Carbs can kill you

Options

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

But, were they watching a Nicolas Cage movie while driving before being crushed to death by carbs?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

Since this is derived from the PURE study, it's worth some consideration.

FYI @JeromeBarry1 Here is a Harvard School of Public Health article explaining the methodology issues and problems with PURE the study. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2017/09/08/pure-study-makes-headlines-but-the-conclusions-are-misleading/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That's hard.... Raising Arizona is it.
    I think LCHF seems protective as does HCLF. It's the inbetween of higher carbs (mainly refined and highly processed) AND higher levels of fat that seems to be the cause of the (health and weight) problem for many... mainly those who are not active.

I don't think it comes down to NO carbs or no fat, but keeping one or the other below around 10% seems helpful, ie. Ornish or Atkins

JMO

I think there are some models of a higher carbohydrate and fat diet that seem to support good health, like the traditional diet in Crete. Includes lots of olive oil and three times as much bread as we eat in the US, along with lots of vegetables and meats like fish, pork, and lamb.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that their diet is lower in refined and highly processed carbs... and lower in industrial vegetable oils too. Whole foods seems to help. Whole foods in a very LCHF or HCLF seems to be protective. JMO.

Yes, their diet is lower in refined grains and olive oil is the only vegetable oil that is regularly consumed. But my point is that it isn't low carbohydrate or low fat, yet there is good evidence that it supports health. I'm not convinced we need to keep any macronutrient at a low or very low level in order to thrive.

I don't think everyone needs to keep carbs or fat super low. I think it is ideal for some people and less likely to lead to a state of poor health.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's less likely to lead to a state of poor health. There's nothing inherently harmful about a diet where neither fat or carbohydrates are low. There are traditional diet patterns that appear to support good health that fall into that category.

Are there unhealthful ways to eat moderate/high carbohydrates and fat? Absolutely. But there are unhealthful ways to eat within any macronutrient range.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I don't know. It takes me a lot of alcohol to get through most Cage films. If I were near a pool, I might fall in and drown, too. Ergo, there would be a causative effect.

:trollface:

What. PuLeas of the 96 carefully selected films listed below name a bad one....

8mm
    A Score to Settle
    Adaptation
    Amos & Andrew
    Army of One
    Arsenal
    Astro Boy
    Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
    Bangkok Dangerous
    Between Worlds
    Birdy[2]
    Bringing Out the Dead
    Captain Corelli's Mandolin
    Christmas Carol: The Movie
    City of Angels[2]
    Con Air
    Deadfall
    Dog Eat Dog
    Drive Angry
    Dying of the Light
    Face/Off
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Fire Birds
    G-Force
    Ghost Rider
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
    Gone in 60 Seconds
    Grindhouse
    Guarding Tess
    Honeymoon in Vegas
    Inconceivable
    It Could Happen to You
    Joe
    Kick-*kitten*
    Kill Chain
    Kiss of Death
    Knowing
    Leaving Las Vegas[2]
    Left Behind[2]
    Looking Glass
    Lord of War
    Mandy
    Matchstick Men
    Mom and Dad
    Moonstruck[2]
    National Treasure
    National Treasure: Book of Secrets
    Never on Tuesday
    Next
    Outcast
    Pay the Ghost
    Peggy Sue Got Married[2]
    Primal
    Prisoners of the Ghostland
    Racing with the Moon[2]
    Rage[2]
    Raising Arizona[2]
    Red Rock West
    Rumble Fish[2]
    Running with the Devil
    Season of the Witch
    Seeking Justice
    Snake Eyes
    Snowden
    Sonny
    Stolen
    Teen Titans Go! To the Movies

The Ant Bully
    The Boy in Blue
    The Cotton Club[2]
    The Croods

The Croods 2
    The Family Man
    The Frozen Ground[2]
    The Humanity Bureau
    The Rock[2]
    The Runner
    The Sorcerer's Apprentice
    The Trust

The Weather Man
    The Wicker Man
    Time to Kill
    Trapped in Paradise
    Trespass
    USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage
    Valley Girl
    Vampire's Kiss
    Vengeance: A Love Story
    Wild at Heart[2]
    Windtalkers
    World Trade Center
    Zandalee

Ok too easy name the good ones....

