ALWAYS thinking about food

Options
Lately, all I can seem to think about is what I’m going to eat next. I’ve been dieting since November and preplanning meals is always important, but it’s becoming almost endless. I can be eating lunch and thinking about dinner, or I’ll be at the movies and thinking about what I’ll be eating the next day, or I’ll be playing mini golf and just wondering what food will come next. I feel like I’ve been spending way too much time worrying about food. It’s not even worrying about staying under my calorie limit for the day that I think about because that’s not an issue for me. I feel happiest when I eat, but being distracted by the thought of what my next meal or healthy snack will be is just ruining a lot of experiences for me. Is this becoming an issue? I really have no idea how to solve it

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I am guessing here. It could be that you are not completely satisfied, bored, and/or hungry too often. Are you getting enough treats? Are you getting enough variety? Are you eating enough to shut your hunger down until the next meal? You have been at this for 6 months have you taken a weekend to eat at maintenance to take a mini-break?

If you don't think any of that will help you, you may need to seek out therapy.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    This may be different than what you are describing as it is not continuous for me, but I have noticed that I look forward to my meals and think about them way more. Previously it was just constant eating and very little appreciation for my food. Now I enjoy the spaces in between meals, enjoy looking forward to it, I pay more attention while I am eating it and thoroughly enjoy it. I feel like it is a much healthier attitude. If it is more like an obsession for you then maybe your calories are set too low?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I would have lost the weight or be having success maintaining without a fair amount of consideration about my menu. Probably not the answer you work looking for, but 7 months isn't long enough to make it second nature.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I noticed your comment: I feel happiest when I eat.

I was like that too.

Finding other activities that gave me the same feeling helped immensely.
    Perhaps that would help you too?

Great advice. The same helped me too.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my wife has been like this for as long as I've known her and she hasn't once been on diet. Now, I'm a sucker for pre-logging/planning my days so I'm always thinking at least a meal or three ahead and spend a disproportionate amount of time and energy thinking about food, mostly from a nutrition-balancing standpoint, but I understand the feeling of wondering if you spend too much mental effort on food.

If you've been dieting non-stop since November it's possible you need a break psychologically. A controlled weekend or week at maintenance won't alter your weight loss schedule too terribly much and may help reset your mindset so you're not so hung up on your meals.

Further, what is your deficit/calories set to? If you've lost a significant amount of weight since you started it may be appropriate to reduce your deficit as you get closer to your goal. It's generally ill-advised to attempt to lose more than 1% of your body weight per week. If you're exceeding that, you may be trying to go too quickly and this is partly your body reacting to feeling deprived.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Ok. Well if this is normal for some people forget I said anything. It just goes to show you we are all not the same. I rarely have unintended food thoughts unless I am hungry and that is usually just before a meal.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Ok. Well if this is normal for some people forget I said anything. It just goes to show you we are all not the same. I rarely have unintended food thoughts unless I am hungry and that is usually just before a meal.

I thought your original advice was sound. I think about food because it's the one pleasurable thing in my life. Mine's a mental problem related to untreated depression rather than physical one. I'd like to be someone who only thinks about food when they're hungry.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    OP, you don't say whether or not you are hungry all the time. I tend to think about food when I'm hungry and don't have anything else on my mind. Some days--b/c I haven't figured out what satisfies me--I'm hungry a lot and I think about food more. If you are thinking about food b/c you are hungry all the time, then perhaps it's time to look into what might satisfy you more.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    If you've been dieting non-stop since November it's possible you need a break psychologically. A controlled weekend or week at maintenance won't alter your weight loss schedule too terribly much and may help reset your mindset so you're not so hung up on your meals.

Maintenance is harder than eating at a deficit. It has increased my attention to detail in my diet. If the deficit is a little larger or smaller than you think, you still lose weight and probably at very nearly the rate you are shooting for. If you are off in maintenance, you start creeping up or down.

EDIT - @SoulOfRusalka commented below and in the spirit of full disclosure, I do have some issues with obsession. However, I still maintain that maintenance only intensifies it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I used to think about food all the time when I ate more high carb/high fat foods that didn't satiate me. Upping my protein helped considerably.

For example, I can eat 400 calories of popcorn and butter and want more food an hour later. But 400 calories of chicken, broccoli, potato, and butter, will keep me satisfied for hours.

If tweaking your macros doesn't help, these are good suggestions as well:
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am guessing here. It could be that you are not completely satisfied, bored, and/or hungry too often. Are you getting enough treats? Are you getting enough variety? Are you eating enough to shut your hunger down until the next meal? You have been at this for 6 months have you taken a weekend to eat at maintenance to take a mini-break?

If you don't think any of that will help you, you may need to seek out therapy.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What is the nature of those thoughts? Are you happy or worried? If worried, are you just worried about the fact that you're thinking a lot about food? As an adult, you have to think about food. As an adult in a society filled with food, you have to think a lot about food, and you can't avoid being reminded of food. Having enough to eat, and delicious and safe food as well, is a great gift, but a gift that has to be used responsibly.

If you're worried, do you feel restricted, or are you over-restricting?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    When I started I used to spend a lot of time thinking and worrying about what I could prepare for my next meal. I have tended now to push all that time together into one session a week when I plan my week's menu and draw up a shopping list. With that done I don't need to think about food again for the week, other than a nice anticipation of my next meal, or to actually prepare it. Life happens and sometimes the meals need swapping about but they are generally nutritionally pretty similar.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I reckon I spend about 90% of my waking hours thinking about food. What I'm going to eat next, what I can fit into tomorrow's calories, how I'm going to offset a restaurant meal.... it seems to take up waaaaay too much thought! Am really hoping I can move away from this mindset at some point.
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Youre body is starving. That's the whole point. If your body hadn't evolved to keep its fat stores then your ancestors would have died out. Once you get to your desired weight, hold at maintainance calories for 6 months to a year and you'll feel fine