Runners runs...

Options
2»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd use it for a 10k, but with long runs imodium instants are your friend. I always make I've "been" first, seems I've trained my body quite well to go within 20mins of getting up, and then if it's anything over a couple of hours running I'll take an instant.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Bit of an update, 2 days ago I ran 10k - my first 10k without taking a break and no gastric issues. Not sure what I did different, I managed to go toilet before going out, had plenty of water and ate about 1.5hrs before hand. Nothing special, cereal and toast. So ill just see how things go over the next few months.

But yay ran 10k! And in 1hr 7min so a good pace!
  • 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Great job that's a solid pace.

I was reading this thread last week stressing out cause I had a 13km race on Sunday. I normally only run 5-6kms. I did a 8km on Mothers Day (Australia) and the last bit was downhill and I was keeping good pace until I started leaking, I had to slow down considerably to stop it. I didnt even end up going after I finished the race. I tried to find proper incontinence underwear locally with no luck as they only had the disposable ones and they would be obvious under tights I reckon.

Sundays race was longer although it didnt finish downhill so I expected issues, morning routine including volume of liquids was the same. The race was fine, I ended up wearing a pair of bike pants under my running shorts just in case. The only thing I could figure was my bladder/body may have been tired as the day before the previous race I'd been on my feet all day running a stall which also involved holding my bladder when I was too busy serving to be able to visit the ladies. Or the bike pants made a difference in supporting my tummy muscles. Either way I dont know what made the difference but I was glad whatever it was worked.
  • sharunza
    sharunza Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not an expert here, just an enthusiastic jogger. I’m wondering if you are getting ischemic colitis. Basically the intensity of your run might be a little too much for your fitness. Blood rushes to your tummy, and you get cramps and the need to poop.

Aside from hydration and food, personally I would try your next long run at 30s-1m slower than your usual pace, and see if it clears up. Your speed will increase as your endurance improves.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Bit of an update, 2 days ago I ran 10k - my first 10k without taking a break and no gastric issues. Not sure what I did different, I managed to go toilet before going out, had plenty of water and ate about 1.5hrs before hand. Nothing special, cereal and toast. So ill just see how things go over the next few months.

But yay ran 10k! And in 1hr 7min so a good pace!

Do this for all your longs run. Sometimes it takes time playing with a routine and food before you find what works for you. Once you find something that seems to work, do it again.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I definitely find the topography of my runs affects me. Going uphill - fine. On a level - fine. Downhill - need the loo. I’d echo those people who recommending you “go” before you go. Even then I still something have to walk.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I definitely find the topography of my runs affects me. Going uphill - fine. On a level - fine. Downhill - need the loo. I’d echo those people who recommending you “go” before you go. Even then I still something have to walk.

hmmm interesting. most of my runs tend to be on the flat. The first time I experienced this was on a completely flat circuit. I'm wondering about the ischemic colitis mentioned earlier, because this run was definitely a slower pace than usual.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

hmmm interesting. most of my runs tend to be on the flat. The first time I experienced this was on a completely flat circuit. I'm wondering about the ischemic colitis mentioned earlier, because this run was definitely a slower pace than usual.

Intriguing! I’ve never heard of ischemic colitis before so will research.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yeah, no.

The physiopathology and symptoms alone suggest it’s highly unlikely to be the cause of my issues. The indicative age range alone excludes me (plus a lot but not all runners) - 90% of cases of IC are 60 years old or older.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2778113/