College Snacks...HELP!

Options
Hey Guys. I'm Ellie. Im NOT new. I've been on here for like never! Anywho.....

I have a question and need some help. I am starting school on Monday...yes very soon. I dont have a car yet to drive so i will pretty much be stuck with eating snacks at school for a little bit because all the food places are a little far from my school. I can walk down their no problem but coming back up is a STEEP hill...so..you get my drift.

I need some cheap easy snack ideas that i can carry in my backpack that wont get gross after walking around campus for hours. I have maybe an hour or a little over between each class so eating it is not the problem. I just need to know what i should bring. In Cali its tradition for college students to live off pop tarts and we ALL know how bad that would be. So....ideas?

Replies

• alyshrinks
    alyshrinks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem finding snacks that travel well while I'm at school.
    I recommend rice cakes. :) They fill me up and they're fairly easy to transport.
  • rider797
    rider797 Posts: 52
    Options
    CLIF BARS :)
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    When I was in school I usually had high-fiber granola bars with me. Apples would transport easily, as would a bag of baby carrots or celery sticks. String cheese would be ok for about 2-3 hours out from the last point of refrigeration. You could also carry nuts (like almonds)....in fact they now have convenient 100 calorie packs of almonds :)
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    When I was in school I usually had high-fiber granola bars with me. Apples would transport easily, as would a bag of baby carrots or celery sticks. String cheese would be ok for about 2-3 hours out from the last point of refrigeration. You could also carry nuts (like almonds)....in fact they now have convenient 100 calorie packs of almonds :)

I LOVE carrots and nuts would be good too. I think cliff bars or granola bar would be good but i have classes from 9:30 am- 6:15 pm Tuesdays and Thursday and i would be eating WAY too many of those and probably eating too many calories. But i think carrots, apples and nuts would be good.
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    Personally I love Vegetable Stick Chips. They taste great and are not as bad for you as pop tarts. They are also long and thin, like french fries, and you can carry them in any small plastic container.

Also peanuts. They are a great little snack for between classes.
  • JEK717
    Options
    Personally I love Vegetable Stick Chips. They taste great and are not as bad for you as pop tarts. They are also long and thin, like french fries, and you can carry them in any small plastic container.

Vegetable Stick Chips..i haven't even heard of those???
  • HealthyAlp
    Options

You can find them at Walmart, but I don't remember the brand name. Tasty though, and I think they also have fruit stick chips too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Nuts for sure. What about one of those insulated lunch bags? I bet cheese and even sandwiches would be good in one of those. You could even get a blender bottle and do protein shakes with water. Even beef jerky if you don't mind the HUGE amounts of sodium. I'm a grad student but I have access to a min-fridge which is really nice.
  • JEK717
    Options

You can find them at Walmart, but I don't remember the brand name. Tasty though, and I think they also have fruit stick chips too.

Oooh i like that idea!
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Right now I am loving the Skinny Cow chocolate snacks. The Clusters are my fave!! Yummo! Can you get a small insulated bag to put an ice pack in to take with you? My kids and I love vanilla yogurt w/ fresh blueberries, strawberries or peaches. Or any sort of yogurt!
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I LOVE carrots and nuts would be good too. I think cliff bars or granola bar would be good but i have classes from 9:30 am- 6:15 pm Tuesdays and Thursday and i would be eating WAY too many of those and probably eating too many calories. But i think carrots, apples and nuts would be good.

All these sound great, Cliff bars are good for protein, but would be too many calories if you eat more than probably one a day. String cheese or Baby Bel cheeses would be great if you carry a small cooler bag, baby bottle cooler bag may be the right size. Also, you could take small servings of almond butter or even those individual "Jif to go" PB packs if not too high in calories/fat for you, to eat with your fruit and veggies for added protein. Stacy's pita chips are terrific and only about 110 calories per individual serving. Good job on thinking ahead and avoiding bad choices.
  • JEK717
    Options
    Right now I am loving the Skinny Cow chocolate snacks. The Clusters are my fave!! Yummo! Can you get a small insulated bag to put an ice pack in to take with you? My kids and I love vanilla yogurt w/ fresh blueberries, strawberries or peaches. Or any sort of yogurt!

