Back at it with PCOS

Marcieb21
Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
Hey everyone! My name is Marcie and I’m back on Mfp after struggling for years with infertility and gaining weight for no reason. I learned last fall that I have pcos, which i think has been part of the reason why I have gained so much weight back! I used mfp to lose about 30 pounds 7 years again and I’m hopeful to do the same this time as well! I’m looking for friends to help me along the way and if anyone is struggling with the same things I would love to hear your stories!!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Feel free to add. I have PCOS and have found keeping lower carbs (<150g), myo inositol and weight training has really helped regulate my symptoms. Best of luck to you!
  • spoonmfp
    spoonmfp Posts: 3 Member
    I also have PCOS and Diabetes - know that you are not alone! I've just started a blog too https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/spoonmfp so please feel free to give me a follow! :)
  • Bintzie
    Bintzie Posts: 24 Member
    I found out I had PCOS about 8 years ago but was basically just told "we can kind of treat it with birth control" (which did help with some things) and that was about it. I think the fact that I was really active at the time dampened the weight gain effects a bit until I got a desk job about 6 years ago and then a ballooned VERY quickly and have been fighting to figure out what works best for my body since. I started keto this year after a lot of research and it was going great, but then I fell off. I'm getting back on track now and feeling great. Hoping to lose around 60lbs. Feel free to add :smile:
  • sdu53r
    sdu53r Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone! Great to see we are not alone, I was diagnosed with POCS when I was 20, 12 years ago now and I tell you it’s not been a good 12 years! But let’s all help and support each other along our weight loss journey! Inspiration is a lovely thing.
  • HappyInTheWater
    HappyInTheWater Posts: 5 Member
    Hello! I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 40s and now I'm 64. I still struggle with my weight (which is why I'm on MFP again) and I have diabetes. Another problem I have is hair loss, which makes me very self-conscious. After 2 years of trying, I had a baby at age 40 with a perfect pregnancy and birth, and my son is the light of my life. I try to have more good days than bad, my diabetes is under control, and I exercise at least 5 days a week. Please drop me a line anytime if you want to communicate!
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    The most current medical treatment is metformin, to increase insulin sensitivity and thus normalize many of the related hormones. (This has the added bonus that recent studies hint at anti-cancer effects for metformin, too!) It may help you lose some weight, and it's definitely helped make my cycles more regular and less painful! (The DivaCup actually seems to help with that last part too, oddly enough.)
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    DrJanet98 wrote: »
    The most current medical treatment is metformin, to increase insulin sensitivity and thus normalize many of the related hormones. (This has the added bonus that recent studies hint at anti-cancer effects for metformin, too!) It may help you lose some weight, and it's definitely helped make my cycles more regular and less painful! (The DivaCup actually seems to help with that last part too, oddly enough.)[/

Yes I’ve been on metformin since finding out I had pcos, I do think this has helped
    Some!
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    I have PCOS and I was struggling with my symptoms until I started exercising regularly (about 5 times a week) and eating mostly Paleo with less than 90g of carbs/day. I found that was the most sustainable way of losing and maintaining weight for me. I have lost 5kg in less than two months doing this as it turns out I have quite a few food intolerances (gluten & dairy) that were stopping me from losing weight before. Going dairy free does really help alleviate the PCOS symptoms as well.

I tried Keto before but I felt like it was very unsustainable as its too restrictive and it caused me to binge. I wish you the best of luck and it's only a matter of finding what works for you and making it into a lifestyle rather than something to do short-term in order to lose weight.
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    Hi, I also have PCOS, please add me as I am struggling so much to lose weight. I walk 5 times a week for 75 min (6.5 km) on my lunch, been seeing a dietitian & since doing so have gained weight instead of losing it & also walk 30-40 min in the evenings. I burn about 11-1200 calories a day & consume about 12-1400 calories, I just can't find a groove that will help me!
  • TalliFay
    TalliFay Posts: 7 Member
    I have suspected PCOS (Doctor said tests were inaccurate and refused to give me one!) Grrrrrr but I have trouble keeping weight off, and it's hard to lose as well, and would like to lose around 30lb. Definitely need some supportive friends so feel free to add me!
  • kroe4
    kroe4 Posts: 111 Member
    Saltine24 wrote: »
    Hi, I also have PCOS, please add me as I am struggling so much to lose weight. I walk 5 times a week for 75 min (6.5 km) on my lunch, been seeing a dietitian & since doing so have gained weight instead of losing it & also walk 30-40 min in the evenings. I burn about 11-1200 calories a day & consume about 12-1400 calories, I just can't find a groove that will help me!