I was actually a Cage fan...

...until Snake Eyes.

That's when things went downhill for me. :cry:
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    saldridge wrote: »
    I have heard about a lot of people getting killed by carbs. Specifically, fiber seems to be bad. Like, trees during a thunderstorm. When they fall on top of you. Those carbs are the WORSE

Would that be carb related or water??? The killer chemical, dihydrogen oxide is known to be deadly because it's a chemical, and they are bad for you.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Bad science will surely kill me :s

Bad Journalism will kill me. The title of the report in the link talked about high carbs AND high fat. The journalist focused on the enemy de jour....

I'm sure if it was the 80's the title of the article would have been 'Saturated Fat can kill you'!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    So can rhinos, so don't eat a whole one!

I was told that if you believe in yourself you can do anything. soooooo...... yeah. LOL!!!
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Two things:

F***

and

You

Now pass the pasta and garlic bread.
  • beccapax
    beccapax Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting study. I know people here are making fun of it, but I find it compelling.

This is a large (135,335 participants) cohort study, meaning the subjects were followed over a period of years - in this case, 10 years. This lends to the validity of this study, as opposed to a small, brief study with little time allowed for follow-up.

The point of this study was to assess the relationship between carbohydrates and fats, and cardiovascular disease and mortality across all socioeconomic backgrounds. Thus, 18 different countries of a variety of income levels were studied. Prior studies seemed to mainly include high-income countries such as the US and Canada. Therefore, socioeconomic factors were considered in this study and WERE adjusted for.

Dietary recall data were collected, along with physical activity levels and health/socioeconomic history. The data collection of food intake went like this (https://www.thelancet.com/cms/attachment/2113864408/2084408033/mmc1.pdf):

"Participants were asked 'during the past year, on average, how often have you consumed the following foods or drinks' and the list of food items was given." The options "ranged from never to more than 6 times/day... To compute daily nutrient intake, country-specific food databases listing nutrient values for each food item listed in the [questionnaire] were constructed." From there, estimated daily intakes for each participant were formulated. Data regarding health events and mortality rates were also collected.

The study found that "a high carbohydrate intake was associated with an adverse impact on total mortality, whereas fats including saturated and unsaturated fatty acids were associated with lower risk of total mortality and stroke. We did not observe any detrimental effect of fat intakes on cardiovascular disease events." Here are graphs of the data: https://www.thelancet.com/cms/attachment/2113864408/2084408029/gr1.jpg

Under the "Acknowledgement" section, you can see who funded the study. It does not appear to have been biased in any direction.

As with any study, there are limitations. Many studies are completed via questionnaire, and a limitation here is always that you are relying on patient recall and honesty for your data.

It's a well-done study, though. However, I am but a lowly nurse practitioner student and I'm sure there are other experts out there who can provide more insight. In any case, it is very interesting. Thank you for sharing, OP.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I think LCHF seems protective as does HCLF. It's the inbetween of higher carbs (mainly refined and highly processed) AND higher levels of fat that seems to be the cause of the (health and weight) problem for many... mainly those who are not active.

I don't think it comes down to NO carbs or no fat, but keeping one or the other below around 10% seems helpful, ie. Ornish or Atkins

JMO

I should just keel over and die then with my macro split of moderate carbs, fat and protein (40%, 35% & 25%). It is amazing that I am in great health according to my bloods as I am not low or high in anything.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

JMO

I should just keel over and die then with my macro split of moderate carbs, fat and protein (40%, 35% & 25%). It is amazing that I am in great health according to my bloods as I am not low or high in anything.

So you eat a diet high in refined and highly processed carbs and high fats - that would imply lower protein - and are not active, eh?

Or you could be lucky. ;)

I think averaging over 20,00 steps a day, consuming more than a 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, consuming hardly any refined carbs (fruit, vegetable and wholegrains is mostly it), and a diet low in saturated fats while being high in unsaturated fats indicates that you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to me and my lifestyle.

That's what I meant... you are not high refined and processed carb, high fat and lower protein, nor are you inactive. You don't fit the population that I was referring to at all, so giving yourself as an example to prove it incorrect does not fit.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    isn't that the same journal that published vaccines causing autism? lol