Options
Hi
Great site, new to this forum. Looking to get some good tips and advice on healthy living. At the present time I am trying to decide whether to go on Lipitor to control my cholesterol. So will read some info on this site and hear what others have to say. Cheers!

Replies

• SandraMtaylor
    Options
    Wlcome!! Add me as a friend if you like.

Be careful about Lipitor! I was on them and had to stop taking. Very bad pains in my legs and in my hips.

Read as much as you can before you start!
  • pwrchrd
    pwrchrd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did the lipitor thing for a while. It caused incredible shoulder pain and they pulled me off it. Several other things just didn't dent the numbers much, especially considering how much of it I had to take. Doing it natural with diet now. I know the numbers will still be high but the reduction in fat has to be making my heart/arteries work easier. Good luck and if you chose the drug hope you don't have the side effect I did.

Tips for success: Record everything, both caloric intake and expenditure. Estimate high on intake and low on expenditure. Weigh yourself daily, record only the lowest weight, body %, waist size, etc. Expect plateaus or stalls, when they happen, change something, reduce calories, increase exercise. Remember, you can't change anything in the past, you can't change anything in the future, you can only execute in this very moment. Slip up? It's in the past, can't change it, don't waist time worrying about it. Execute in the moment and see the future you dream about realized.

Rock on!
  • ChristalJo
    Options
    They had me on Lipitor for all of about a week... It caused me extreme amounts of pain through arms, and caused my legs to go numb... Four years later, I still can't feel them about 50% of the time...
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Been on Lipitor for about 4 years. Haven't had any problem with it. Everyone reacts to medication differently and it's always best to talk to your doctor before taking anything. Good luck!
  • Paddy31
    Paddy31 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Tips for success: Record everything, both caloric intake and expenditure. Estimate high on intake and low on expenditure. Weigh yourself daily, record only the lowest weight, body %, waist size, etc. Expect plateaus or stalls, when they happen, change something, reduce calories, increase exercise. Remember, you can't change anything in the past, you can't change anything in the future, you can only execute in this very moment. Slip up? It's in the past, can't change it, don't waist time worrying about it. Execute in the moment and see the future you dream about realized.

Rock on!

This is great stuff...I'm just starting too, so thanks for the ideas.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I'm using simvastatin. If you do take a statin, remember to also take 200 mg of co-enzyme Q-10 everyday, too. I got cramps until I started using the CoQ-10. Also, I've had great success lowering cholesterol using a vegan diet. I hope to end the cholesterol meds through diet and weight loss. Until then, I feel like I'm doing something to safeguard my arteries. Good luck!
  • anieoakley
    Options
    I have been reading and watching youtube videos on cholesterol. The thing I am thinking now is my total has always been over 5.0, the latest before the last one was 6.4 and I got it down to 6.0 after three months of strict dieting. Those two numbers are the highest is was in 10 years. My HDL good cholesterol was 1.99 when I started diet and went down to 1.57 which I was not happy about and don't understand why? I followed a very strict diet and even before that I never ate red meat or anything fried etc. Anyways my LDL BAD cholesterol was 3.9 before I started and went up to 3.93 when three months was up and retested. i was shocked to see the numbers, how could my LDL go up slightly and my HDL go down when I followed it religiously? My doctor just says it is genetics. Now I think what i might trY and concenrate on is raising my HDL and of course lowering my LDL but if I can raise my HDL it will help lower my LDL and make my ratio better I would imagine. I thank all who has given me tips.