Does this mean i am very wrong?

Options
So lately after reading all these diet tips proven wrong or may not be right does thos meam i should:

1. Stop eating 6meals a day
2.stop eating breaky
3.eat my dinner later than 5pm
4.stop worrying about saturated fats affecting my heart and health?
5.stop excessively drinking water?

So confused as what type of food i should eat not eat when to eat or not to

Help please

Replies

• RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you. If you're losing weight as you want, and feeling good about yourself. Then it must be working.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Well you always want to drink water. Is breaky breakfast? It has been proven TRUE that eating breakfast is good and recommend not only for weight, but just overall health. You do not want too much fat in your diet, period. I don't think it matters when you eat dinner.
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Just do what works for you. If you're losing weight as you want, and feeling good about yourself. Then it must be working.
    This!!!
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend you check out Jillian Michaels Boost your Metabolism (the library carries it if you don't have any other way of attaining it). It not only gives you great straight forward suggestions to live by, but she explains the WHY you should do the things she suggests.
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    So lately after reading all these diet tips proven wrong or may not be right does thos meam i should:

2.stop eating breaky

Help please
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1200 calories in 6 meals a day or 3 meals a day is still 1200 calories so surely it doesn't matter and really depends whether you are a person who prefers smaller portions?
    Always eat brekky - gets your metabolism going and stops you from suddenly feeling hungry and reaching for a naughty snack mid morning.
    Again - eating later than 5pm doesn't matter - 1200 cals before or after 5pm is still 1200 cals
    Not sure about number 4 cos I would think that it is better to cut down on saturated fats.
    Depends what you mean by excessively but I'd aim for the 8 cups a day because it helps to make you feel full.

All of the above is only my opinion.
    Alli
  • KazNoms
    KazNoms Posts: 83
    Options
    Well you always want to drink water. Is breaky breakfast? It has been proven TRUE that eating breakfast is good and recommend not only for weight, but just overall health. You do not want too much fat in your diet, period. I don't think it matters when you eat dinner.

Okay well this does give me a piece of mind dont think i could live without breakfast again lol.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, for starters you should never "excessively" drink water. Drink however much you need. Drinking too much can dilute electrolytes in your blood stream and cause problems.

As for everything else. It's simple. As long as you eat the correct number of calories a day and get the appropriate vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients that your body needs, it doesn't matter when or how you eat them. Do what works for you. That's what the studies have shown.

Fat is good for you, it's necessary for the human body to make hormones.
  • KazNoms
    Options
    I would highly recommend you check out Jillian Michaels Boost your Metabolism (the library carries it if you don't have any other way of attaining it). It not only gives you great straight forward suggestions to live by, but she explains the WHY you should do the things she suggests.

Thanks for the idea ill stop into bookstore today =)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

Yep. Don't over-think or over-complicate it. :) There ARE no rules, really. Just guidelines. If you're losing weight at a healthy pace and you feel good, you're doing it right. Don't be afraid of a little discomfort. I spent the first five months of the year absolutely RAVENOUS. People on this site kept telling me, "Well, if you're hungry it's because you're not eating enough!" NO. I was hungry because I've been stuffing my face-hole with reckless abandon for a decade. Now my appetite has finally righted itself. Listen to your body but, MORE IMPORTANTLY, listen to your brain. You're gonna do GREAT!
  • birdlover97111
    birdlover97111 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Breakfast boosts your metabolism for the day....Water flushes out toxins "The solution to pollution is dilution"...I drink a minimum of 1 gallon per day...As for how many meals, it's all in what you are comfortable...Good luck on your journey... :flowerforyou:
  • KazNoms
    Options
    1200 calories in 6 meals a day or 3 meals a day is still 1200 calories so surely it doesn't matter and really depends whether you are a person who prefers smaller portions?
    Always eat brekky - gets your metabolism going and stops you from suddenly feeling hungry and reaching for a naughty snack mid morning.
    Again - eating later than 5pm doesn't matter - 1200 cals before or after 5pm is still 1200 cals
    Not sure about number 4 cos I would think that it is better to cut down on saturated fats.
    Depends what you mean by excessively but I'd aim for the 8 cups a day because it helps to make you feel full.

All of the above is only my opinion.
    Alli

And thank you for sharing with everyones opinions its got me thinking seriously talking to this with my nitritions it goes in one ear out the other
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    You can eat 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, or 12 meals a day. Just hit your nutritional targets and go with what fits your schedule and comfort level the best.

2.stop eating breaky
    Stop if you want. Don't stop if you don't want.

again, up to you

pretty much, yes

nothing should be done to excess
  • KazNoms
    Options

Yep. Don't over-think or over-complicate it. :) There ARE no rules, really. Just guidelines. If you're losing weight at a healthy pace and you feel good, you're doing it right. Don't be afraid of a little discomfort. I spent the first five months of the year absolutely RAVENOUS. People on this site kept telling me, "Well, if you're hungry it's because you're not eating enough!" NO. I was hungry because I've been stuffing my face-hole with reckless abandon for a decade. Now my appetite has finally righted itself. Listen to your body but, MORE IMPORTANTLY, listen to your brain. You're gonna do GREAT!

