Carbs can kill you

Options
vm007
vm007 Posts: 241 Member
Catchy title eh? lol

I just browsing and accidentally stumbled upon Yahoo news and title was catchy.

What do you guys think? I've linked the study and the article.

Study

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext

Article

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/nutrition/if-you-don’t-stop-eating-these-7-high-carb-foods-they-could-kill-you/ss-AAyd2e8?li=AAggNb9&ocid=iehp

Some people are just plain eating too many carbs, and these are the signs you are one of them. If you overindulge on high carb foods, limiting those carbs can be a life-saver, literally. In one study, people who ate a lot of carbs (more than 60 percent of their daily calories) had a nearly 30 percent greater risk of dying during a seven-plus year period than people eating a low-carb diet.Here's how the researchers figured this out: In their Prospective Urban Rural Epidemiology (PURE) study, they followed people aged 35 to 70 from 18 countries for 7.4 years on average. Participants answered questions about the foods they ate using a standard questionnaire, and researchers categorized them into groups based on their intake of carbs, fats, and protein.During the study period, 5,796 participants died and 4,784 had heart attacks or strokes. Researchers took a look at their diets and found that those who consumed the greatest amount of carbs were more likely to die, when compared with their counterparts who consumed the least. Fat, however, seemed protective. People who ate high-fat diets (about 35 percent of daily energy intake) had a 23 percent lower risk of mortality, and an 18 percent lower risk of stroke compared to low intake group (11 percent energy).

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Its the quality of carbs to watch. Good carb rather than Bad carb. not all carbs are created equal like calories. Its more macros which matter.

Please don't make me eat olives or olive oil they are very high in salicylate and that makes me so ill. one persons meat another's poison. (many things are high SS but don't panic, if your body can eliminate them you will be fine.

Nobody is going to make you eat olives or olive oil, I was merely pointing it out as an example of an apparently healthful diet pattern that is more than 10% fat and 10% carbohydrates. It isn't the *only* apparently healthful diet pattern, just one of many humans have developed.
  • vm007
    vm007 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    correlation doesn't equal causation

See awesome examples or REAL statistics that correlate: http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

This one is my favorite:
    k74ans5z7k8d.jpeg

LMAO
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    That's hard.... Raising Arizona is it.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think LCHF seems protective as does HCLF. It's the inbetween of higher carbs (mainly refined and highly processed) AND higher levels of fat that seems to be the cause of the (health and weight) problem for many... mainly those who are not active.

I don't think it comes down to NO carbs or no fat, but keeping one or the other below around 10% seems helpful, ie. Ornish or Atkins

JMO

I think there are some models of a higher carbohydrate and fat diet that seem to support good health, like the traditional diet in Crete. Includes lots of olive oil and three times as much bread as we eat in the US, along with lots of vegetables and meats like fish, pork, and lamb.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that their diet is lower in refined and highly processed carbs... and lower in industrial vegetable oils too. Whole foods seems to help. Whole foods in a very LCHF or HCLF seems to be protective. JMO.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So can rhinos, so don't eat a whole one!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    That's hard.... Raising Arizona is it.
    I think LCHF seems protective as does HCLF. It's the inbetween of higher carbs (mainly refined and highly processed) AND higher levels of fat that seems to be the cause of the (health and weight) problem for many... mainly those who are not active.

I don't think it comes down to NO carbs or no fat, but keeping one or the other below around 10% seems helpful, ie. Ornish or Atkins

JMO

I think there are some models of a higher carbohydrate and fat diet that seem to support good health, like the traditional diet in Crete. Includes lots of olive oil and three times as much bread as we eat in the US, along with lots of vegetables and meats like fish, pork, and lamb.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that their diet is lower in refined and highly processed carbs... and lower in industrial vegetable oils too. Whole foods seems to help. Whole foods in a very LCHF or HCLF seems to be protective. JMO.

Yes, their diet is lower in refined grains and olive oil is the only vegetable oil that is regularly consumed. But my point is that it isn't low carbohydrate or low fat, yet there is good evidence that it supports health. I'm not convinced we need to keep any macronutrient at a low or very low level in order to thrive.