I could but ill be carrying around my backpack with tons of books and my laptop in it so i would like to try to stay away from any other baggage if i can. My school is on mountain level so it goes up and down and is spread out. So the walk is tough. Carrying too much will kill me:)
  • akp780
    akp780 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have two very small kids and I'm constantly trying to think of travel ready snacks for them. I think our list would apply to you too: snack bags of pretzels (typically very low fat, and if you portion control, you are set with calories), carrots sticks (they can take a beating in a bag), "Wholly guacamole" makes 100 calorie pack (you could dip veggies/pretzels in that), maybe even some salsa in small container, Cheese sticks/baby bells, Air popped popcorn, Apples/pears/grapes, applesauce/pear sauce in small containers, small packs of nuts/trail mix, rice cakes or baked pita chips, PBJ sandwiches, bags of dry cereal/granola, grape tomatoes, oranges, small packs of tuna (no refrigeration needed unless already opened), dried apples, banana chips, . Lots and lots of water! Get your self a kitchen scale and some snack zipbags and pack up a whole bunch of snacks all at once. Grab as needed.

Good for you for thinking ahead. Hopefully you'll get a car, or carpool with friends to hit up the market sooner rather than later. Also, from what I remember of college (it wasn't long ago, I swear) the late night pizzas were my undoing. If you can avoid that on a regular basis, you'll be in good shape!

Good luck (nutritionally AND academically!)
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have two very small kids and I'm constantly trying to think of travel ready snacks for them. I think our list would apply to you too: snack bags of pretzels (typically very low fat, and if you portion control, you are set with calories), carrots sticks (they can take a beating in a bag), "Wholly guacamole" makes 100 calorie pack (you could dip veggies/pretzels in that), maybe even some salsa in small container, Cheese sticks/baby bells, Air popped popcorn, Apples/pears/grapes, applesauce/pear sauce in small containers, small packs of nuts/trail mix, rice cakes or baked pita chips, PBJ sandwiches, bags of dry cereal/granola, grape tomatoes, oranges, small packs of tuna (no refrigeration needed unless already opened), dried apples, banana chips, . Lots and lots of water! Get your self a kitchen scale and some snack zipbags and pack up a whole bunch of snacks all at once. Grab as needed.

Good for you for thinking ahead. Hopefully you'll get a car, or carpool with friends to hit up the market sooner rather than later. Also, from what I remember of college (it wasn't long ago, I swear) the late night pizzas were my undoing. If you can avoid that on a regular basis, you'll be in good shape!

Great additional suggestions! And if not a car, how about a bike for tooling around and possibly to and from campus!
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Granola bars that don't have a lot of chocolate in them (so they won't melt in the hotter temps) are my go-to for snacks at school. Actually, they're my go-to for ANY snack that involves me not being at home for a while. :P

My boyfriend recently got me hooked on those tuna lunch kit things (forget what brand they are, but there's probably multiple kinds anyway). They're portable, good, and not that bad for you, either. =)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i love blue diamond almonds,
    fiber one bars (get a little gooey if in heat a long time),
    special k protein flavored water mix in packets keep me very full for only 10 calories (pink lemonaid is my fav). http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=10031. tuna pouches, homemade muffins/ busicutes. craisens/ raisons. wheat thins are my favorite. fruit roll ups (100% fruit version) oranges, apples.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    i love blue diamond almonds,
    fiber one bars (get a little gooey if in heat a long time),
    special k protein flavored water mix in packets keep me very full for only 10 calories (pink lemonaid is my fav). http://www2.kelloggs.com/ProductDetail.aspx?id=10031. tuna pouches, homemade muffins/ busicutes. craisens/ raisons. wheat thins are my favorite. fruit roll ups (100% fruit version) oranges, apples.

Oh yeah, I forgot Craisins!! I love those. I get the ones that come in the little individual 100 calorie packs, and honestly, I rarely can finish a pack...something about a bazillion tiny dried cranberries is extremely filling. :P
  • JEK717
    Options

Wow...these all sound really good...now i want snacks for home too!!!
    Haha check..no late night pizza.

And thank you! I hope to succeed in both department. I need to write everyone's suggestions on a list!
  • JEK717
    Options

Great additional suggestions! And if not a car, how about a bike for tooling around and possibly to and from campus!

I would LOVE a bike and be able to ride it to school but i live about an hour or so away from school and that would be too far to ride. And then haha getting their on Tuesdays and Thursday with my first class as PE...HA! But i would so do that if i lived a lot closer!
  • Ninnette
    Options
    Any of the "100 Calorie" packs are good, there are so many options from chips to cookies (salty and sweet options) to change it up all the time. The Special K 90 calorie snack bars are also good. Low fat microwave popcorn snack packs are a large portion and only 100 calories. I pop these in the morning before I head out and then transfer them into a ziploc bag (once it's cooled off) to avoid carrying around the greasy popped bag. I have found all these at Target.