes lol. I could do plain scones but asking 10yo kids to properly help themselves to cream and jam, well... maybe I can just serve them plain.

Scones, Ready whip and strawberries presented individually. They needn't serve themselves.

27xmo47.png
  • sneezydumpling78
    sneezydumpling78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can't put ready whip on a scone. It should be clotted cream and strawberry jam. Or a cheese scone with salted butter.

Ive never seen stilton coleslaw anywhere in Britain ever. However cheese and (plain coleslaw) sandwiches are a thing. In fact any sandwiches. We'll pretty much put anything between 2 slices of bread.

British food that we do at English kids parties are cheese and pineapple sticks, cocktail sausages, chicken nuggets, vol au vonts with prawn mayo, party rings, scotch eggs, ready salted crisps and vegetable spring rolls. Also a popular thing here at the moment is mini toad in the hole - a mini yorkshire pudding with a cocktail sausage inside.
  • k8eekins
    edited June 2018
    Options
    You can't put ready whip on a scone. It should be clotted cream and strawberry jam. Or a cheese scone with salted butter.

Ive never seen stilton coleslaw anywhere in Britain ever. However cheese and (plain coleslaw) sandwiches are a thing. In fact any sandwiches. We'll pretty much put anything between 2 slices of bread.

British food that we do at English kids parties are cheese and pineapple sticks, cocktail sausages, chicken nuggets, vol au vonts with prawn mayo, party rings, scotch eggs, ready salted crisps and vegetable spring rolls. Also a popular thing here at the moment is mini toad in the hole - a mini yorkshire pudding with a cocktail sausage inside.

Clotted cream is an acquired taste and it is getting warmer to being too hot out here (considerations). Transportable cream is also an issue. For American children in general, presenting scones with cream and fruit as a cupcake is likely to be received well, and is easy for any Mum to put together, without having to labour overmuch. Clotted cream much like our custard isn't exactly what children here like. The scone on its own is dry to them. Starbucks tested a traditional English scone and they just didn't like it as is, preferring the altered version, understandably. It has to be something she can whip together fast, to transport for her 2 children, meaning for either a 30 - 60 count.

What is a thing, for British (English) palates is one thing - These are for American palated children. Their flavour profiles reads British foods as too dense of a bite. She doesn't want to embarass her children. She'd already attempted 2, which was disfavoured for this Heritage day. She'd introduced scones with chocolate, many have dissuaded her from doing, because of the taste profile of a scone. For adults and vegetarian/vegan children - tea sandwiches are awesome. There are rules here, to not put things on a stick for schools - safety issues, depending on the location. Foods on sticks are sometimes frowned upon - on the no list.

Hopefully, Frankl27's children won't mind cocktail sausages, cheese and pineapple etc tea sandwiches, .... Possibly due for school today. Certain English/British foods qualify as adult flavour profile foods here (eg Sports bites).

ETA: insert
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Fairy/butterfly cakes.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Scones - a sweeter version if possible. You're on the right track with chocolate chips. Nobody is going to be looking for uber-authenticity. They just want something that's going to taste good and be fun.

I'm actually surprised that anybody is allowed to bring in home-baked goods anymore. I thought gluten-free and/or peanut allergy concerns brought a lot of those practices to an end?
  • Francl27
    Options
    The main issue is transportability, and I won't be there to 'serve' it.. I just drop it off at the office. And I'm trying to find something that isn't common here... unfortunately we eat a lot of the same things!

Would love to try toad in the hole, just would have to make 3 batches or something and that's a lot of work. I guess I could just bring a victoria cake sandwich and a knife and let the adults there cut it for them... But plain scones just seems so much easier, lol! But I've had issues with dry scones, especially if you're supposed to serve them with something else.

Oh and it's going to sit out for like 2/3 hours too. I was thinking of making a trifle but I don't know about that vanilla cream sitting outside in 80 degrees for that long. Is trifle something more common in England? I've made it a couple times here but never seen anyone else serve it. At least I could just bring the bowl with a big serving spoon and call it a day.

Gah. I have 3 days to decide.

• juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Scotch eggs.
    Hot cross buns
    Mini Meat pies (like a nice Steak and Ale Pie)

These recipes can be found online and are generally very good at sitting around for a couple of hours.

• k8eekins
    edited June 2018
    Options
    The main issue is transportability, and I won't be there to 'serve' it.. I just drop it off at the office. And I'm trying to find something that isn't common here... unfortunately we eat a lot of the same things!

Would love to try toad in the hole, just would have to make 3 batches or something and that's a lot of work. I guess I could just bring a victoria cake sandwich and a knife and let the adults there cut it for them... But plain scones just seems so much easier, lol! But I've had issues with dry scones, especially if you're supposed to serve them with something else.

Oh and it's going to sit out for like 2/3 hours too. I was thinking of making a trifle but I don't know about that vanilla cream sitting outside in 80 degrees for that long. Is trifle something more common in England? I've made it a couple times here but never seen anyone else serve it. At least I could just bring the bowl with a big serving spoon and call it a day.

Gah. I have 3 days to decide.

Trifle is very English, as long as the custard is homemade or tastes homemade. I agree wholeheartedly with you Frankl27@transportable and climate resistant bites, for an easy drop-off. For serving, small Dixie cups, paper serviettes, small plastic spoons and a big serving spoon, would suffice for the teacher, the teaching assistant and the volunteer parent for the day. You're a busy all-in Mum, as I've observed over the years, with a parallel active and demanding life outside parenting. I knew you'd be too busy for a big to-do.

ETA: Insert punctuation