This made me smile thank you muchly
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    What taso said. ^
  • sej1990
    sej1990 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

This made me smile thank you muchly

I agree with her completely its very hard to stop eating so much when your so use to eating whatever you feel like
  • brianblinn
    brianblinn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Different diet work differently for people. I work in a doctor's offcie so I can tell you this:

#1: 6 large meals is bad but eating 6 small meals instead is fine. The key word is small. If you need, say 1200 calories a day, then each "meal" could be around 200 calories.
    #2 The old addage is true. Breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day. Remember, breakfast is just that. A break from your fast (i.e. not eating while you slept. if you're eating while sleeping you have OTHER problems) The first meal after fastign sets your metabolism for the day. Skipping it means a sluggish metabolism. Sluggish mean no true calories burned, just stored. Eat something small, just enough to wake up your body. Protein is fantastic for this. Eggs are wonderful (watch out for the cholestrol).
    #3 Eatwhen you are hungry. Don't get hung up on "I haven't eaten dinner so I'd better. Listen to your body. As long as you've eaten at enough calories for your target body size ( weight, BMI, etc) then it's ok to skip a meal. Never, I mean, never eat close to bedtime. No, you wont get sick or have nightmares but you're body will view that food as extra (you're not doing anything but sleeping).
    #4 We all need some fat in our diet to stay healthy. The key is moderation. Lean meats is always better for us. That way the level of fat is beneficial.
    #5 Too much of anything is bad. You can become sick from too much water but we're talking gallons. It's an old wive's tale that you must drink 8 glases a water a day. Keep in mind everything thing we eat has liquid in it. Coffee, soda, even beer helps meet our liquid needs. The only "bad" thing is the other things included with the liquid. Sugars, fat, starches.

All in all don't listen to all the hype & just listen to your body. Remember, it's more than eating. Verb...it's what you do!
  • Jc_1324
    Jc_1324 Posts: 29
    Options
    1) for the 6 meals a day, I'm unsure as I've always been told that you need to have small minor snacks, approx 2 hours apart

2) always eat breakfast, its a proven fact that it helps and should never be skipped.

3) if your eating later then 5 its not to much of a worry as long as it isn't so late that your meal is still there when your going to sleep, ( usually try not to east after 9 or even 8:30 , of course this changes with your sleep patterns as well, if you were to be going to sleep at midnight, compared to someone at 10)

4) saturated fats should always be taken into a count not only for weight loss, but also for the fact of just straight health wise, you don't need to fully watch them( again depending how strict you are on a diet, or health wise, for me personally i do my best to avoid them, but as long as your aware and, do not have a heavy intake of them, should be okay)

5) You should always drink water, to what you feel you need, it's been said 8 glasses of water, and so on, but as long as your getting in a good amount of it, should be fine.

All honesty, for dietary purposes you should try your best to do these things, since most of them have been proven, to help, but you can adjust them to fit your lifestyle, so you should think as to how you could fit the 5 points listed, into your life as best as you can.

The foods you should try and avoid are fast food's , junk food ( candy/chocolate/chips), to an extent where if you'd like to treat yourself to a something go for it, but try to refrain and stop yourself from eating those. ( again this is all how strict you are for your dietary habits/lifestyle, some people avoid them all completely 100% ( myself for one)) & try and avoid the red meats

And the foods you should eat, well Vegetables, Some Fruits ( i say some being, fruits contain lots of sugar depending on the fruit, so cant indulge in it to much, but others have low counts, so again depends on how strict you are) , Try and eat alot of chicken or turkey ( if you can afford it, being it is more expensive i've found),

I'm not sure if i covered everything in the post, but if you need an explanation or have any questions feel free to message.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    1, 2, and 3: Eat whenever you want. IF eating six times a day makes you happy, do it. If eating 3 times a day makes you happy, do it. If eating dinner at 8pm makes you happy, do it.

4. Get a variety of fats from a variety of sources but stay under your "macros". I shoot for 30-35% of my calories from fat.

5. Drink enough water and/or get enough liquid from foods and other drinks such that your pee isn't florescent yellow.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

2.stop eating breaky

Help please

It's simple really although people try their level best to make it hard or mystical.

Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Calories deficit + mostly good diet = more fat loss
    Calorie deficit + mostly good diet + resistance / weight training = more fat loss, muscle preservation and looking spectacular naked.

Meal times and sizes are largely irrelevant. Do what you feel comfortable with keeping in mind the above.

Water: keep hydrated but you don't have to go nuts.

Sat fat: not the enemy. If your diet is generally good containing natural, fresh produce (fruit & veg, lean meats, fish, eggs) then you don't have to worry about it consciously as it will be covered.