My doctor told me to stop exercising so much! She said with PCOS walking/exercising for long periods of time was counterproductive. She said to stick with 20-25 minute walks/workouts. I cut it back to a 20 minute walk in the evening and the weight started falling off! I pick up the pace and find that I'm now going farther in those 20 minutes that I ever was before. I felt so lazy! But it works. If your struggling to loose try that. (I've lost 53 lbs since March 1st!)
  • kroe4
    kroe4 Posts: 111 Member
    Feel free to add me! My PCOS story is on my profile. Lost all my weight about 8 years ago now and bam, got pregnant. Now I have a 7 year old lol I gained it all back plus some during that pregnancy. Over the years I kept gaining and tried a ton of fertility treatments that didn't work, but magically somehow despite not loosing weight, I got pregnant again two years ago and now have a one year old little boy! I started on MFP March 1st and I'm down 53 lbs so far! (Now I have to actively try not to get pregnant lol)
  • skysmom26
    skysmom26 Posts: 61 Member
    I can relate. Im back on mfp as well. I was up and down from one medical thing to the next. 2015 to this year I maintained a 60lb loss. Nowhere near enough from how big I became. Jump to now Ive been on keto/counting calories strictly since mothers day and down 17 more lbs. I really feel like I got this now and I will make my goals. Ide love some friends on here that are on a similar path. :)
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    I was also diagnosed with PCOS almost 2 decades ago and have reversed it through diet and exercise. I was on Metformin for a very short time. Eating lower carbs to control insulin spikes and exercise both help with the hyperinsulinemia that is one of the 4 conditions of PCOS. For some, birth control is needed. Also may want to look at thyroid, cholesterol, vitamin D levels, and blood pressure as those tend to be comorbid conditions or contributing factors. I also avoid soy protein products as they may worsen PCOS by throwing off hormone balance.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    I also have PCOS in 1 yr & 9 months I lost 100 lbs, let myself go and gained 30 lbs back within 5 months :'( I'm trying to start over and get back down to ONEderland!
  • Alliethom711
    Alliethom711 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello fellow pcos warrior & welcome back! Please feel free to add me so we can help to keep each other accountable while also sharing support.
  • Saltine24
    Saltine24 Posts: 143 Member
    edited June 2018
    kroe4 wrote: »
    Saltine24 wrote: »

My doctor told me to stop exercising so much! She said with PCOS walking/exercising for long periods of time was counterproductive. She said to stick with 20-25 minute walks/workouts. I cut it back to a 20 minute walk in the evening and the weight started falling off! I pick up the pace and find that I'm now going farther in those 20 minutes that I ever was before. I felt so lazy! But it works. If your struggling to loose try that. (I've lost 53 lbs since March 1st!)

Thanks for the advice!

Last Sept I started walking on my treadmill, started out at 120km for the whole month, come Oct I crushed that, so bumped it up to to 250, then Nov up to 300 Km, then Dec 350 Km (didn't reach that goal just because of xmas & time off my weekly work routine (2 weeks holidays from work)) . I tried keeping my Carbs down to about 100g & I was losing a bit of weight not then all of Dec & Jan was at a stand still. I saw my Dietitian at the end of Jan the first thing she suggested to me was to cut out my 5k run in the mornings before work, I did that & lost about another 5-8 lbs (saw my lowest weight ever reached 213 lbs). By the middle of March I slowly started to gain again so saw the dietitian again & she suggested I am not eating enough calories & said to not go below 1200 (was eating closer to 1000-1200 before) & readjusted my macro's on MFP. This change did nothing for me what so ever, so the end of April I was so frustrated as I was back up to 220 lbs, I decided to start my morning runs again, big mistake on my part...even though it felt so good to run again, I ended up pulling a tenant in my knee, & had to stop exercising for a couple weeks. Last week I saw the same dietitian & all she suggested to me was if I want to workout just make sure I eat 200 more calories than I burn. As of right now my average burnt calories is just under 1100 cal & walking about 10 KM per day...I just started this on Monday and am keeping a spreadsheet for this month to see if this works...as of this morning my weight was up to 225.5 (TOM is also here atm). I am the same weight I was back in Jan :s

I do notice if I am not working out as much I do feel lazy & mentally feel like I am not doing everything I can to lose. I desperately want to have children but cannot (just due to health risks & family history) until I reach 200 lbs which feels so far away & nearly impossible!!

Seems like the more I try the farther away I get! I am usually a very positive person but this is kicking me in the *kitten*.
  • kristenroller
    kristenroller Posts: 1 Member
    i have the same struggles with PCOS. about 10 years ago I lost about 40 lbs and a couple years later gained it all back and then some. I hit my highest weight about 3 years ago. I have started tracking my food and exercise and have lost about 6 lbs in about 5 weeks. I have also read that with PCOS your body takes 8x longer to process sugar so am trying to eat less sugar and carbs. I have also been more active. These have seemed to help. I think only the good ole eating healthier and exercising is helping. I wish there was a pill we could take and our struggles would be gone. I have been dealing with PCOS for probably 20 or so years but was only diagnosed about 12 years ago.
  • aresvallis
    aresvallis Posts: 30 Member
    TalliFay wrote: »
    (Doctor said tests were inaccurate and refused to give me one!)

Tell your doctor they're full of it.
    A couple doctors did that to me too in the States only they said I'd have to get imaging to be diagnosed yet my NHS docs said they can diagnose it perfectly fine through blood labs. Go to a different doctor until you find one that gives you the full battery- it's perfectly accurate. They diagnosed me purely based on my testosterone level which was sky high enough to grow a beard. You can also get an ultra sound to see if there are any cysts present; note they don't have to be to have the syndrome.
    Marcieb21 wrote: »
    I learned last fall that I have pcos, which i think has been part of the reason why I have gained so much weight back!

You'll find that pretty common among us PCOSers, there's a lot of co-morbidities that contribute to the unwarranted weight gain, like hypothyroidism which is a pain trying to get diagnosed by itself. I just joined one of the PCOS groups and I learned a lot and it's really nice having a place to vent about frustrations- like the doctors did the "we'll give you birth control and have a nice day" thing to me too until recently when I started having issues on the BC. There's also a lot of other things that will help alleviate symptoms.

Feel free to add me, I've been going it alone for a long while. I've only been officially diagnosed for three years but I've suspected I've had it for about ten.