Need ideas

Options
Hi. I am a 56 yo woman trying to drop 50 lbs. I consume 1400 total cal's daily, play doubles tennis twice weekly, walk dog 30 mins daily and strength train twice weekly. Have dropped 9 lbs in 8 weeks but I want to speed the fat loss. Looking for ideas.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your current rate of loss is good.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You shouldn’t go faster unless medically necessary.
  • seekerel
    seekerel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Really? I thought 2 lbs per week was the norm.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any of your exercise calories back?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Losing faster than about 1% of your body weight per week can be risky, and slower than that can be better with less than 50 pounds to lose.

There's a lot of nonsense out in the wild about super fast weight loss, but it's really not the healthiest idea, unless under close medical supervision. Slow and steady wins, mostly.

This is a good thread about that: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea

In general, if you're looking for ideas and tips, read the posts in the "Most Helpful Posts" section of each MFP forum topic, if you haven't already done so. They're pure gold. The ones in the "Getting Started" and "General Health, Fitness and Weightloss" sections are a good place to start.
  • seekerel
    seekerel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pointers! I'll check them out.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you’re right on track! That’s good that you’re adding the strength training to your usual walking routine. If adding a third strength training day is possible you might try that.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Only people over 200 lbs should be losing 2 lbs a week (because of the evidence about losing more than 1%, already mentioned). Let your current weight be your starting guide for how much you can attempt to lose--and remember, once under 150, losing 1.5 lbs/week would be too much. You will have to adjust down (smaller) both your calorie goal and your targeted loss per week, as you lose, but that's a good thing.