In Search of Manly Snacks

Options
So I'm a female, who cooks for two. I am looking for some good snacks or SOMETHING that I can use to bump up the calories for my husband.

It's hard enough to cook every day, and having two very different calorie intakes makes it even more difficult. I am at 1500 daily calories, and he is at around 2300. How can I supplement his diet without making it too difficult?

Replies

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky for snacks
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    idioblast wrote: »
    Bacon.

Always a good answer. :)
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Cook dinner for three and give him the extra?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter. (Is that manly?)

My husband is substantially larger than I am and needs a lot more calories than I do. We eat the same things mostly but he gets much larger portions and I add extra cheese, bread, butter, etc. to his (he can't cook).

• dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    How about lady fingers? perhaps a scone? Kidding aside, nuts are a good snack (peanuts, walnuts or almonds).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for the stereotypical male snacks you are looking at meat and cheese, pork rinds, spicy anything, and deep fried everything.

I would suggest things like trail mix, seeds, and nuts because those would be the kinds of things I would snack on if I needed additional calories.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My husband seems to have no trouble meeting his calorie needs for the 100+ pounds he outweighs me by simply eating larger portions (the *kitten* :lol: ) The only meal we typically eat together is the evening meal, except on weekends, anyway. Plenty of places for him to eat all the yummy things in quantities I can't without me having to provide him with extra snackage.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    We usually split dinner 30/70 or 40/60 in my house to help with this. My husband is the main cook in our house and he makes this super thin crust pizza every week and we get 3 and 5 slices respectively. I often have 1/2 portion of rice or no bread with my meal when he's having a full portion or 2 slices of bread. Stuff like that.

I like a small breakfast of around 170-240 calories most days and my husband eats the exact same thing generally but then has a "second breakfast" of about the same size.

My husband snacks way more than I do, too. He always has nuts, crackers, protein shakes, etc, on hand. We do eat very similarly (big focus on health and goal is definitely not to gain) but he's a lot bigger in general and gets more exercise during the work day (he has a sedentary job just like I do, but works from home and takes breaks to run or bike each day).
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    My wife and I really only eat dinner together but we balance this issue with a combo of differing portion sizes and protein powder. As a general rule I eat significantly more protein and fewer carbs than she does as well. We're also weird and really like breakfast food so we find ourselves doing that for dinner quite often. In that case I'll have 4-6 eggs and skip toast, the Mrs. makes 2 eggs for her with toast, equal portion of bacon/sausage. Combine those sorts of swaps and a post-workout protein shake and I hit my macros and she's a happy camper.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My husband just eats a lot more of whatever we are having for dinner... as far as snacks he just tells me what he wants me to get since I do the shopping. He eats a lot of granola bars and muffins and cereal lol.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I'm a female, who cooks for two. I am looking for some good snacks or SOMETHING that I can use to bump up the calories for my husband.

It's hard enough to cook every day, and having two very different calorie intakes makes it even more difficult. I am at 1500 daily calories, and he is at around 2300. How can I supplement his diet without making it too difficult?

What he needs are more calorie dense foods.
    He could have more rice, bread, pasta, cheese, potatoes, sauces, condiments , oils/fats with his meals. He could snack on guacamole or hummus with chips or veggies. Have him consume full fat dairy, whole eggs. He can eat nuts, nut butters, seeds.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1