Sugar recommended limit seems ridiculously low

Options
TheMrWobbly
TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,537 Member
I am well within my calorie count and all macros except sugar, everyday sugar. Today is a typical day so my sugar comes from;

Veg & Rice 15g
Semi-Milk 21g (Porridge and one latte)
Raw Fruit 31g (Banana, Orange, Pear)

Porridge is one of the healthiest breakfast options and I've cut down from 3 to 1 latte a day. Should I eat less fruit? If I do what am I going to replace it with? At this point I am still 400 calories under my daily goal and don't want to eat more as I hate seeing the 'red' numbers on the bottom of the food diary.

All suggestions welcome.

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,537 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kommodevaran, it is not that I don't want to see the number, I just don't want it in red. Am I the only one who struggles with the sugar recommendation whilst being well under in all other groups?
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    im always over in sugar but i dont have an issue with sugar so i track fiber instead.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    While I almost never reach my sugar limit (too little fruit, black choco as a sweet - personal preference), I see absolutely no problem with going over the „standard initial MFP provision” for sugar. You can change it, anyway! And maybe you should, especially if it frustrates you to see it in red. Milk and fruits are two great and conscious choices, and the sugars in them are, in my point of view, quite irrelevant to both weight loss and overall health.
  • _rowan
    _rowan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on sugar because I eat a lot of fruit. If I didn't eat so much fruit or was on a restricted diet I'd pay attention to it but honestly I pay it no mind.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I didn't even realize that sugar was tracked. I looked back over the last 2 weeks and my highest day my sugar was at 15g, most days it was under 10g. Now, I do eat a low carb diet, but honestly, even if it didn't, mine would still probably be low because I'm just not a "sweets" person. I don't really eat fruit either, maybe only once or twice per week, it just doesn't do anything for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sugar is tracked by Default on the "Printable Version" so you don't really need to track it on the FOOD diary page. Just change your nutrient column to track something else (go to FOOD > Settings to make the changes.)

"Sugar" is always available to view, one click away with the green button that says, "View full report Printable," at the very bottom on the FOOD page. Just toggle back and forth.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I switched my sugar tracker to fiber, instead. I'm already tracking sugar with the carb section.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kommodevaran, it is not that I don't want to see the number, I just don't want it in red. Am I the only one who struggles with the sugar recommendation whilst being well under in all other groups?

I think it's nice to have a mix of red and green . . . woo-hoo, it's Christmas!!

I was over the MFP sugar recommendation every single day while losing, when the only added sugar I was eating was a bit of concentrated fruit juice well down the ingredient list in a single daily 30-calorie tablespoon of all-fruit spread. (The rest was from whole fruit, and the sugars inherent in low/no fat no-sugar-added dairy products.) I'm not diabetic, insulin resistant, or anything else that requires me to monitor carbs/sugar closely.

My conclusion? Stop tracking sugar (silly for me), start tracking something I care about (fiber, in my case, but for some it's iron or whatever).

Don't struggle to meet irrelevant goals - that would be my opinion.

P.S. Turning your protein goal red by a bit is usually a good thing. Same can be true for fats.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I changed all of my recommendations to ridiculous settings so I never get an alert. As long as I eat more than 1g of protien and less than 100,000mg of sodium a day (and so forth) I don't get the annoying warnings. I'm under medical supervision as I'm having surgery in August and all my blood work is great, so I don't worry about it. I just continue to eat mostly healthy and get my workouts in. Also, the sodium levels are for the average person - I live in the desert, because of the high temps we get pretty sweaty and drink a lot of water, so more sodium is needed to be healthier than in cooler climates
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I really wish it differentiated between fruit sugar and refined sugar!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    I really wish it differentiated between fruit sugar and refined sugar!

This would be impossible until all of this information was required on nutritional labels. I really wish that would happen!