Food pushers!

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    find new people to be around.

no one in my life tries to make me eat. Could be because they know i have OCD (not related to weight loss), could be because they know i watch what i eat, could be for any number of reasons. They tend to tell me where to find the food, in case i want some. I usually say thanks and skip it all. My friend made some salsa last week and i thought she was going to faint when I actually had some LOLOL

seriously, people learn or they don't. either make room for it, IF it is something you want to partake in, or simply say thanks and decline. People who dont learn my quirks will quickly find themselves without my presence.
  • cmclairer
    cmclairer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say no thank you. I stay firm. And most of the time that's enough. When they force it beyond that, I now tend to point out (kindly) that they are actually being pretty inconsiderate! What I eat is no-one elses affair.
  • kroe4
    kroe4 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I swear my mom is the worst at this. She always insists I eat something else, or at least have a snack. I know deep down it's just because she's worried that I'm not eating enough or that I'm starving myself. (Because to her that must be the only way I've lost 50lbs already lol) Despite me telling her I have a calorie goal (1400) that I stick too. I just keep reminding her that the healthy foods I eat make me feel full longer and that if I do have that dessert or whatever it is she's pushing, my body will feel like crap cause it's not used to it. She usually backs off after that.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I feel like even when you have an allergy people can still try and push food on you. I was at a gender reveal party recently where Grandma to be was a huge food pusher. They revealed the gender by cutting into the cake to see if it is pink or blue, it was a boy so the cake was blue. I have a severe allergy to blue dye and it affects me in very strong ways, the most severe reaction being a seizure so naturally I passed on the cake. Well grandma was just not having it saying "but I made it for the baby and you HAVE to have some to celebrate" I continued to tell her I have an allergy to blue dye but she kept insisting as if she did not believe anyone could possibly be allergic to her homemade cake. She was very cold to me the rest of the party and she was personally insulted by my allergy, ugh. I know most people are understanding of allergies but there are still some that will not let it go!

Grandma wouldn't get a chance to be cold to me, because while she's trying to give me a piece of cake, she'd be getting a piece of my mind. Don't care how old or who you are I don't have to respect you if you're acting like a jerk. My grandma taught me that ;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ok! thanks for all your replies! It’s given me strength to stand my own ground knowing you guys thoughts are all along the same lines on mine.

It just gets tough having to repeat no so many times. I’ve started to become a hermit to stay away from it which isn’t good. I also don’t know how many times I’ve said I’m allergic.. lactose intolerant and a few other foods but when I go there’s the meal with dairy in it or the other foods that bother me. If I took a side dish I would get “what you don’t like my food!” I can’t win for losing!!!

About partner- if I cook for him it looks so good I want some and then too much. I guess it’s a big salad before I eat with him. He can have some too if he wants.

With your neighbor at this point I would be blunt and say that they have been serving foods you have told them yoy can not eat due to medical conditions. If they want you to eat they can alter the menu (suggest recipes), accept that you will bring a dish or you can cook for everyone. Suggest non-food ways to be social.
    With your partner you can each put what you want on your plate. If you are both physically capable you can prepare your own meals or make a main item and a potato for him with salad or other vegetables for you. It is up to you what you put in your body.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Open your mouth and say NO.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    nodley wrote: »
    My wife is the worst! She sulks if I say no to a takeaway on a weekend and has little digs at me about not eating the same foods and stuff at mealtimes. I've just explained that I need to be more healthy, and that it's important to me, and that it's not forever and we will have a takeaway next week on me. She's slowly accepting it, and I'm hoping she'll get in on the act too.

I'd be sulky, too, if my husband was controlling what I eat just because he's on a diet. ;)

Didn't sound to me like he was trying to control his wife's food. He said HE passes on take away sometimes. She can still have it if she wants, I'm assuming. I could be wrong, but it sounds like he's changing his meals for HIMSELF and she doesn't like it.

She wanted takeaway, he said, "No, maybe next week," and then went on to hope she gets her sulky act together and loses some weight, too.

That's what I got out of it and why I replied as I did. ;)